Windows 10: Kill Microsoft Photos (Change behavior for picture media)

Discus and support Kill Microsoft Photos (Change behavior for picture media) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I change what my computer does when I plug in media -- jpegs? Currently Windows 10 launches the Photos app. (I never asked for this behavior!)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by compupix, Apr 27, 2017.

1. compupix Win User

Kill Microsoft Photos (Change behavior for picture media)

How do I change what my computer does when I plug in media -- jpegs?
    Currently Windows 10 launches the Photos app. (I never asked for this behavior!)
    I’d like the computer to either launch Windows Explorer or Adobe Bridge. I don’t see either of those listed as a choice when trying to assign an app by file type.

I’ve tried:
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > Enter.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this...............................
    Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

It didn’t work for me.

Thanks.

:)

compupix, Apr 27, 2017

2. moving photos from camera to PC

I tried changing File Explorer's View setting to each of the available settings and it did not change Photos' behavior*. Then I changed the Pictures file's View setting to List and that did not change Photos' behavior*. It continued to show small versions
    of the pictures in the camera. So, it appears that Photos does not rely on settings in File Explorer.

*at least not this morning, so far.

RobertSmithXE, Apr 27, 2017
  3. moving photos from camera to PC

No, I see now that I was changing the wrong View setting. This morning I did change the View setting for the camera's folder in File Explorer and it did not change the behavior of Photos. I changed it from large icons to list and it removed the little
    pictures for the view of the camera in File Explorer. Then I looked at Photos and the little pictures were still there. Then I ejected the camera and disconnected the cable and then reinserted the cable to get a fresh look at Photos and the little pictures
    were still there. Then I looked at File Explorer and the View was still set on list and there were no little pictures. So there seems to be no connection between settings in File Explorer and the behavior of Photos. I don't know why Photos is behaving differently
    than it was behaving when I started this discussion, but it appears to be stable and functioning correctly now.

RobertSmithXE, Apr 27, 2017
  4. Kill Microsoft Photos (Change behavior for picture media)

In settings default apps:

Kill Microsoft Photos (Change behavior for picture media) [​IMG]

Josey Wales, Apr 27, 2017
  5. compupix Win User
    Under "Photo Viewer" my desired choices are not listed. The only way to go off the list is by going to the App Store. Both Windows Explorer and Adobe Bridge are already on my computer.

compupix, Apr 27, 2017
  6. Go to the bottom of that page and you can chosose by type:

7. compupix Win User
    Same problem. They aren't listed there either.

compupix, Apr 27, 2017
  8. Kill Microsoft Photos (Change behavior for picture media)

What are you trying to use?

9. compupix Win User
    "I’d like the computer to either launch Windows Explorer or Adobe Bridge."

compupix, Apr 27, 2017
  10. OK choose the listing below that Choose Default By Protocol and scroll through the list I know windows explorer is there, not sure about Bridge as I do not use it.

I'm sorry it is the one below that Set Default By App

11. compupix Win User
    Which protocol?
    For MS-PHOTOS, the only choices are Photos & Look for an app in the store.

compupix, Apr 27, 2017
  12. It will open up another box and you have to click on the app. Look for adobe bridge and choose Photos.

13. compupix Win User

Okay. I got to a place where I can choose associations for File Explorer. How do I add:
    CF media card containing jpegs and raw files?

compupix, Apr 27, 2017
  14. compupix Win User
    And...
    Adobe Bridge is not in that list of programs.

compupix, Apr 27, 2017
  15. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Apr 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Kill Microsoft Photos (Change behavior for picture media) - Similar Threads - Kill Microsoft Photos

2. strange AlbumArt behavior in Media player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange AlbumArt behavior in Media player: When I play a specific mp3, I see an AlbumArt image, that it does not exist!In fact the image was existing in the old location where the mp3 was an external disk but I have removed it after I moved the file to its new location. I use Tag&Rename to remove the AlbumArt and I...
  3. Microsoft Photos in Win10 changed behavior - cuts off image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos in Win10 changed behavior - cuts off image: I've been using Microsoft Photos in Windows 10 for a long time. As recently as a couple weeks ago it was working normally. However, I just noticed last night that it has changed behavior. On some JPG photos I attempt to open Photos is initially displaying them correctly for a...
  4. Changing cursor behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing cursor behavior: Does someone have any ideas how to make windows to move cursor to end of line with down arrow if no lines are below, like in macOS? Without using another shortcuts or buttons. submitted by /u/Windows-1251 [link] [comments]...
  5. Changing Microsoft account picture

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Microsoft account picture: Hello. I have a problem changing my account picture. Did anyone had this problem too and can help me solve it, please ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-microsoft-account-picture/a6e29e40-a49d-4316-b035-1454ada62cac
  6. Microsoft Photos Themes Picture

Microsoft Photos Themes Picture: I want to recreate a Microsoft Photos theme in Powerpoint. Where can I find the images which have been used in the Microsoft Photos themes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-themes-picture/28dbfbb9-c651-4a41-99cd-08d44bf3a15b
  7. Photos randomly changes dates of my pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos randomly changes dates of my pictures: Hi, I have noticed this happening several times now. I am currently sorting my photos and doing albums with Photos. However, it turns out that Photos sometimes changes the dates on some of the photos, so that afterwards, they appear in a messed up order in the Photos gallery....
  8. Screensaver Photos - faster changing of the pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screensaver Photos - faster changing of the pictures: Is there a way for the screensaver maybe in the registry to Set a specific time for the pictures to change. Not only slow/ medium/ fast Win 10 Enterprise 1809...
  9. Microsoft Photo Picture It 10

Microsoft Photo Picture It 10: Hello All, I have see a Discussion on this webside : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/microsoft-digital-image-suite-10/bbffcb24-2c75-426f-8a8d-bad015e19b44?page=2 and this webside :...
  10. Picture/photos

Picture/photos: I have 40,000+ pictures on my computer. I want to give my kids their own pictures that they took and stored on my computer. With six kids, I can't go through 40,000 pictures six times. I want to go through them one time and move them into their own folders, then I want to...