Windows 10: Kindle not unmounted properly at shutdown

Discus and support Kindle not unmounted properly at shutdown in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got an old Kindle Keyboard. I've used it for a couple years on my Gateway 4200DX with Windows 7 without issue. However, I've noticed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SlickRCBD, Apr 12, 2020.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

Kindle not unmounted properly at shutdown

I've got an old Kindle Keyboard. I've used it for a couple years on my Gateway 4200DX with Windows 7 without issue.

However, I've noticed that sometimes if I shut off my Dell Inspiration 3670 running Windows 10 without first "Eject"ing the Kindle, it sometimes gets unstable or the filesystem seems messed up and I have to reboot it.

Is this an issue with using USB storage devices in Windows 10? I've shut off my Windows 7 computer and THEN disconnected the Kindle without issues for years.

I only just now realized the pattern that just about every reboot happened right after I loaded something onto the Kindle before turning off the computer, and did not think it was necessary to "eject" the Kindle before shutting it down. It was NOT necessary on Windows 7. It doesn't help that I don't update it that often.

Alternately, could this be a USB 3 vs USB 2 thing? I believe the Kindle Keyboard predates the USB 3.0 standard, but I'd have to double-check the dates. Yes, it's old, but it does the job better than my phone and I don't see what buying a new e-reader would bring to the table to be worth spending money on other than "updating for updating's sake because it's old.".

:)

SlickRCBD, Apr 12, 2020
  2. SlickRCBD Win User

I've got an old Kindle Keyboard. I've used it for a couple years on my Gateway 4200DX with Windows 7 without issue.

However, I've noticed that sometimes if I shut off my Dell Inspiration 3670 running Windows 10 without first "Eject"ing the Kindle, it sometimes gets unstable or the filesystem seems messed up and I have to reboot it.

Is this an issue with using USB storage devices in Windows 10? I've shut off my Windows 7 computer and THEN disconnected the Kindle without issues for years.

I only just now realized the pattern that just about every reboot happened right after I loaded something onto the Kindle before turning off the computer, and did not think it was necessary to "eject" the Kindle before shutting it down. It was NOT necessary
    on Windows 7. It doesn't help that I don't update it that often.

Alternately, could this be a USB 3 vs USB 2 thing? I believe the Kindle Keyboard predates the USB 3.0 standard, but I'd have to double-check the dates. Yes, it's old, but it does the job better than my phone and I don't see what buying a new e-reader would
    bring to the table to be worth spending money on other than "updating for updating's sake because it's old.".

SlickRCBD, Apr 12, 2020
  3. Windows 10 shutdown doesn't unmount despite......

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• How exactly you are trying to unmount the drive. Is it through Command prompt or from Disk management?

• What exactly happens when you try to unmount?

• Did you receive any error message while trying to unmount?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Please close all the Windows before trying the steps.

• Open Disk management.

• Right-click the mounted drive that you want to remove, and then click
      Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• Click Remove, and then click Yes.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 12, 2020
  4. hunterTQ Win User

Windows 10 shutdown doesn't unmount despite......

Windows 10 shutdown doesn't unmount my internal hard drive despite setting the power button to shutdown. This means that I cannot access windows partition on my hard drive when I log into Linux.

hunterTQ, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Kindle not unmounted properly at shutdown - Similar Threads - Kindle unmounted properly

2. Kindle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kindle: app does not display page properly with Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kindle/0c3c6976-66b0-4500-b05c-4a5f80c7125a
  3. Kindle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kindle: app does not display page properly with Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kindle/0c3c6976-66b0-4500-b05c-4a5f80c7125a
  4. Kindle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC Won't shutdown properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Won't shutdown properly: Hello, I've been having this issue with my pc the last 2 weeks where it just wont turn off properly,it's stuck on the Shutting down screen and after several hours just crashes. I've run the following command in CMD SFC/scannow and have completed the verification. The...
  6. Kindle

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Kindle: I've been given a Kindle book. Signed up at Amazon to receive the free Kindle app. Can't find any instructions for how to accept (install) it on my laptop. Where is it supposed to go?...
  7. connect to a kindle

connect to a kindle: hi there,i need my password which I use to connect to the internet for me to use a new kindle but I do not know I can get it...urgent please.....gerald
  8. Kindle

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Kindle: I "ejected" Kindle from my apps but am not sure I should have done so. Can I re-install it? If so, how? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kindle/0db5990e-1920-436d-bfaa-8b139cdd8397
  9. Kindle

Kindle: Hello, I recently downloaded the Kindle app for the desktop computer; downloaded alright-alright with the smartphone because I use to read when I travel-but does not allow a single read at the home computer! Has anyone read an e-book at the desktop? UnsaR...
  10. Kindle

Kindle: my kindle won't open on my windows 10. Its a black screen and when I click on the screen it goes away. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_books/kindle/4fd04497-32b4-4464-a060-755c50f76d83