Windows 10: Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0

Discus and support Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; With all the distance learning stuff, i figured my old kinect would work great as a 1080p webcam for Zoom sessions. Issue is, it refuses to send any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TopGun53786, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0

With all the distance learning stuff, i figured my old kinect would work great as a 1080p webcam for Zoom sessions. Issue is, it refuses to send any kind of visual data to apps beyond the applications included in the kinect SDK.

Now, it is manually modified to send the required 12v through a 12v 3a power brick directly to the PCB rather than shelling out for the official adapter, but i made certain that all the connections are solid, electrically isolated from one another, connected safely through plugs, and that no excess heat was put into the board, and the data connection is done with a USB 3.0 type A to USB 3.0 type B cord. I'm fairly confident i didn't damage it in this process, as if i run the Kinect Configuration Verifier or Kinect Studio v2.0, everything works fine. I click the button to connect, and color 1080p, depth, IR, body, you name it, it works. But if i try to use any other app, i.e. camera app, discord, zoom, windows hello, etc., it "connects", but either buffers forever or displays a black screen. 3D scan says "Initializing sensor" in the corner forever. Thanks to updating the driver in an earlier step, though, they at least recognize the Kinect by name, for example the camera app recognizes it as "Kinect V2 Video Sensor" with the correct quality of 1080p 30fps.

The Kinect Configuration Verifier runs mostly fine with everything getting a checkmark except:

-"Update Configuration Definitions" returned "Failed to update, using last known good definitions"

-"USB Controller" returned "Unknown USB 3.0 port detected. Your USB configuration may support Kinect for Windows"

I've searched as much as i can to fix it from other posts online, among the things i've tried:

-Updated WDF KinectSensor Interface 0 driver to 2.2.1905.16000

-Checked that it is connected to an intel USB controller selecting Xbox NUI Sensor and going to View>Devices by connection shows it as being under "IntelR USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 Microsoft"

-Updated windows from the "windows update" tab in settings

-Forced it to use my 1080ti in Nvidia Control Panel

-Tried a variety of apps, including online webcam testing sites, one of which showed an odd static for some reason

-Installed KinectSDK v2.0_1409

-Tried all ports on my machine only the front two work, which i assume to be the only ones using the intel controller

-Made sure to enable webcam access for any apps i wanted to test in windows privacy settings

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going wrong, since Kinect Studio V2 clearly shows me that my kinect is both successfully communicating with my machine, as well as successfully sending color video, depth video, and IR video at the full 30 fps.

A few extra things to note:

-Audio works perfectly EVERYWHERE, unlike video, so i can open up audacity or discord and use the kinect's mic perfectly fine

-I'm running on an SSD with an i7-8700k, 1080ti, 32GB RAM, on an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E board

-I also tried using it on my laptop, but the same thing happens - works in Kinect Studio, but nowhere else

-I restarted my pc several times throughout troubleshooting to see if it helped, as well as again before starting this post

-I'm running three monitors at the moment, and i found that if any of them are not set to 60hz, the kinect will run choppily at a couple frames per second in Kinect Studio. Found this out when it worked fine in K studio on my laptop, but not my desktop which has a 144hz monitor

I've exhausted all the options i can think of, so you guys are my last hope to get it working - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 15776ae9-fdfd-40c4-9478-02d888a2288d?upload=true.png

Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 1e402d43-fe53-41ee-9acc-eb7bb0fde63e?upload=true.png

Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 521f29af-e803-4fa5-bdd5-e25f8d0e46d1?upload=true.png Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 1d89af38-f484-446a-aa11-1dede74bd48c?upload=true.png

Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 e8295e2a-9a0a-4dd0-986b-98313cf6edf2?upload=true.png

Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 04a57285-c517-4f52-8824-37315f512c16?upload=true.png

Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 cfb053fc-0c25-421c-b8b2-855a4f708986?upload=true.png

:)

TopGun53786, Aug 27, 2020
  2. jubjub64 Win User

No scan option for 3D builder in Windows 10 with Kinect v2

I did a clean install of Windows 10, installed Kinect v2 drivers and SDK. The SDK can see the sensor fine but when I installed 3D builder it doesn't show a "scan" button. It just has "load" and "help" buttons. I'm using the Kinect pc adapter with a console
    version of the Kinect v2 if that is important. Please help me get 3D builder working with my sensor. Thank you.

jubjub64, Aug 27, 2020
  3. Kinect v1/v2 in Windows 10 (and then Matlab)

Hi Everyone, I know it's been asked a lot of times but I can't get a clear answer so I try to ask again:

1. Is Kinect v1 compatible with Windows 10? If yes, should I buy a particular usb connector? which are the drivers to donwload?

