Windows 10: Kids mode / accounts seems pointless - am I doing something wrong?

Discus and support Kids mode / accounts seems pointless - am I doing something wrong? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm looking to get a slightly older Win 10 touchscreen device setup in my child's room (infant-school age). I've looked into the Microsoft accounts for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TommoIAm, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Kids mode / accounts seems pointless - am I doing something wrong?

I'm looking to get a slightly older Win 10 touchscreen device setup in my child's room (infant-school age). I've looked into the Microsoft accounts for kids etc and on the surface looks like a good option.

After setting everything up, following all the guides etc. I am incredibly disappointed over the lack of any actual restrictions. For example, on the kids account you can still open just about all of Win 10 settings pages and make the sort of changes you don't want a child making (and no activity is tracked here either)!

It just seems a bit over the top to spend an hour plus disabling / restricting most of the installed programs I don't want him using only to have him make some random system setting change I'll spend another day trying to diagnose. A more genuine concern is zero restrictions when playing around with Shared Experience settings etc - I don't want my child being able to randomly turn this sort of stuff on, why does MS even let a kids account into settings or at the very least, provide a restriction option for it!

Am I missing the obvious here or do I just have unreasonable expectations? All of MS's articles go on about content restrictions as does just about everything else I've found but nothing about restrictions to Windows itself. If their web filtering is anything like this, I don't even want to risk trying it. I know I can do just about everything I need with group policies too but seems like insane over kill. Has anyone else successfully setup a Win 10 device for a young child without these issues, any advice on what to use instead of relying on Kids accounts?

submitted by /u/TommoIAm
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TommoIAm, Apr 3, 2020
  2. haffy Win User

Kids user accounts and family settings

Thanks for the links.

I want to create the kids family accounts but it forces you to assign /create an email even after selecting no email . then trying to enter something that is similar to their name doesnt work either as i get errors 'part of reserved domain' even when i put total random characters.

All i want to do is add the existing local kids accounts to the family list but it doesn't let me do that without assigning them an email? Is this correct?

This new MS stuff sucks its just not that straightforward and they are trying to force you into email accounts when you dont want one.

haffy, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    New Sleep Mode for Facebook Messenger Kids app

How to Use Sleep Mode

1) Go to the Messenger Kids controls in the main Facebook app. Tap on the child’s name, and then on “Sleep Mode” in the App Controls section.

2) Set the times you want the app to turn off for your child. You can set different times for weekdays versus weekends. Once you set the limits, the child will not be able to use the app during those hours.

3) Have a conversation with your child. When you’re setting boundaries around the use of technology, it may be helpful to have a conversation with your child to make sure you have a mutual understanding of the ground rules. This could be a good time to let them know that you’re setting limits for them on Messenger Kids. For more guidance and resources, visit our Parents Portal at facebook.com/safety/parents.

4) Let sleep mode do its job. When the app is in sleep mode, kids cannot send or receive messages or video calls, play with the creative camera, or receive notifications. If they try to open the app, they’ll see a message telling them that it’s in sleep mode and to come back later.

Parents can access all of their controls from the Messenger Kids controls in the main Facebook app. In addition to sleep mode, parents can add and remove contacts, delete the child’s account, or create a new account right from the control panel.

For more information about Messenger Kids, visit MessengerKids.com or follow the Facebook page for updates.

Downloads:

Source: Sleep Mode: Giving Parents More Control on Messenger Kids | Facebook Newsroom

Brink, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Kids mode / accounts seems pointless - am I doing something wrong?

New Sleep Mode for Facebook Messenger Kids app

How to Use Sleep Mode

1) Go to the Messenger Kids controls in the main Facebook app. Tap on the child’s name, and then on “Sleep Mode” in the App Controls section.

2) Set the times you want the app to turn off for your child. You can set different times for weekdays versus weekends. Once you set the limits, the child will not be able to use the app during those hours.

3) Have a conversation with your child. When you’re setting boundaries around the use of technology, it may be helpful to have a conversation with your child to make sure you have a mutual understanding of the ground rules. This could be a good time to let them know that you’re setting limits for them on Messenger Kids. For more guidance and resources, visit our Parents Portal at facebook.com/safety/parents.

4) Let sleep mode do its job. When the app is in sleep mode, kids cannot send or receive messages or video calls, play with the creative camera, or receive notifications. If they try to open the app, they’ll see a message telling them that it’s in sleep mode and to come back later.

Parents can access all of their controls from the Messenger Kids controls in the main Facebook app. In addition to sleep mode, parents can add and remove contacts, delete the child’s account, or create a new account right from the control panel.

For more information about Messenger Kids, visit MessengerKids.com or follow the Facebook page for updates.

Downloads:

Source: Sleep Mode: Giving Parents More Control on Messenger Kids | Facebook Newsroom

Brink, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Kids mode / accounts seems pointless - am I doing something wrong?

1. Kids mode / accounts seems pointless - am I doing something wrong? - Similar Threads - Kids mode accounts

2. is my gpu broken or am i doing something wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is my gpu broken or am i doing something wrong: so i got a used computer from my cousin a few days ago and the graphics card/drivers gtx 750 has had an error 43, I've uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers through DDU and through normal device manager and Nvidia, when I try to update my drivers it says the update is...
  3. is my gpu broken or am i doing something wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is my gpu broken or am i doing something wrong: so i got a used computer from my cousin a few days ago and the graphics card/drivers gtx 750 has had an error 43, I've uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers through DDU and through normal device manager and Nvidia, when I try to update my drivers it says the update is...
  4. is my gpu broken or am i doing something wrong

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Microsoft Store works very bad... Am I doing something wrong?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store works very bad... Am I doing something wrong?: Here is the problem. Also Xbox app works bad, throwing me errors. What should i do? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-works-very-bad-am-i-doing/8be47def-e4c7-4b95-91a9-7f5c0232e712
  6. Something seems to be wrong with my graphics driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Something seems to be wrong with my graphics driver?: I've already tried to reinstall drivers and uninstall the device, however this problem still arises, I am not sure what the problem is anymore. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Something is wrong with my account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Something is wrong with my account: last night I was on my account and everything seemed fine and I was playing games and using some of my applications. but the next day i go to log in and all of my settings are reverted to something else which I don't want I had so many special settings in my account and now...
  8. Something seems wrong in my file structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Something seems wrong in my file structure: Using robocopy to back up my boot drive I got literally thousands of errors like this 2020/04/02 05:15:05 (0x00000020) Copying File C:\Users\devon\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application...
  9. Something is wrong with the account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Something is wrong with the account: I am unable to sign in to my account. The credentials are right. Maybe someone else is using it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/something-is-wrong-with-the-account/705b8ae1-44bb-4c0b-acc9-9c5ffe2dd5c0
  10. Something seems wrong with my start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Something seems wrong with my start button: Its been getting like this and doesn't always work correctly when I click it Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Anyone know what causes this? 87487