Windows 10: Killed by CPU frequency change

Discus and support Killed by CPU frequency change in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I’ve been running a clean copy of 10 Enterprise x64 for a few months, never had viruses or anything weird done to it. It’s installed on a healthy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ee0226, Sep 17, 2020.

1. /u/ee0226 Win User

Killed by CPU frequency change

So I’ve been running a clean copy of 10 Enterprise x64 for a few months, never had viruses or anything weird done to it. It’s installed on a healthy SSD. The PC is a bit old (Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H, Core i5 4690, 16gb ddr3, GTX 1050Ti) but it’s perfectly fine for Windows 10 and has never had any issues. Today I noticed my bios locked my CPU at 2.91GHz when it should be 3.5 - 3.9. I enabled Intel turbo boost (which had been enabled for years before it randomly disabled itself), rebooted and boom. Preparing automatic repair, then diagnosing this pc, then repairing your pc then very quickly to an error on the blue recovery menu screen. None of the recovery or safe boot options work, I’ve tried everything and nothing works. How does windows survive massive overclocks, CPU swaps, being moved to an entirely different system, etc. while enabling a common cpu feature kills it instantly?

submitted by /u/ee0226
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ee0226, Sep 17, 2020
  2. SackHappy Win User

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS.
    I also noticed that when using other tools to display my GPU and CPU performance they show my CPU max frequency is exactly 5Ghz, why does Task Manager constantly display a constantly changing frequency?

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated

SackHappy, Sep 17, 2020
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    INCORRECT CPU FREQUENCY READING

Hello Muhammad,

CPU usage depends on the applications that are open to your device. To isolate the problem, we suggest that you answer the following questions:

• Can you include a screenshot of the CPU reading?
    • Have you tried performing a
      clean boot
      to eliminate software conflicts?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Sep 17, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the time and efforts to work on the issue.

As per the description, I understand that Task manager displays constant change in CPU frequency. As you have already disabled Intel Speed Step, I suggest you to get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer.

You can also post your query in the
    TechNet forum.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Killed by CPU frequency change - Similar Threads - Killed CPU frequency

2. CPU running at max frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU running at max frequency: To lead off, nothing on my system is overclocked and the cpu has a min process state of 20%. So I unplugged my PC the other day to clean up around it and have had nothing but issues since getting it back together. Outside of an issue with my wifi adapter that fixed itself, my...
  3. CPU running at max frequency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU running at max frequency: To lead off, nothing on my system is overclocked and the cpu has a min process state of 20%. So I unplugged my PC the other day to clean up around it and have had nothing but issues since getting it back together. Outside of an issue with my wifi adapter that fixed itself, my...
  4. Massive CPU frequency drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Massive CPU frequency drop: Hello everyone. I have a strange problem. I have an Acer Aspire A715-75G 8GB, GTX 1650, i5-10300H. Every once in a while, my laptop freezes for about 4 or 5 seconds and then returns to normal. When it freezes, background activity continues, but I can no longer do anything...
  5. Massive CPU frequency drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Massive CPU frequency drop: Hello everyone. I have a strange problem. I have an Acer Aspire A715-75G 8GB, GTX 1650, i5-10300H. Every once in a while, my laptop freezes for about 4 or 5 seconds and then returns to normal. When it freezes, background activity continues, but I can no longer do anything...
  6. Massive CPU frequency drop

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. CPU FREQUENCY NEVER DROPS DOWN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU FREQUENCY NEVER DROPS DOWN: Hi everyone i recently bought a laptop with an I7 8gen cpu. The problem is that windows keeps my cpu frequency at 4 even when idling. I open up chrome and the temperature rises up very fast. Whwn I have the power saving option on it doesn't happen. I'm sure that it's a...
  8. Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Overclock cpu max frequency constantly changing in task manager: Hi, I'm overclocking my Intel 8700k to 5Ghz and every time I check the current frequency in task manager the max is constantly changing. I have high-performance power settings on windows enabled and I have also disabled CPU state and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS. I also...
  9. Too high frequency of CPU

Too high frequency of CPU: My CPU started working at 95% to 105% all the time. Could you help me how to get it back to the standby mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/too-high-frequency-of-cpu/642d599d-5ddd-4914-b49d-2d349172e739
  10. CPU Frequency Too High

CPU Frequency Too High: Recently my CPU is operating at 97% to 104% all the time. How can I throttle it back to idle? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cpu-frequency-too-high/2cc1e580-8610-4dce-a7bf-ee8b6630536b