Windows 10: Keyboard will lag behind and hold down keys randomly

Discus and support Keyboard will lag behind and hold down keys randomly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My keyboard has been acting up for the past 2 weeks or so. Even when the computer isn't under a heavy load sometimes randomly it will hold down a key i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MyDisplayName_321, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Keyboard will lag behind and hold down keys randomly

My keyboard has been acting up for the past 2 weeks or so. Even when the computer isn't under a heavy load sometimes randomly it will hold down a key i was trying to type with. This is not happening with my actual keyboard it seems more like a software problem. Usually restarting a few times makes it work for a bit, but not for long. My keyboard drivers are up to date and the keyboard trouble shooter doesn't detect a problem. What i did was a full factory reset to see if that would fix anything but no luck. here is an example of it holding down, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhelllo this isssssssssss me typing.

:)

MyDisplayName_321, Sep 20, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Jose Est Win User
    Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Sep 20, 2020
  4. Keyboard will lag behind and hold down keys randomly

One key has severe input lag but every other key is fine

The thing suggested by @lx07was yet another step of trouble shoot you need to perform to role out the hardware fail possibility than rather a topic for debate .
    I honestly did not suggest it just because its level of technicality is a bit high and I am not quite sure about your level .
    Yet however if you can do that step I can't see why not .
    And yet even if you still manage to get lag you are down to the route I just discussed in my previous post , nothing more to do .

P.S I am not even sure what you mean that the button performs well if you change layout , the aussie & u.s layouts do not even acknowledge that button and most probably assigns a different function / key to which hints the conclusion of your test might be slightly biased

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

Keyboard will lag behind and hold down keys randomly

1. Keyboard will lag behind and hold down keys randomly - Similar Threads - Keyboard lag behind

2. Computer holding down keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer holding down keys: Using windows 11 and my laptop keeps randomly holding down the letter “J” and “CTRL” I don’t know how to fix it my software is up to date. I’m plugged in with a keyboard and for some reason the laptop keyboard doesn’t work but the touchpad does. It was working perfectly fine...
  3. Computer holding down keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer holding down keys: Using windows 11 and my laptop keeps randomly holding down the letter “J” and “CTRL” I don’t know how to fix it my software is up to date. I’m plugged in with a keyboard and for some reason the laptop keyboard doesn’t work but the touchpad does. It was working perfectly fine...
  4. Keyboard input lag when holding down a key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard input lag when holding down a key: Hello everyone, I've got this issue with my keyboard since I built a custom PC, where it lags when I hold down a key. When I'm playing a video game, this gets annoying quick because I keep moving forward when hitting the W key, and have to wait before my spacebar hit...
  5. Keyboard input lag when holding down a key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard input lag when holding down a key: Hello everyone, I've got this issue with my keyboard since I built a custom PC, where it lags when I hold down a key. When I'm playing a video game, this gets annoying quick because I keep moving forward when hitting the W key, and have to wait before my spacebar hit...
  6. Problems with PC lag when holding down specific keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with PC lag when holding down specific keys: I hold on to control and alt and then press or hold A, D, G, U, C on the keyboard makes my pc lag and take a while to stop having delays on the keys. Could it be because of the keybinds?...
  7. keyboard can't hold down key and repeats keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard can't hold down key and repeats keys: my keyboard Repeats letters when i writing like that : pppleeaseeee heeelllppp and i Can't hold buttons in games after formate my pc For example: on csgo i can't move forward:when i hold Z it keeps reseting like I repeat to press that key this problem happend to me before...
  8. Keyboard holding down keys (not physically) when I hold down the key for a several seconds.

Keyboard holding down keys (not physically) when I hold down the key for a several seconds.: For the past couple of months, as described in the title, I have been getting an issue on my Laptop with my keyboard that holds down a key (not physically) after I have held it down for several seconds. I first noticed this when I was playing Minecraft where after holding...
  9. Holding down keyboard buttons

Holding down keyboard buttons: Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with a brand new keyboard on my PC. I recently bought Gembird KB-UMGL-01 keyboard and I'm having an issue when holding down a button. For example, whenever I'm playing World of Warcraft if I hold down W to walk forward it acts as if I'm...
  10. Random interrupts, while holding any keyboard button down.

Random interrupts, while holding any keyboard button down.: Hello, I'm a laptop user, but i'm using outside keyboard, because laptop inbuilt one broke (long time ago though). Since about three-two weeks, i'm getting random (each second-two), quarter second input breaks, while holding down any button or double input, when pressing...