Windows 10: Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

Discus and support Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This annoyance is still evident in Windows 11 22H2, perhaps because it's deeply embedded in the code or of very low priority, Many years ago, it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by borate, Oct 1, 2022.

1. borate Win User

Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

This annoyance is still evident in Windows 11 22H2, perhaps because it's deeply embedded in the code or of very low priority, Many years ago, it was referred to MS high level support.When assigned shortcut keys are used to launch a program there is a delay - usually about three to four seconds. When the same program is mouse-clicked, it launches immediately. The delay can negatively affect macro execution.Here's a related thread, one of several, that details the issue... https://tinyurl.com/2hvs4ou8The one and only fix is to STOP and DISABLE SysMain in the Services list. To see that list,

:)

borate, Oct 1, 2022
  2. joShu001 Win User

Custom keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

Nyima, thanks for suggesting some methods to fix this problem.

Unfortunately, none of them worked for me.

I recommend you try to replicate the problem on your own device:

Create a keyboard shortcut to an app or folder in Windows 10.

Windows help & learning

Then try the shortcut you just created.

Note how long it takes.

Then use a built-in short such as CTRL SHIFT ESC (Task Manager)

Note how long it takes.

Compare the times.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, in Windows 8 custom keyboard shortcuts used to take a long time, and then keyboard shortcuts became very fast after a Windows 8 patch.

Then I updated to Windows 10 and now the shortcut delay is back.

I have two Windows 10 devices and the keyboard shortcut delay is on both of them.

It is something inherent to Windows 10.

Since non-custom shortcut keys (E.g. CTRL SHIFT ESC, Windows Key E, etc., Windows Key 1, etc.) are nearly instantaneous I compromised on this problem for now by putting the links I commonly use on the taskbar using this technique:

Pin Any Item to the Windows 7 Taskbar

The first link on your taskbar corresponds to the shortcut Windows Key 1, etc.

Compromising in this manner means I have to relearn all my shortcuts, annoying, but at least these taskbar shortcuts have no delays, unlike the custom shortcut keys.

joShu001, Oct 1, 2022
  3. Custom keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

I have the same delay of about 2-3 seconds with keyboard shortcuts. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 build 10240. To Windows Notepad I assigned the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+K.

The problem is the process called 'ApplicationFrameHost.exe'. If I close it in the Task Manager (Details) then all the shortcuts work
    immediately. The ApplicationFrameHost process is used for the new Windows 10 apps like Calculater. If you start Calculater (also a shortcut) it starts directly.

But after a while (e.g an hour) shortcuts get slow again. Closing 'ApplicationFrameHost.exe' again takes away the delay.

Please Microsoft, fix this bug.

ErikOnline789, Oct 1, 2022
  4. Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

Custom keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

I have the same delay of about 2-3 seconds with keyboard shortcuts. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 build 10240. To Windows Notepad I assigned the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+K.

The problem is the process called 'ApplicationFrameHost.exe'. If I close it in the Task Manager (Details) then all the shortcuts work
    immediately. The ApplicationFrameHost process is used for the new Windows 10 apps like Calculater. If you start Calculater (also a shortcut) it starts directly. But after a while (e.g an hour) shortcuts get slow again. Closing 'ApplicationFrameHost.exe'
    again takes away the delay.

Please Microsoft, fix this bug.

ErikOnline789, Oct 1, 2022
Thema:

Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

1. Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute - Similar Threads - Keyboard shortcuts slow

2. Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute: This annoyance is still evident in Windows 11 22H2, perhaps because it's deeply embedded in the code or of very low priority, Many years ago, it was referred to MS high level support.When assigned shortcut keys are used to launch a program there is a delay - usually about...
  3. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?: It takes at least 2-3 seconds for my applications to open when pressing a custom Keyboard Shortcut I configure for Desktop Shortcuts.This issue is recurrent on 3 computers I use Windows 10.I've read multiple articles, forums and posts but I haven't found any useful...
  4. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?: It takes at least 2-3 seconds for my applications to open when pressing a custom Keyboard Shortcut I configure for Desktop Shortcuts.This issue is recurrent on 3 computers I use Windows 10.I've read multiple articles, forums and posts but I haven't found any useful...
  5. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Win10 slow to run executables

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 slow to run executables: This is particularly noticeable on small apps I am used to seeing open the moment I click them. The best way I Can describe it I suppose its kind of lag a heavy a/v lag, but it even does it if I disable real time checking in defender. I still have my win8 on another boot...
  7. Slow Loading and executing programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Loading and executing programs: My pc began to slow down shortly after the update at the beginning of December 2019. It continued until yesterday when the system would not open a program or icon. I originally thought that my MS Office 2016 programs were corrupted since I could not get Outlook to open. I...
  8. Ubuntu App Keyboard Shortcut Slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ubuntu App Keyboard Shortcut Slow: I just setup a keyboard shortcut to open a new terminal for the Ubuntu app. However, it takes 5 seconds to open which is longer than it takes me to manually open a new window. How can I make it faster? 102869
  9. Prompt to execute shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Prompt to execute shortcut: This time, for once, I actually want an "Are you sure . . ." window to pop up when executing a shortcut. Any suggestions? 77000
  10. Keyboard Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Shortcuts: How do you turn OFF keyboard shortcuts? I never use them but when I'm typing, I often hit CTRL when I mean the Shift key and then whatever letter I hit next is then combined with CTRL and displays something I don't want. I've been unable to find the setting that hopefully...