Windows 10: Keys are malfunctioning on laptop

Discus and support Keys are malfunctioning on laptop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I have an issue with my laptop where when pressing 2 keys at once, one or both will stop registering. This is especially annoying when playing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by s_seal, Aug 12, 2022.

1. s_seal Win User

Keys are malfunctioning on laptop

Hi, I have an issue with my laptop where when pressing 2 keys at once, one or both will stop registering. This is especially annoying when playing video games I mostly play Minecraft and typing in caps and such things. I have had this happen twice in the past, but it eventually went away. This has been going on for a few months now and such has not occurred. I've tried everything on the internet. I know it's not my keyboard. I've done multiple tests and have multiple keyboards. It could be related to another issue I posted if you want to check it out-https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo

:)

s_seal, Aug 12, 2022

2. Specific Keyboard Keys Malfunctioning

My keyboard keys have recently been malfunctioning. Sometimes, the keys do not register at all, and sometimes, it as to be pressed and held with force to register. Only a few select keys are effected, namely the: right arrow key, \, e, g, h, and 8 and 9 on the numerical keypad.

The keyboard was the factory keyboard included with my Asus X751LD laptop.

This started after I used a Java application. It is very unlikely to be a hardware issue, as the laptop was never moved or subjected to drops. Another possible factor is I have used Autosofted Keyboard Presser.

The keys function, although with lag, after startup, but stop working within a few seconds.

I have tried the following to no avail:

• Restarting
    • Restarting in Safe Mode
    • Updating keyboard drivers in Device Manager
    • Updating Java

These sites did not help:

Does anyone know how to fix this?

(Was a pain typing this, makes me understand just how much I use the e key)

Edit:

I tested the keyboard with a Linux live CD. First time I booted, the keys will not registrar in a notepad app unless I repetitively press them around 20 times. I rebooted into Linux again, this time the keyboard worked OK, but missed keystrokes occasionally. In both situations it was the same keys as described above that were malfunctioning.

After rebooting into Windows, the keyboard functioned like the 2nd situation above (occasional missed strokes) for around 5min. Then no amount of pressing on the malfunctioning keys could make it register.

George Tian, Aug 12, 2022
  3. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Aug 12, 2022
  4. Keys are malfunctioning on laptop

Windows 10 Laptop Keyboard Keys Acting Strange

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to the laptop to check if that helps.

Further you may also use the onscreen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 12, 2022
Thema:

Keys are malfunctioning on laptop

1. Keys are malfunctioning on laptop - Similar Threads - Keys are malfunctioning

2. Keys are malfunctioning on laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keys are malfunctioning on laptop: Hi, I have an issue with my laptop where when pressing 2 keys at once, one or both will stop registering. This is especially annoying when playing video games I mostly play Minecraft and typing in caps and such things. I have had this happen twice in the past, but it...
  3. keys malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keys malfunctioning: what should I do because while i am using my volume keys or play\stop keys they are opening chrome and i dont know why because i never got this problem ever before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keys-malfunctioning/82f2ec8f-80a5-49d9-9c82-6e53a17dc462
  4. keys malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    keys malfunctioning: what should I do because while i am using my volume keys or play\stop keys they are opening chrome and i dont know why because i never got this problem ever before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keys-malfunctioning/82f2ec8f-80a5-49d9-9c82-6e53a17dc462
  5. keys malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. some key are malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Customization
    some key are malfunctioning: My CTRL keu is working for mute and START & ALT keys are working for sleeep. please, help me. I am so frustrated with these setting. plesase, help me ... THANKYOU...
  7. Laptop is malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop is malfunctioning: My kids' laptop is not functioning anymore. It's browsing and efforts to start services proved abortive. The story is that the system was hanging and my wife used the power button to turn it off. After a restart, nothing works again. Please help. My daughter is missing her...
  8. Malfunctioning Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Malfunctioning Key: Hello! I have been plagued with a problem key as of late. Since the most recent update I believe. Whenever I press the Control Key, It will pull up the Taskbar Search. This has gotten in the way of many of my programs. Any suggestions?...
  9. Malfunctioning Control key.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Malfunctioning Control key.: Since the recent Windows 10 update, the Control key that allows me to select nonadjacent photo files in Lightroom, does not work. After this same update, the Screen Shots option does not work. Any advice about the first issue?...
  10. Malfunctioning windows key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Malfunctioning windows key: Not sure if this is a windows issue or a function of my laptop. When I hit my windows key to open up see my tiles and start menu, it opens up to Word. This has happened several times. When I exit word I "X" out which brings me right back to my desktop's wallpaper. I have...