Windows 10: Kids account lockdown: disable extensions in Microsoft Edge new version

Discus and support Kids account lockdown: disable extensions in Microsoft Edge new version in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to block my kid's account ability to install extensions in Microsoft Edge. His laptop is running Windows 10 Home edition. Since Group... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by TinyTiger84, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Kids account lockdown: disable extensions in Microsoft Edge new version

Hi,

I'm trying to block my kid's account ability to install extensions in Microsoft Edge. His laptop is running Windows 10 Home edition. Since Group Policy is not available on Home editions, I found some instructions for setting a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Extensions ExtensionsEnabled DWORD = 0, but that doesn't appear to do anything perhaps it's not hooked up to the new Edge yet?.

I also tried using Family Settings to block "edge://extensions" under "Web browsing" on his account, but that doesn't appear to do anything either.

Are there any options to disable extension installations in new Edge?

And -since I have your attention- do you know of any guides / information / instructions for further locking down a Windows 10 child account? For example, I want to fully disable the search in address bar functionality in the browser and the web search functionality in the Start menu; I found UI options for those, but the kid can change them right back from his own account, so I need something that fully disables the functionality such that only an Administrator can reverse it.

Thank you!

:)

TinyTiger84, Oct 9, 2020

2. Extensions in Microsoft Edge

I too add my name to the list of people who find Edge useless without extensions.
    Huge step backward folks.

BucketHead99, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Noela Tum Win User

Kids account lockdown: disable extensions in Microsoft Edge new version

edge extensions

Hello,

This issue with Microsoft Edge may occur if there is a system conflict. To isolate the issue, please answer the following questions:

• When did you first encounter the issue?
    • Can you give us a screenshot of the exact error message when you reopen Microsoft Edge?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?

You can also check out this helpful
    article
    about extensions on Microsoft Edge for more information.

Hope this helps and we'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Noela Tum, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

Kids account lockdown: disable extensions in Microsoft Edge new version

1. Kids account lockdown: disable extensions in Microsoft Edge new version - Similar Threads - Kids account lockdown

2. Introducing Microsoft Edge Kids Mode

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Microsoft Edge Kids Mode: There’s so much to be grateful for about the internet – immediate access to the world’s information at your fingertips, discovering inspiring content like DIY videos, and staying connected with family and friends through social media (I...
  3. Microsoft introduces new Extensions menu on toolbar in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft introduces new Extensions menu on toolbar in Microsoft Edge: Extensions are small applications that enhance the browser’s functionality. Once you install an extension, you can notice the extension icon appearing on the toolbar. If you have several extensions installed on your browser, these extension icons take up...
  4. New Kids Mode in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    New Kids Mode in Microsoft Edge: Kids Mode is a convenient browsing mode inside Microsoft Edge that’s designed for kids. With its kid-friendly features and safety guardrails in place, Kids Mode is a great place for children to safely explore the web. Kids Mode includes features like custom...
  5. Microsoft Edge - new version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Edge - new version: I have just installed this new version of Edge... Not particularly impressed with it... If I uninstall it, will the original version still be available? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-new-version/fa308e6f-6045-4e40-a12e-f1818f9b3faa
  6. Microsoft Edge new version

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Edge new version: I want to revert back to my previous version of MS Edge. The new version, is a pain. I get a Windows Security Message for a Certificate and i can't get rid of it no matter what i do. i want to clear my browsing history and it won't do that. My previous version of MS Edge...
  7. New version of Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New version of Microsoft edge: Can I download the new version edge to this computer. HP Pavilion the hard drive was changed and is now running windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-version-of-microsoft-edge/2c77089a-8249-4cb3-95c6-73bef6f26f98
  8. Kid version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Kid version: My grandfather is extremely computer illiterate. Is there a way to set up Windows 10 so he can't download programs and mess up his computer? submitted by /u/wrathofjhan [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dwzrcd/kid_version/
  9. Enable or Disable Extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Extensions in Microsoft Edge: How to: Enable or Disable Extensions in Microsoft Edge [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web. Personalize and...
  10. Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge VP9 Extension in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge VP9 Extension in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge VP9 Extension in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable VP9 Codec Extension in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is...