Windows 10: Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it.

Discus and support Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Win 10 desktop system that has basically been working fine for years. In recent weeks, about once a day, the computer will beep three times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AntonyStark1, May 3, 2020.

1. Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it.

I have a Win 10 desktop system that has basically been working fine for years.

In recent weeks, about once a day, the computer will beep three times and then the keyboard will stop working, while I've been happily working with the computer for a few hours. The num lock light goes out and the keyboard stops working. The mouse continues to work normally. Everything I can do with the mouse alone still works, so I can start programs by clicking on them and I can reboot. After rebooting, the keyboard works again, and will continue to work for several hours.

The keyboard is an OmniKey/Ultra from Northgate connected with a PS/2 connector.

This is a dual-boot system and this does not happen under Ubuntu 18.3.

I have tried:

1 reloading the keyboard driver

2 running the keyboard troubleshooter under "Settings" --- it detects no problem, even when the keyboard has just died.

3 hitting the "windows key" and "spacebar" simultaneously

4 I have turned off "Use Filter Keys" under keyboard settings

5 I have run an SFC scan and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

None of these work and none indicates that anything has gone wrong with the operating system. A Malwarebytes scan and Norton 360 real-time monitoring indicate no problem.

:)

AntonyStark1, May 3, 2020
  2. vmishka Win User

Keyboard stopped working under Windows 10

I have an iMac dual booting Mac OSX and Windows 10 under Bootcamp. I have the normal iMac wireless keyboard.

Windows has been running normally for several years since the day I got the computer. Windows 10 has been running normally since the day I was able to automatically download it in August.

Today, my keyboard stopped working under Windows 10. I am writing this from the Mac side. The keyboard works perfectly and the battery power is 100% under Mac OSX.

When I boot to my Windows partition (which is the default) I have to use the keyboard to sign-in under Windows. The keyboard works fine for sign-in! Then, as soon as I get to my desktop, the keyboard stops working entirely. No key produces a letter. The cursor doesn't move. I hear a click in my headset when a key is pressed, but nothing happens.

The mouse works. If I reach the hardware and devices portion of the control panel, as far as I can tell things the keyboard device says it is working properly. I remember a wireless keyboard listed and a bluetooth keyboard and something called an HID device. Windows reports that they are working properly. I managed to open the troubleshooter using the mouse only and it couldn't find a problem.

I have turned the computer off and on several times.

Would someone be so kind as to suggest how I can find and fix the problem.

Thank you.

vmishka, May 3, 2020
  3. Wired Keyboard and Mouse Stop Working - Windows 10

Wired Keyboard and Mouse Stop Working - Windows 10
    I have an old Dell Studio that is running windows 10 ---

Ir has Windows 10 and SSD installed - to me it does what it needs to do but this darn mouse and keyboard stuff stopping working with no rhyme or reason is making me very frustrated.

Keyboard and Mouse are wired - NOT WIRELESS

• I cannot easily unplug and plug in the mouse/keyboard to get it going again... they are still lit up but they are dead basically and I have to do a hard reset.
    • USB selective suspend is disabled.
    • I checked the drivers for the keyboard and mouse and they are updated.
    • I checked to see if PC has KB4074588 and it does not.

I am not sure what else to do.... I can go days without the issue and then days where anytime I step away from the PC it stops working.

I can say when it is working it just does not just stop ... only when I walk away and the machine is idle or the screen is locked.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MrKris0019, May 3, 2020
  4. Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it.

Built in keyboard not working

I recently purchased an ASUS ROG GL553VD Notebook Computer and a few weeks ago the keyboard stopped working. After a few restarts it worked again, but today the problem came back, and was not fixed by any amount of restarting. Several people on past posts said to reinstall they Keyboard driver, but there was no Keyboard section in the Device Manager. I am currently resetting the laptop to factory settings to see if that fixes the issue. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DanielJH99, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it.

1. Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it. - Similar Threads - Keyboard stops working

2. explorer.exe keeps soft rebooting once or twice a day

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    explorer.exe keeps soft rebooting once or twice a day: Explorer.exe seems to undergo soft reboots one or two times a day. Despite these reboots, the computer continues to run, and I typically don't lose any of my work. To provide more detail, whenever I'm working on something, the system begins to lag significantly and...
  3. My Keyboard stops working on one Pc after about 5 switches with my KVM Switch. Only Reboot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Keyboard stops working on one Pc after about 5 switches with my KVM Switch. Only Reboot...: Ok, my setup is the following: I have a PC Running Windows 11 and a Laptop connected to a Docking station. Both Laptop and Pc are connected to a KVM switch with 2 monitors, a keyboard and a mouse.When I start my PC, everything works fine.I can switch to the Laptop, Can use...
  4. My Keyboard stops working on one Pc after about 5 switches with my KVM Switch. Only Reboot...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Keyboard stops working on one Pc after about 5 switches with my KVM Switch. Only Reboot...: Ok, my setup is the following: I have a PC Running Windows 11 and a Laptop connected to a Docking station. Both Laptop and Pc are connected to a KVM switch with 2 monitors, a keyboard and a mouse.When I start my PC, everything works fine.I can switch to the Laptop, Can use...
  5. Getting a BSOD about once per day

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting a BSOD about once per day: Hi, I've had this computer for about a year and have lately been getting a BSOD about once per day. I ran a memory diagnostic, checked that Windows 10 was up to date, check that NVIDIA was up to date, and blew out some dust from inside of the computer (there wasn't much). I...
  6. Does anyone know why my keyboard only works for about 2 days, then stops working for about...

Does anyone know why my keyboard only works for about 2 days, then stops working for about...: Hello, my laptop's built in keyboard works for about 2 days then stops working for about 2 days. However an USB keyboard always works. My built in keyboard's driver in device manager also is displayed as "HID keyboard device" which is strange as that is the same driver for my...
  7. Why is my PC Rebooting once a day

Why is my PC Rebooting once a day: My PC seems to be rebooting on it own once per day, after left on at night. It appears to happen while I am sleeping and not using the PC. This has only been happening recently. The only thing I can think of that might coincide with the start of the issue is my power...
  8. USB controller stops working at least once a day.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB controller stops working at least once a day.: Hey, I got a problem, I have bought myself a new controller for use on my windows pc, pc is about half a year old. The weird problem is, the controller, a third party ps4 compatible controller works fine but at least once a day, haven't it happen twice yet, the damn thing...
  9. Browsing ONLY (not mail) stops working about half hour after reboot

in Browsers and Email
    Browsing ONLY (not mail) stops working about half hour after reboot: This is about a laptop running Windows 10 that my wife uses only on trips. So this morning, I turned it on and Windows installed the 1703 update. Then I got some weird message about Norton firewall "expired" and so Windows Defender firewall was turned on. I updated Norton...
  10. BSOD once a day, then fine after reboot

BSOD once a day, then fine after reboot: Hey I'm getting a BSOD once a day or every time my computer has been turned off for longer than just a reboot. When the computer reboots after the BSOD it runs just fine with no incidents until the next time its turned off for a bit. IIRC it started after x version...