Windows 10: Keys on my laptop keyboard open random applications and doesn't let me type

Discus and support Keys on my laptop keyboard open random applications and doesn't let me type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, This is my first time posting but I could really use some urgent help. I have windows 10 on my laptop and whenever I try and use the keyboard,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by userkp1, Jun 1, 2021.

1. userkp1 Win User

Keys on my laptop keyboard open random applications and doesn't let me type

Hello, This is my first time posting but I could really use some urgent help. I have windows 10 on my laptop and whenever I try and use the keyboard, the keys open random applications and won't let me type. For example pressing 't' opens the snipping tool and 'n' opens the online get help page on Microsoft edge - I ran the keyboard troubleshooter and it detects no issues.- I have checked my settings and sticky keys are off. - I opened the device manager and uninstalled & restarted the keyboard and it still does not work. When I press ctrl + alt right before I press a letter, it lets me t

:)

userkp1, Jun 1, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Random applications opening when pressing any key on the keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that pressing keys in the keyboard opens random application, we will look into this for you. Please reply to the following questions to help you further:

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Have you tried using an external keyboard?

In the meantime, you can try the methods mentioned below:

Disable Sticky and Filter keys:

You can also try to disable the Sticky keys and Filter keys and see if that helps in resolving the issue. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. Type control and click on
      OK
      . This will open Control Panel.
    3. Click on View by and select
      Large icons
    4. Click on Ease of Access Center.
    5. Click on Make the keyboard easier to use.
    6. Uncheck the checkbox for Turn on Sticky Keys and Turn on Filter Keys.
    7. Click on Apply and OK.

Disable WindowsInkWorkspace:

To disable WindowsInkWorkspace, please follow the steps mentioned below:

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
    Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take backup of registry.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. Type regedit and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsInkWorkspace
    4. If you don’t find WindowsInkWorkspace key then, right click on
      Microsoft key, click on New and click Key.
    5. Rename the new key as WindowsInkWorkspace.
    6. On the right hand pane, right click select
      New
      , and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    7. Rename the key as AllowWindowsInkWorkspace.
    8. Double click on the value and set the value as
    9. Restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to use an external keyboard and check if you are facing the same issue.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 1, 2021
  3. keyboard doesn' t working

keyboard doesn' t working, it doesn't popup on my nokia lumia 735 after I took windows 10, 10586 version. Please, help!!!

ZelenaVisnja, Jun 1, 2021
  4. Keys on my laptop keyboard open random applications and doesn't let me type

Windows 10 Laptop Keyboard Keys Acting Strange

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to the laptop to check if that helps.

Further you may also use the onscreen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Jun 1, 2021
Thema:

Keys on my laptop keyboard open random applications and doesn't let me type

1. Keys on my laptop keyboard open random applications and doesn't let me type - Similar Threads - Keys laptop keyboard

2. My laptop keyboard doesn't type letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop keyboard doesn't type letters: Hello please help me, My laptop keyboard doesn't type letters. The FN key and it's shortcuts like volume and brightness work but letters and numbers don't. I tried updating the keyboard driver and reinstalling the device but nothing seems to work. If anyone could help me I...
  3. My laptop keyboard doesn't type letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop keyboard doesn't type letters: Hello please help me, My laptop keyboard doesn't type letters. The FN key and it's shortcuts like volume and brightness work but letters and numbers don't. I tried updating the keyboard driver and reinstalling the device but nothing seems to work. If anyone could help me I...
  4. why is my keyboard beeping and not letting me type?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my keyboard beeping and not letting me type?: Split from this thread. How can this be resolved on Mac please? it only happens in MS word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-keyboard-beeping-and-not-letting-me-type/43094596-ae76-4ae5-b224-d8aa4f462f83
  5. why is my keyboard beeping and not letting me type?

why is my keyboard beeping and not letting me type?: Split from this thread. How can this be resolved on Mac please? it only happens in MS word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-keyboard-beeping-and-not-letting-me-type/43094596-ae76-4ae5-b224-d8aa4f462f83
  6. why is my keyboard beeping and not letting me type?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my keyboard beeping and not letting me type?: my keyboard beeps when I’m in a game and keeps beeping when I type and then in the game I can’t type in chat because the keys are beeping and I have a feeling I’m pressing something on the right side of my computer that does it and starts it, but I’ve turned off toggle keys....
  7. why is my keyboard beeping and not letting me type?

why is my keyboard beeping and not letting me type?: my keyboard beeps when I’m in a game and keeps beeping when I type and then in the game I can’t type in chat because the keys are beeping and I have a feeling I’m pressing something on the right side of my computer that does it and starts it, but I’ve turned off toggle keys....
  8. Typing on keyboard laptop opens random windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Typing on keyboard laptop opens random windows: Recently my ow got updated to windows 11 from 10. since then my laptop keyboard is working erratically. Pressing 1 opens edge browser, pressing 2 opens some random window, some keys do not function. I have tried all the methods mentioned in the community but none of them...
  9. Typing on keyboard laptop opens random windows

Typing on keyboard laptop opens random windows: Recently my ow got updated to windows 11 from 10. since then my laptop keyboard is working erratically. Pressing 1 opens edge browser, pressing 2 opens some random window, some keys do not function. I have tried all the methods mentioned in the community but none of them...
  10. Keyboard don't let me to type the same key twice.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Keyboard don't let me to type the same key twice.: My keyboard don't let me to type the same key twice. It happend after a few hours and gone after I restart my laptop. I don't want to restart my laptop after a few hours. Have everyone solve this?...