Windows 10: Keyboard showing incorrect characters

Discus and support Keyboard showing incorrect characters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Cannot get pound symbol, while @ and " symbols appear to have swapped. I have ensured UK English is on the Control settings and makes no difference... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jeff & alligregory, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Keyboard showing incorrect characters

Cannot get pound symbol, while @ and " symbols appear to have swapped. I have ensured UK English is on the Control settings and makes no difference

:)

jeff & alligregory, Jul 12, 2018

2. Keyboard types wrong characters

Hello Hannah,

If you're having issues with your laptop's keyboard, we highly suggest performing the troubleshooting steps in this article:

Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    . If the issue persists, you may also try the suggestions posted by Deepak Kodi in this
    thread. Quite a few people found his suggestions helpful.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Jul 12, 2018
  3. DimaAdham Win User
    Arabic keyboard missing characters

The Arabic keyboard in WP8 is missing quite a few characters which renders it useless. In older versions, the missing characters were available through pressing the shift key but the latter is not available in WP8 while in the Arabic keyboard.

The list of missing characters are:

• Arabic Letter Yeh with Hamza Above
    • Arabic Letter Alef with Hamza Above
    • Arabic Letter Alef with Hamza Below
    • Arabic Letter Alef with Madda Above
    • Arabic Letter Hamza Isolated Form
    • Arabic Letter Waw with Hamza Above
    • All Diacritics are missing.
    I hope you have plans to fix this serious issue. It's extremely annoying.

DimaAdham, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Keyboard showing incorrect characters

resetting keyboard symbols

Hi Carol,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to remove English UK and just have the default English US under keyboard input language and check.

Step 1:To keep English US as the default input language and to remove other installed services

a. Type Settings in the search bar and click on the setting symbol on the top right.

b. Click on Time and Languages.

c. Click on Region and Languages.

d. Under the languages tab.

e. Click and Change the language to English US.

Step 2:Use on screen keyboard to type the characters (@, “)

To use on-screen keyboard, follow the steps below.

a. Click on Start; type “On-screen” without quotes and hit Enter.

b. Now check if you’re able to get right characters.

Let us know if it helps or post back for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard showing incorrect characters

1. Keyboard showing incorrect characters - Similar Threads - Keyboard showing incorrect

2. Keyboard characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard characters: why is my surface laptop keyboard suddenly typing incorrect keys eg. @ is typing " visa versa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-characters/0649b96f-33d7-40a7-bfc7-9c6c564b6b2b
  3. Keyboard characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard characters: why is my surface laptop keyboard suddenly typing incorrect keys eg. @ is typing " visa versa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-characters/0649b96f-33d7-40a7-bfc7-9c6c564b6b2b
  4. altcodes generate incorrect characters/symbols

in Windows 10 Gaming
    altcodes generate incorrect characters/symbols: Hi,Further to this closed thread:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alt-codes-not-working-on-certain-apps-under/39b7028e-9078-4bba-9bcb-dd09caa7d721altcodes still generating wrong characters/symbols. Final posting on thread states "This bug has been fixed...
  5. altcodes generate incorrect characters/symbols

altcodes generate incorrect characters/symbols: Hi,Further to this closed thread:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alt-codes-not-working-on-certain-apps-under/39b7028e-9078-4bba-9bcb-dd09caa7d721altcodes still generating wrong characters/symbols. Final posting on thread states "This bug has been fixed...
  6. Keyboard Characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Characters: I will soon need to create text documents in spanish. This language (as others) has specific character requirements. For example, a sentence that is a question begins with an upside down question mark, sometimes the letter 'n' has a small mark above it, etc. How do I proceed?...
  7. Incorrect keyboard characters in "Save" dialog from browsers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Incorrect keyboard characters in "Save" dialog from browsers: My keyboard types odd characters after Save As.... when logged into banking and after that. I don't know how to fix it afterwards. I saw from previous posts that other users have the same problem and that Sophos' keyboard protection under "secured browser" seems to be the...
  8. Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character)

Windows mail app shows my name incorrectly (strange character): I have two microsoft emails, one ends in hotmail.com and the other in outlook.com. If i login into the outlook.com website and send a message from the hotmail email to the outlook one, it will display my name correctly, which is "Miguel Simões". The same thing happens if i...
  9. Incorrect keyboard characters in "Save" dialog from browsers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Incorrect keyboard characters in "Save" dialog from browsers: A very weird thing happening with my keyboard characters - in the "Save" dialog box from my browser my keyboard is typing random incorrect characters. For example, pressing the "T" on the keyboard multiple times might give me a string of text like "o8dkejhrs". This is ONLY...
  10. Keyboard incorrectly displays the wrong characters.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard incorrectly displays the wrong characters.: Microsoft Sculpt wireless keyboard 1531. Did a Windows 10 update, now the keyboard will not work. It displays the wrong characters, for instance when I press the "b"-key it displays "By" and when I press the "o"-key it displays ";o". I tried it on two different laptops;...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. incorrect keyboard characters windows 10

2. showing incorrect keyboard