Windows 10: Keyboard typing random letters and numbers

Discus and support Keyboard typing random letters and numbers in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Accidentally pressed something on my keyboard and now it types random letters and numbers whenever you press certain keys.Also on my lock screen so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NicoleGruber, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Keyboard typing random letters and numbers

Accidentally pressed something on my keyboard and now it types random letters and numbers whenever you press certain keys.Also on my lock screen so I can’t get to device manager from my keyboard Because I can’t type in my password. Please help

:)

NicoleGruber, Sep 11, 2021

2. Keyboard typing random letters

I am running Windows 10 build 18945 and random applications (most of them) are getting typed in random letters. I have found many things saying check your input language but i only have one that is English (US).

And the random letter a key will type is not always the same. I can hold down 'a' for instance and it'll type a series of numbers and letters. So it is not consistent

Example, copy and pasted holding down 'a'

One of the only applications that correctly recognizes the input is Firefox

Pretty sure it isn't a hardware issue, because it is not in all applications.

This is an integrated keyboard in the Lenovo ThinkPad T430s

It also seems to be intermittent

EDIT If i remember right, this started around disabling credential and device guard (I can't use any emulator/virtualization with them on because the virtualization is then exclsuively used by Hyper-V, and i needed to run Intel HAXM)

linuxandria, Sep 11, 2021
  3. Keyboard Typing Random Letters

Help! I don't know what happened but my keyboard will type seemingly random letters/number every time you push any key (even same key multiple times). I have gone into the computer's keyboard settings and switched languages from and back to the original
    English settings and nothing has changed. The odd thing is that it works on some programs and not others.

It works on:

Chrome, File Explorer, Internet Passwords, Steam, Spotify, iTunes

Doesn't work on:

Microsoft Settings, Cortana, Microsoft Store, OneNote, Sticky Notes, Calendar, Audible, Mail

The trend is that it doesn't work on most Microsoft Applications but it does on the other Apps

JonathanMerry, Sep 11, 2021
  4. v_realo Win User

Keyboard typing random letters and numbers

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Hi flemmingknudsen,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor.

I understand you are having trouble with your keyboard which types numbers instead of letters. Let me help you with this.

I understand that you have tried the num lock key and it's the same outcome.

Have you tried to press Fn key + Num lock? If not, try it and see if it will fix the concern.

If still it will not fix the issue, follow this steps:

1.Press Windows Key + R then type osk and hit Enter to open On-Screen Keyboard.

2.Turn off Num Lock by clicking on it (If it is ON it will be shown in different color).

3.If you can’t see the Num lock then click on Options.

4.Checkmark “Turn on numeric key pad” and click OK.

5.This will enable the NumLock option and you could easily turn it off.

6.Reboot your PC to save changes.

Lastly, sometimes 3rd party software can conflict with Hardware such as Keyboard and can cause this issue. In order to Fix Keyboard Typing Numbers Instead of Letters issue, you need to perform a clean boot on your PC .

1. Press windows key + R, then type msconfig.

2. Select In General tab, select Selective Start up, put a check mark on load system services and unchecked "Load start up items".

Let me know if you still have issues after these steps and let's work on this together.

I believe that these steps will help you solve this issue you have. If not, kindly contact me and let me know.

v_realo, Sep 11, 2021
Thema:

Keyboard typing random letters and numbers

1. Keyboard typing random letters and numbers - Similar Threads - Keyboard typing random

2. Sculpt Keyboard adding numbers to every letter typed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sculpt Keyboard adding numbers to every letter typed: Hello,I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue. My husband and I have the same Sculpt wireless keyboard. The other day, his keyboard began putting numbers into random keys - c52x3c and so on. So far I have:removed the batteries several timesreplaced batteries with...
  3. Sculpt Keyboard adding numbers to every letter typed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sculpt Keyboard adding numbers to every letter typed: Hello,I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue. My husband and I have the same Sculpt wireless keyboard. The other day, his keyboard began putting numbers into random keys - c52x3c and so on. So far I have:removed the batteries several timesreplaced batteries with...
  4. Random Letters Typing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Letters Typing: When typing, particularly when typing emails, the symbol \ randomly appears after I type the letter r. Additionally, after I type c or e, occasionally a period randomly follows. More frequently, the window I type in maximizes to the fill screen setting or demaximizes as I...
  5. Random Letters Typing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Random Letters Typing: When typing, particularly when typing emails, the symbol \ randomly appears after I type the letter r. Additionally, after I type c or e, occasionally a period randomly follows. More frequently, the window I type in maximizes to the fill screen setting or demaximizes as I...
  6. Keyboard typing random numbers and characters

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard typing random numbers and characters: Hi,So I was playing a game on my computer when I suddenly noticed my keyboard was really buggy after I had messaged my friendI typed out: "Im in poggers on a call" poggers was a name of a minecraft world Instead it typed: "\im \in6 -pogge5rs on6 a call". It was typing random...
  7. My computer keys type random numbers and letters.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer keys type random numbers and letters.: This has been happening for a while. when I type the p key it types qerw- and clicks enter, when I type the 0key it types 0613428 when I type *it types *3zcv, shift and question mark pressed at the same time scrolls my page all the way down without shift it types...
  8. Keyboard on Lenonvo - types numbers when it should be letters -

Keyboard on Lenonvo - types numbers when it should be letters -: Have a lenovo Idealpad. It randomly types numbers when I use letters. example in the 'type here to search bar' does numbers. Plus have no ease of access option either. Been doing this since upgrading laptop to windows 10 from windows 7...
  9. Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters: keyboard types numbers instead of letters in the command window. Also in some other apps. Not in notepad, not in google chrome not in file explorer. Pressing Num Lock doesn't change anything. Using an Asus UX31e Zenbook with external mouse, keyboard and monitor. Keyboard...
  10. Keyboard Typing Random Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Typing Random Letters: Help! I don't know what happened but my keyboard will type seemingly random letters/number every time you push any key (even same key multiple times). I have gone into the computer's keyboard settings and switched languages from and back to the original English settings and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. PC Keyboard typing random letters windows 10