Windows 10: Keyboard waking desktop PC

Discus and support Keyboard waking desktop PC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm looking at a friend's computer where we can't stop the keyboard from waking the computer. Note I have another ongoing thread on here where my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Gusgf, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Gusgf Win User

Keyboard waking desktop PC

I'm looking at a friend's computer where we can't stop the keyboard from waking the computer. Note I have another ongoing thread on here where my desktop won't go into sleep mode reliably!! Honestly it would make you *Banghead

Because of trying to fix this wake issue another unrelated issue popped up regarding passwords/logins that I had been unaware of and I was originally going to include here but didn't as it's separate.

When I issue Code:
    it seems the culprit is a USB root hub, which one I don't know. When I look at the power management option for ALL the usb hubs 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is unticked for all AND greyed out.

In desperation I turned off 'sleep' by setting it to never in the options and tested 'hibernate' but the same thing happens. I touch the keyboard and the desktop comes back to life.

Would anyone have a suggestion?

:)

Gusgf, Feb 21, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard not waking PC up

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard doesn’t wake the computer from sleep or hibernate. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• Are you able to wake the computer using any other keyboard?
    • What is the complete model number of the Microsoft keyboard?

I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article
    Troubleshoot problems waking computer from sleep mode.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems
    resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

You can also try running the power troubleshooter and check if that helps.
    Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Update & Security, and select
      Troubleshoot from the left pane.
    3. Scroll down, look for Power troubleshooter, click on it and select
      Run the troubleshooter.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 21, 2021
  3. DonnaP Win User
    mouse/keyboard wont wake pc

Hi Dalchina My mouse (logitech) and Keyboard (dell) are both wireless. I have a Dell desktop all in one (no box) I have checked to see that the mouse and keyboard are checked to wake up the pc. It wont come off the black sleep screen. I hope I have followed instructions properly.
    Keyboard waking desktop PC [​IMG]

DonnaP, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Keyboard waking desktop PC

Microsoft comfort keyboard 5050 waking up my display

Hi Juan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the keyboard is waking the PC when you put the computer on sleep.

I would suggest you to try changing the power management settings for the keyboard and see if that helps. Kindly follow the steps mentioned below to change the settings.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and hit enter.
    3. Now expand the Keyboard section.
    4. Right click on the Keyboard driver and click on
      Properties.
    5. Select the Power management tab and uncheck the box
      Allow this device to wake the computer.
    6. Click on OK.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of troubleshooting steps to assist you better.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

Keyboard waking desktop PC

1. Keyboard waking desktop PC - Similar Threads - Keyboard waking desktop

2. Keyboard keeps waking PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keeps waking PC from sleep: HiI just downloaded latest Windows 11 Pro, installed, activated and updated it on PC.To make sure nothing is going to wake up the computer from sleep I opened Device Manager and unchecked "Allow this device to wake the computer" for:-Keyboards-Mouse-Ethernet ConnectionAfter...
  3. Keyboard keeps waking PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard keeps waking PC from sleep: HiI just downloaded latest Windows 11 Pro, installed, activated and updated it on PC.To make sure nothing is going to wake up the computer from sleep I opened Device Manager and unchecked "Allow this device to wake the computer" for:-Keyboards-Mouse-Ethernet ConnectionAfter...
  4. Remote Desktop Wake Host PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Wake Host PC?: My current remote desktop app wakes the Host PC from sleep when I sign in from a remote computer.If I use Windows 11's remote access, will the Host PC wake from sleep when I sign in from a remote location?Thanks in advance....
  5. Remote Desktop Wake Host PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Wake Host PC?: My current remote desktop app wakes the Host PC from sleep when I sign in from a remote computer.If I use Windows 11's remote access, will the Host PC wake from sleep when I sign in from a remote location?Thanks in advance....
  6. Waking up the PC with mouse or keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Waking up the PC with mouse or keyboard: Help me to set up waking the pc with a mouse or keyboard. Normally when my laptop goes to sleep, I have to press the power button to wake it up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waking-up-the-pc-with-mouse-or-keyboard/951b0a7c-36ee-4242-8eff-9a9d3fe59be0
  7. Keyboard and mouse will not wake my PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keyboard and mouse will not wake my PC: I have the option clicked on to have the mouse and keyboard to wake the pc up on sleep mode, but it will not work. Any suggestions? I have went to device manager and made sure the option is clicked on both to wake up pc not working. I have also checked for updates on...
  8. Mouse/Keyboard won't wake PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse/Keyboard won't wake PC: Hi there, I edited the BIOS settings to try and enable my keyboard and mouse and wake my computer from sleep, however now I am having the problem that moving the mouse/using keyboard also turns on my computer when it is powered off. Is there a way to get my computer to...
  9. mouse/keyboard wont wake pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mouse/keyboard wont wake pc: Since the last Windows updates at the beginning of the month, my mouse and keyboard will not wake pc from sleep mode. I am having to do a shutdown and startup again to use pc. I am not particularly savvy on how to fix, but any plain english ideas to solve this would be...
  10. PC wakes from hibernation with mouse and keyboard

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC wakes from hibernation with mouse and keyboard: Hi all. I've been struggling for weeks in finding a solution to this very annoying behavior of my new desktop pc running W10 Pro x64. I have successfully activated hibernate mode (S4), yet whenever the PC is hibernated a shake of the mouse or the press of any key on the...