Windows 10: Keys being held down not physically

Discus and support Keys being held down not physically in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This problem started last week, around when I got a new corded keyboard for my laptop. When I hold down a key, then let go, the computer continues to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Casper Coldiron, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Keys being held down not physically

This problem started last week, around when I got a new corded keyboard for my laptop. When I hold down a key, then let go, the computer continues to act like the key is pressed, until I press it again. it is not pressed physically It doesn't happen every time but it does often. I thought it was a problem with my corded keyboard but after going back to just my laptop for a while I've seen its happening with it as well. It doesn't usually happen after I just click the button, but it happened once or twice. It's usually a problem after holding a key down. I've updated windows and scanned for viruses. still nothing. Please help!

:)

Casper Coldiron, Oct 12, 2020

2. Control key held down

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

Before we proceed, please answer the following questions to help you better.

• Does this issue occur only while using the Microsoft Office Suite?
    • What is the exact error message that you get?

Check if the Sticky Keys and Toggle keys are turned on. If yes, I suggest you to turn it off. To do so, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + I and click on Ease of Access.
    • Click on Keyboard tab.
    • Turn off Sticky Keys and Toggle keys.
    • Check if the issue persist.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Oct 12, 2020
  3. Keys sticking (not physically)

I am encountering an issue where my computer (windows 10) will act as if a key on the keyboard is being held down even if it is not. The keys are not physically sticking.

The issue seems to manifest exclusively when a key is pressed a lot in a short time span (such as the W, A, S, or D keys when in games), and pressing the key again causes the erroneous input to cease.

I have sticky keys turned off so I do not know what is causing this and would appreciate a way to stop it from happening.

Thanks.

MichelleS. 1, Oct 12, 2020
  4. wallace99 Win User

Keys being held down not physically

File History does not back-up files held in the OneDrive folder even though physically held on hard drive

Thanks for the reply but I don’t think you read my question properly. I tried to make it clear that documents, pictures and videos are held within the OneDrive folder. They are physically there on the hard drive and thus available offline.

wallace99, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

Keys being held down not physically

1. Keys being held down not physically - Similar Threads - Keys being held

2. Laptop acting like ctrl key being held down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop acting like ctrl key being held down: My laptop is acting like the ctrl key is constantly being pressed down. I tried many solutions I could find online like troubleshooting keyboard, checking for updates, uninstalling the update that it stopped working after, pressing a series of keys. Nothing has worked. I...
  3. Laptop acting like ctrl key being held down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop acting like ctrl key being held down: My laptop is acting like the ctrl key is constantly being pressed down. I tried many solutions I could find online like troubleshooting keyboard, checking for updates, uninstalling the update that it stopped working after, pressing a series of keys. Nothing has worked. I...
  4. Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down: On certain MS applications such as mail or settings, I have an issue that is kind of hard to explain. Some examples are not being able to press the sleep button from the windows menu - it flashes grey as if it is being selected repeatedly by pressing the tab key. Another...
  5. Keys being held down for longer than I physically held them. Please help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keys being held down for longer than I physically held them. Please help!: For the past couple of weeks I have been having this problem with my laptop where after I let go of a key physically, the key I was holding down wouldn't stop. It has been happening very frequently and is making doing work and gaming very annoying. I have tried switching...
  6. Arrow key being held down?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Arrow key being held down?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Mordred0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hsrrvl/arrow_key_being_held_down/
  7. Key is held down (not physically) and no other key will work.

Key is held down (not physically) and no other key will work.: So I was playing roblox screwing around and all of the sudden my W key gets pushed down and my fan starts to work up, no other key responds and it won’t turn off whatever I do. Please help submitted by /u/not_Beta [link] [comments]...
  8. Windows 10 thinks a key is being held down, even with the keyboard held down

Windows 10 thinks a key is being held down, even with the keyboard held down: Windows (1903) now thinks that a key is being held down, even when there's no keyboard connected. At first it was the "k" key, and now the "s" key. This has rendered this PC pretty much unusable, and reformatting isn't an option as this is my gaming PC with a crap ton of...
  9. Windows receiving false key presses (as if a key is being held down)

Windows receiving false key presses (as if a key is being held down): So, every once in a while my computer starts acting like I'm holding down "6" number key when I'm not. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-receiving-false-key-presses-as-if-a-key-is/330da41a-adf2-435b-8c7a-9422d0685860
  10. Arrow keys in a state of being constantly held down

Arrow keys in a state of being constantly held down: I'm making a game with Unity and using the left and right arrow keys to move my character. When I press and release the buttons however, they act as if they were remaining pressed down. I've checked for driver and software updates and there currently are none. So how can I...