Windows 10: Keyboard won't work to enter password, but works after log in

Discus and support Keyboard won't work to enter password, but works after log in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dell PC - keyboard has stopped working to enter password. I must enter the password using On Screen Keyboard. Once the password is entered and I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eheth98, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Eheth98 Win User

Keyboard won't work to enter password, but works after log in

Dell PC - keyboard has stopped working to enter password. I must enter the password using On Screen Keyboard. Once the password is entered and I am logged on, the keyboard works normally. Does anyone know how this can be corrected? Thanks!

:)

Eheth98, Nov 18, 2018
  2. Ticked Win User

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes.
    Solutions tried:

1. rebooted
    2. removed and replaced main battery
    3. attached USB keyboard
    4. hit Enter key on startup: successful in opening the Advance Options menu, but am unable to take any of the actions because all require that I enter the laptop password
    5. looked for an onscreen keyboard, but there isn't one because this isn't a touch screen computer
    Why I think this is a Windows issue:

1. the computer recognizes when I hit the Enter key on startup
    2. the USB keyboard doesn’t work
    3. the keyboard touchpad doesn’t work, but the attached USB mouse DOES work

Ticked, Nov 18, 2018
  3. FXP
    fxp Win User
    Keyboard works in boot up for password and not when I enter Windows 10

I have been using my Acer 10 tablet for about six months and had upgraded to Win 10 a while ago with no problems. This morning the keyboard stopped working. I checked the contacts to the tablet because it has a detachable keyboard, cleaned them with a soft brush, cleaner and rebooted, no luck. The keyboard when it boots allows me to key in my password and I have a USB mouse attached to the keyboard that works, but none of the keys work once I'm logged into Windows? If the screen times out and I try to enter the Password again, nothing. I can navigate around using the mouse, but have no ability to enter keyboard information. I went to Devices and uninstalled the keyboard drivers, rebooted, nothing. I ran Windows troubleshooting for devices, nothing. The onscreen keyboard has always worked. Since the keyboard does work for login I've concluded its a software problem. I'm stumped and would appreciate any suggestions, all welcome. *Sad

4. Keyboard won't work to enter password, but works after log in

Upgrade to windows 10. Current password doesn t work

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

Please let us know

• Are you logged in with a local account or Microsoft account?
    • Have you tried typing the password with On-Screen keyboard?
    I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: On-Screen Keyboard

You may use the accessibility options to pop open a on-screen keyboard and type the password from there to make sure you are typing the correct password.

If the issue persists,

Step 2:

If you see your email address listed there, it must be a Microsoft account. You will be able to reset the password and log in if your PC is connected to internet.

Refer,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/account-reset-password-forgot-faq

Hope this information was helpful.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

Keyboard won't work to enter password, but works after log in

1. Keyboard won't work to enter password, but works after log in - Similar Threads - Keyboard won't enter

2. Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen: Hello so I got into a problem that I am facing. So I was thinking of removing my pin from windows 10 latest update and turn on "power on when AC connected" from bios so I can continue downloading games automatically even if there's a power outage. I followed these exact...
  3. Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen: Hello so I got into a problem that I am facing. So I was thinking of removing my pin from windows 10 latest update and turn on "power on when AC connected" from bios so I can continue downloading games automatically even if there's a power outage. I followed these exact...
  4. Keyboard not working when entering Microsoft account password on lockscreen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Password won't work after entering safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password won't work after entering safe mode: Password won't work after entering safe mode Went into msconfig and changed to reboot in safe mode. Restarted. Now it asks me for my password and it doesn't work. I have tried my pin , and old password too. I have reset my password to make a new one too, which also...
  6. Keyboard won't work on log in screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard won't work on log in screen: I recently reseted my pc a HP rp5800 with windows 10, upon the log in screen pressing any key won't work so I'm stuck at the lock screen, please tell me how to fix this, I wanna be able to use my computer again...
  7. Password won't work

Password won't work: Password will not work at intial login or safe mode. I logged in successful on my other computer. It is not a pin I've tried safe mode 4, 5, & 6 I've tried using on screen keyboard I cant get to prompt screen because it won't take pswrd. Please help me. Thank you...
  8. Keyboard won't work after sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard won't work after sleep: I have a Dell XPS 15 9550 with Windows 10 Pro. I have ensured all software and drivers are up to date including the 1903 update, this problem started before the update. When my laptop wakes up from sleep mode the keyboard will not work at all. The touchpad and touchscreen...
  9. Password won't work.

Password won't work.: Hi, Yesterday I got a second hand Laptop, I had signed into my account and got everything I had on my old laptop onto my newer one. I switched my computer off for awhile this morning. But I couldn't log back in, I changed my password and tried logging in again but it...
  10. Password not working after entering safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password not working after entering safe mode: I am not able to login. I am stucked in safe mode. I try to off safe mode from cmd but it says operation failed. Please provide me a solution ....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. putty keyboard wont work after enter

2. keyboard wont work for pin or password