Windows 10: Kind of feel like more can be done with the UI of Windows 10

Discus and support Kind of feel like more can be done with the UI of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't know about anyone else, but I for one am a metro UI purist. I love me some of that metro UI design, like the Zune PC software, or some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Coke Robot, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Kind of feel like more can be done with the UI of Windows 10

I don't know about anyone else, but I for one am a metro UI purist. I love me some of that metro UI design, like the Zune PC software, or some amazingly well done apps on Windows Phone like zbox or readit or the apps Rudy Huyn has made. The UI of those compilations of code hit the hammer to the nail of what the metro UI is all about fundamentally: Typography. It's not about live tiles, it's not about crazy colors, it's not about full screen apps. It's about typography and interacting with the typography. It's about the digital motion of the UI. It's about not using skeuomorphic iconography, nor glassy window borders that detract from the contents within that window.

Windows 10 is showing further expansion of the modern UI design (I've noticed when it was officially called "modern" UI, the subtle richness of the metro UI went away) but is drifting away from the roots of the design philosophy. There's no focus on typography, at all. Even Windows Phone 8.1 took some of that away. On Windows Phone 8 with Xbox Music, you were able to wake your phone, tap the current playing song from the volume control, tap on the artist name header line on the Now Playing screen and it would take you to the album collection you have by that artist and from there play a different song or album. Simple and easy. It's doesn't do that anymore in 8.1, well, kind of but you end up with the album of which the song is from and can't jump around to a different album. There is no digital motion at all whereas on 8 it was just so simple and so beautiful when you interacted with the UI from the Photos hub or showing the Start Screen. That is what the visual eye candy is with the metro UI.

It's about being wowed by everything within the window altogether. I always recommend trying out the Zune PC software version 4.8 to truly understand this. At a glance, it seems bare and minimal, but when you use it and interact with it, you end up appreciating the gracefully well designed UI it has that is also quite practical.

But this doesn't go to say Windows 10 doesn't have some of these principles, the fact that the window bordering is pencil thin is essentially the meaning of content first with the window control buttons being more like simple markings than icons keep content in focus.

There is so much potential for the UI to improve. I'd like to see more design going forward that keeps in line with the principles of the design language Microsoft created that is now basically becoming rather common with software and web design. A little bit more of digital motion is needed. Better use of typography and focusing on typography is desperately needed, as it chucks out more skeuomorphic bits like the switches.

A modern operating system needs a modernly designed user interface.

:)

Coke Robot, Feb 8, 2015

2. Ummm .... Can FireWall Be Kind of Annoying?

Can FireWall Be Kind of Annoying?

Have You Ever tried to Use an Application Only to Find That It Is BLOCKED by Firewall?

Do any one of you know what I mean?

How do you Disable FireWall so you can Finally Get To That Application?

How do you disable Firewall?

RaymondDev, Feb 8, 2015
  3. Ummm .... Can FireWall Be Kind of Annoying?

Hi Raymond,

Please write to us with the following detail.

Which firewall are you referring to?

If you are using any third party firewall then you can visit that application's website and check for the steps to disable it.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If
    you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

We do not recommend you to disable Windows Firewall. Hope this information helps you.

PranavMishra5582, Feb 8, 2015
  4. Kind of feel like more can be done with the UI of Windows 10

There is a balance to everything - I hope MS finds it for Win10 GUI. I keep hammering away on this and other things that I feel will make Win10 work more harmoniously with it's biological partner - the user *Wink

Slartybart, Feb 8, 2015
Thema:

Kind of feel like more can be done with the UI of Windows 10

1. Kind of feel like more can be done with the UI of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Kind feel more

2. why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...: I am concerned that windows 11 is just windows 10 revamped to make it look and feel more like using a MAC device --- this is basically windows throwing in the towel and admitting that they no longer wish to compete with apple to be its own separate entity--- I only start by...
  3. why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...: I am concerned that windows 11 is just windows 10 revamped to make it look and feel more like using a MAC device --- this is basically windows throwing in the towel and admitting that they no longer wish to compete with apple to be its own separate entity--- I only start by...
  4. why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 feels like a downgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 feels like a downgrade: I don't understand the point of the whole Windows 11 Insider Program, all I see are tons of useful features removed from Windows 10. It genuinely feels like a downgrade from Windows 10.See Screenshot Below Can't group apps in Start Menu anymoreSee Screenshot Below Half of the...
  6. Windows 11 feels like a downgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 feels like a downgrade: I don't understand the point of the whole Windows 11 Insider Program, all I see are tons of useful features removed from Windows 10. It genuinely feels like a downgrade from Windows 10.See Screenshot Below Can't group apps in Start Menu anymoreSee Screenshot Below Half of the...
  7. Windows 10 dark UI could soon look and feel more consistent

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 dark UI could soon look and feel more consistent: One of the biggest visual update coming to Windows 10 is codenamed ‘Sun Valley’, which aims to reduce the sharp corners, introduce a new interface for core components and offer a consistent UI. Last week, we showed you a first glimpse of what Windows 10 modern context menu...
  8. Microsoft is making Windows 10 PWAs feel more like native apps

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is making Windows 10 PWAs feel more like native apps: Windows Store always had an app shortage problem and Microsoft has been working on new capabilities to lay the foundation for Progressive Web Apps, one of the keys to the future of Micorosft’s app market. The PWAs are webpages on steroids and Twitter app for Windows 10 is...
  9. I feel like a fool but..

in Windows 10 Support
    I feel like a fool but..: So i have been checking this forum out for a while. Learned alot and still learning. I pride myself on what i know. Stilllll at a loss in the worst way. I beg everyones pardon if i sound like an idiot. I have done clean installs sooo many times. I can use dism and apply...
  10. What is this kind of UI Glitch?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is this kind of UI Glitch?: I need some help! After upgrading from Windows 10 build 17713 to 17733, I saw this UI glitch : [ATTACH] When my app mode is changed to dark and I'm hovering the Back button, the foreground (the graphics) color of the button is white and the background color of the button is...