2. Is Kinect v2 compatible with Windows 10?

My final goal is to use Kinect with Matlab (2015 or whatever works).

Thanks for your understanding!

Annagiulia

Annagiulia_SSSA, Aug 27, 2020
  4. Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0

3D Scan with Kinect v2

Hello all! I picked up a Kinect v2, the adapter, and gave 3D Scan a shot using an ASUS ROG laptop with a 1070 GTX GPU. Ran the hardware test to make sure the Kinect v2 was working,
    got a possible error about USB3 chipset, but then it seemed to work.

In a well-lit room I tried scanning a mannequin and a live person. Problems / questions:

- The RGB texture image seems very offset from the depth image, both in preview and in the scanned geometry. Made it seem like the cameras on the Kinect v2 weren't aligned correctly. Any way to fix?

- I read the words "handheld mode" and "turntable mode" but the 3D Scan app interface seems so dead simple that those options are not available

- My distorted blob meshes (typically captured over 500-900 "frames" around either the circumference of an object or just a face), also had the textures offset.

Any tips / tricks?

Thank you!

Update: Had some success. I think it's all about USB bandwidth.

Tried it on a PC built with a Skylake Fatal1ty z270 Gaming-itx/ac motherboard. i5, 980 GTX.

-USB 3.1 port did not supply enough power

-USB 3.0 port had zero complaints at all

-When using 3D Scan, the preview window actually populated points in the point cloud. 30fps. Textured aligned better. Will have to practice scanning motions to get best texture coverage.

MarkCreasy, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0

1. Kinect V2 *only* working in Kinect Studio v2.0 - Similar Threads - Kinect *only* working

2. Multiple Kinects V2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Kinects V2: Hello allI have multiple kinects V2 and i want to collect images using both of them at the same time simultaneously.I have on my computer only USB 3.0 controller so when i plug in more than one kinect, my computer only recognizes one, as it is shown on the screenshot.Is there...
  3. Multiple Kinects V2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Kinects V2: Hello allI have multiple kinects V2 and i want to collect images using both of them at the same time simultaneously.I have on my computer only USB 3.0 controller so when i plug in more than one kinect, my computer only recognizes one, as it is shown on the screenshot.Is there...
  4. Kinect V2 Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kinect V2 Windows Hello: My Kinect works fine in studio and any other app but does not work for windows hello. The hello setup says 'This option is currently unavailable.' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kinect-v2-windows-hello/2e8603b9-fcd3-4ed1-a96a-c50b058cf3bd
  5. Kinect V2 Windows Hello

Kinect V2 Windows Hello: My Kinect works fine in studio and any other app but does not work for windows hello. The hello setup says 'This option is currently unavailable.' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kinect-v2-windows-hello/2e8603b9-fcd3-4ed1-a96a-c50b058cf3bd
  6. Kinect V2 Drivers Slow Start Up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kinect V2 Drivers Slow Start Up: I've tried everything to get Windows Hello to work on boot, but it doesn't. It recognizes my face, 1-2 minutes later. I've had this problem on Windows 10 too....
  7. Kinect V2 Drivers Slow Start Up

Kinect V2 Drivers Slow Start Up: I've tried everything to get Windows Hello to work on boot, but it doesn't. It recognizes my face, 1-2 minutes later. I've had this problem on Windows 10 too....
  8. Error code: 0xA00F4244 on Kinect v2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error code: 0xA00F4244 on Kinect v2: I'm having issues with my Kinect Camera on my windows 10 PC. It turns on and then shuts off with the error code 0xA00F4244 and then back on. I can remove the USB connection and plug it back in and then it works for a moment and shuts down again. I updated the drivers for it...
  9. Kinect v2 dot projection Video input

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Kinect v2 dot projection Video input: Hey guys and girls. I was playing around with my old kinect from my xbox one on pc and had the idea to use it as a video imput for streaming because the depht/dot projection looked quite unique. Do you have any ideas how to do that or reccomemdations for a good way to view it...
  10. 360 Kinect not working in Kinect studio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    360 Kinect not working in Kinect studio: I recently got a Kinect and have noticed it does not work within Kinect studio as it displays a grey screen. I have tested the Kinect with an actual 360 and it works great. But when connected with an adapter the green light turns on and windows detects something was plugged...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kinect update configuration definition