Windows 10: Kindle paperwhite fails to show as USB storage

Discus and support Kindle paperwhite fails to show as USB storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Kindle 32GB e-reader does not appear as a drive in Win 10 when plugged in via USB, so I cannot transfer files to it from my local library. Likewise... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by isthatyouJack, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Kindle paperwhite fails to show as USB storage

My Kindle 32GB e-reader does not appear as a drive in Win 10 when plugged in via USB, so I cannot transfer files to it from my local library. Likewise it does not appear in Calibre. However Ican see it using the Win 10 disk management app, where it appears as a drive with unallocated space of around 28 GB.

I have tried all the fixes I can find online, plugging in through different USB ports, using different cables, different computers, even a ubuntu machine. My software and drivers are up to date on both Win 10 and the Kindle. The Kindle will reset and update when rebooted via Wi-Fi, but I still can't see it as a drive in Explorer or a device in Calibre or the Kindle app.... Although it otherwise seems to be working fine - I can connect to the Amazon store ok - and Windows always knows it is there as it is listed as online by the disk management app

This is really frustrating as I have an extensive personal e-book library which I currently cannot access. Any ideas to fix this problem greatly appreciated as my Googling is taking me around in circles!

Thanks! JP

:)

isthatyouJack, Jan 20, 2020
  2. kh2412 Win User

Kindle Paperwhite usb issues

I have a Kindle Paperwhite which was working fine until I updated to Windows 10. Now the kindle can charge through both USB ports but does not recognise the device so I am unable to update or add books. I have contacted Amazon who confirmed my Kindle software
    is up to date so no problems their end. I am sure all the updates for my laptop are also updated too.

I had a similar problem with my Iphone7 and simply had to reinstall that but I cannot find an option to do this for the Kindle.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated! Thanks

kh2412, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary Update – Blue Screen with Kindle Paperwhite

After the Windows 10 anniversary update last week, every time I plug in my Kindle Paper to the USB 3 port I get a Blue Screen with the Stop Code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED partmgr.sys.
    Before the update I had no problems with the Kindle Paperwhite and Windows 10.

Problem Solved - After a series of Windows 10 updates, I tried attaching the Kindle Paperwhite again and it worked. (Nov. 21, 2016)

Michael&Deb, Jan 20, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Kindle paperwhite fails to show as USB storage

Kindle paperwhite users - even ist gen

Hi folks

If you like kindles and are using an older paperwhite version Amazon has released software / firmware update -- has much nicer interface, extra fonts including the new Bookerly which makes it almost identical to real paperback font, you can adjust the size of the fonts much more gradually (more steps) plus brightness of device and you can optionally display your local time (optionally) while reading. Search is better too.

Works even on old paperwhites (it might update two times), 1 if device software was earlier than 2016 to the 2016 update and then to the latest version which is what you need.

Can be done either from the device itself (enable wifi and switch off and on again) or download from Windows with kindle attached to computer.

Well worth the software update if just for the bookerly font.

I use these a lot when travelling - much better than squawking at small mobile phone screens and saves carrying a load of paperbacks around if you enjoy reading.

BTW you aren't limited to amazons books only -- Calibre (great Free program) will convert epub etc into amazon MOB and AZI3 Formats.

calibre - E-book management

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Kindle paperwhite fails to show as USB storage

1. Kindle paperwhite fails to show as USB storage - Similar Threads - Kindle paperwhite fails

2. Kindle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kindle: app does not display page properly with Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kindle/0c3c6976-66b0-4500-b05c-4a5f80c7125a
  3. connecting kindle paperwhite to windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    connecting kindle paperwhite to windows 10: I cannot get windows to recognize the Kindle. Nearly all of the "fixes" require that the Kindle is shown in the windows 10 device list. I can't get to see the Kindle as a device. When you go to Amazon and try to reinstall the device, it installs the "kindle app" on my...
  4. Windows 10 Kindle App - Send to Kindle does not show Windows 10 Kindle app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Kindle App - Send to Kindle does not show Windows 10 Kindle app: Windows 10 Kindle App - Send to Kindle does not show Windows 10 Kindle app as an option and only shows my iPhone as an option. If I go to Amazon website and Kindle Content, the deliver to Kindle on Windows 10 is greyed out....
  5. USBs for storage do not show in File Manager

USBs for storage do not show in File Manager: USB ports for storage devices seem to be disabled. WIN 10 Home OS and recently installed an internal Samsung EVO 860. USB ports for monitor, mouse, and keyboard are all working, but my storage devices don't show up despite updated drivers and regedit confirmed to have...
  6. Kindle

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Kindle: I've been given a Kindle book. Signed up at Amazon to receive the free Kindle app. Can't find any instructions for how to accept (install) it on my laptop. Where is it supposed to go?...
  7. Kindle Paperwhite not recognized by Windows 10

Kindle Paperwhite not recognized by Windows 10: There have been numerous threads here before on the topic, so it's a widespread problem. I've tried: Uninstalling / reinstalling the Kindle app Dinking with the power management settings Uninstalling USB controllers (hint: there are several; if you do them all you'll...
  8. Kindle users inc new paperwhite with audio book playback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kindle users inc new paperwhite with audio book playback: Hi folks The new Kindle paperwhite with Audio book playback - brilliant --still works with Calibre (Free e-book management program) as do the older kindles. calibre - E-book management Excellent e-book manager -- convert epub to mobi / azi3 etc so you aren't restricted to...
  9. Kindle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kindle: my kindle won't open on my windows 10. Its a black screen and when I click on the screen it goes away. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_books/kindle/4fd04497-32b4-4464-a060-755c50f76d83
  10. Kindle paperwhite users - even ist gen

Kindle paperwhite users - even ist gen: Hi folks If you like kindles and are using an older paperwhite version Amazon has released software / firmware update -- has much nicer interface, extra fonts including the new Bookerly which makes it almost identical to real paperback font, you can adjust the size of the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not recognising kindle paperwhite

2. kindle paperwhite usb issue windows 10