Windows 10: Keyboards keep typing the letter "r"

Discus and support Keyboards keep typing the letter "r" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently purchased a new computer and everything was running fine for a couple weeks, until my keyboard just started typing the letter "r" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Keyboard_Issues, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Keyboards keep typing the letter "r"

I recently purchased a new computer and everything was running fine for a couple weeks, until my keyboard just started typing the letter "r" and refused to stop. I restarted my computer, which fixed it for all of 30 seconds. Contacted Windows Support and did everything they told me to do. Checked my drivers, ran troubleshooter, ran their Safety Scan, even reset my computer to factory settings twice. Resetting my computer fixes the issue for about a week, maybe less, but then the computer keeps typing "r" again, always "r." I've used several different keyboards using every USB port that my computer has, even tried using nothing but the virtual keyboard, but without fail, "r" continues. I was told by Microsoft that it was a hardware issue, but when I called the company that made my computer, they told me that it was a software issue. Would greatly appreciate any help, because I've run out of options. Thanks

P.S. And yes, I have checked to make sure that there aren't any other keyboards plugged in and have made sure that sticky keys have been turned off

:)

Keyboard_Issues, Mar 18, 2021

2. Keyboard not typing letters

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I would suggest you to try the Onscreen keyboard and check if it helps.

Please have a look at this article and check if it helps. Even though the article is for Windows 8.1, the option to enable the onscreen keyboard is the same.

Use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) to type

After you are able to log in, I would suggest you to change the log in option or you may follow the steps provided by Neha Gupta to update the drivers and check if it helps.

Thank you.

Rohit Chettri, Mar 18, 2021
  3. v_realo Win User
    Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Hi flemmingknudsen,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor.

I understand you are having trouble with your keyboard which types numbers instead of letters. Let me help you with this.

I understand that you have tried the num lock key and it's the same outcome.

Have you tried to press Fn key + Num lock? If not, try it and see if it will fix the concern.

If still it will not fix the issue, follow this steps:

1.Press Windows Key + R then type osk and hit Enter to open On-Screen Keyboard.

2.Turn off Num Lock by clicking on it (If it is ON it will be shown in different color).

3.If you can’t see the Num lock then click on Options.

4.Checkmark “Turn on numeric key pad” and click OK.

5.This will enable the NumLock option and you could easily turn it off.

6.Reboot your PC to save changes.

Lastly, sometimes 3rd party software can conflict with Hardware such as Keyboard and can cause this issue. In order to Fix Keyboard Typing Numbers Instead of Letters issue, you need to perform a clean boot on your PC .

1. Press windows key + R, then type msconfig.

2. Select In General tab, select Selective Start up, put a check mark on load system services and unchecked "Load start up items".

Let me know if you still have issues after these steps and let's work on this together.

I believe that these steps will help you solve this issue you have. If not, kindly contact me and let me know.

v_realo, Mar 18, 2021
  4. Keyboards keep typing the letter "r"

The Letter R on my keyboard doesn't work properly

The Letter R on my keyboard takes a snapsot of my screen instead of typing the letter "R". Sorry, I am not very computer savvy and don't know if this is a Microsoft issue or not.

GaryWilliams7, Mar 18, 2021
Thema:

Keyboards keep typing the letter "r"

1. Keyboards keep typing the letter "r" - Similar Threads - Keyboards keep typing

2. My KEYBOaRd KeePs RANDOmLy TYpInG IN CAPITaL LETters.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My KEYBOaRd KeePs RANDOmLy TYpInG IN CAPITaL LETters.: SHIFT KEY ISSUeTRIEd rEStARTIng cOmPuTeR aND UNINStALLING COMpUtER KEyboaRD DRIVER, AND tHAT DIDN"T WORKCURRENTLY USING A WIreLESS KeYBOArD. KEYBoARD THaT caME wiTh THE COmpUTER IS The ONe CaUsING tHE PrOBleMs, As I uNPLUggEd THE wIRElesS AND TYpeD on ThE ORigINaL keybOaRd...
  3. My KEYBOaRd KeePs RANDOmLy TYpInG IN CAPITaL LETters.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My KEYBOaRd KeePs RANDOmLy TYpInG IN CAPITaL LETters.: SHIFT KEY ISSUeTRIEd rEStARTIng cOmPuTeR aND UNINStALLING COMpUtER KEyboaRD DRIVER, AND tHAT DIDN"T WORKCURRENTLY USING A WIreLESS KeYBOArD. KEYBoARD THaT caME wiTh THE COmpUTER IS The ONe CaUsING tHE PrOBleMs, As I uNPLUggEd THE wIRElesS AND TYpeD on ThE ORigINaL keybOaRd...
  4. Keyboard typing another letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard typing another letters: Hi, I'm having issue with my windows keyboard settings and I'm using window 11 for your reference. whenever I try to type fast using my keyboard then it types some letters of other english like language which have curves or lines into the letters. It generally occurs when I...
  5. my ps/2 keyboard won't quit typing the letter R randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my ps/2 keyboard won't quit typing the letter R randomly: My PS/2 standard keyboard will not quit typing the letter r. I have plugged in a usb keyboard, I have connected a Bluetooth keyboard and it still does it. I have manually updated the driver, ran keyboard troubleshooter. I have done windows update and even some command prompt...
  6. my ps/2 keyboard won't quit typing the letter R randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my ps/2 keyboard won't quit typing the letter R randomly: My PS/2 standard keyboard will not quit typing the letter r. I have plugged in a usb keyboard, I have connected a Bluetooth keyboard and it still does it. I have manually updated the driver, ran keyboard troubleshooter. I have done windows update and even some command prompt...
  7. Keyboard typing extra letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard typing extra letters: I've got a Lenovo e300 2nd gen running on Windows 10 Pro Education. An entire section of the keyboard is malfunctioning. When I press the 8 key in the top row, it types 13247890. When I push the i key, it types qewruiop. When I push the k key, it types adsfjkl;\. You'll...
  8. [Help] Keyboard not typing the letter A

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] Keyboard not typing the letter A: My keyboard, when plugged into my PC will not type a lowercase A. However when i use "Shift +A" or "Ctrl + A", those work just fine. I've plugged the keyboard into my laptop and this issue doesn't occur. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and that hasn't...
  9. Keyboard Typing Random Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Typing Random Letters: Help! I don't know what happened but my keyboard will type seemingly random letters/number every time you push any key (even same key multiple times). I have gone into the computer's keyboard settings and switched languages from and back to the original English settings and...
  10. Keyboard is typing the wrong letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard is typing the wrong letters: My Logitec K350 keyboard works fine when I plug it into my laptop. When I plug it into my desktop and search on Google, try to shop on Amazon, etc. it produces the wrong letter when I press on a few of them. s key types an i q key types a s e key types a m Same...