Windows 10: KMS Server role on a desktop, is it even possible?

Discus and support KMS Server role on a desktop, is it even possible? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, i was going back and forward trough many toutorials and tips and trics articles about using KMS licencing for office. And i am getting more and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kokodin, Oct 1, 2019.

1. kokodin Win User

KMS Server role on a desktop, is it even possible?

Hello, i was going back and forward trough many toutorials and tips and trics articles about using KMS licencing for office. And i am getting more and more confused.
    I would like to know if am i even on a good tracks.
    Long story short
    School i work at have 60 microsoft office licences it is volume licence MAK type.
    Activation counter is set to 0 of 100 so far but i didn't activate anything yet in fear of using up the counter.
    I wanted to setup a KMS server, because i had read it can be done on windows 7/10pro for office, but i quickly run into a wall of not having microsoft domain controller(s) and installation asked for server remote tools.(i used that before i know what it is for)
    None of the toutorials shows clearly what are system requirements of KMS server anyway so i don't even know if it can be done on standalone workstation let alone desktop operating system, or do i require dedicated windows server with a server role as a kms provider.
    I do not know what is the difference between KMS key and generic volume licencing key listed in those toutorials, so i need help understanding the basics of how it works. Even a simple answer why it would never work without ... insert apropriate item name , would be a great help.

If not a KMS server, what are my options? How to expand that 100 activations limit or how to reset it when i use them all when for instance i am forced to reinstall 2 classrooms in a day because some students bypased antivirus to install counterstrike.

If you need to know i am not from united states , my school is located in Poland , Europe and my english skills might be lacking, so please keep this in mind before bashing me for poor manners or spelling. i am basically typing it phonetically how i hearit without english autocorrect and 90% of words are red because they don't fit polish dictionery plus i am dislectic.
    But enough excuses. Any help is welcome. if you can point me in the right direction i follow it until i find solution.

:)

kokodin, Oct 1, 2019

2. Windows Server 2012 R2 Server Manager Failed to retrieve the list of roles and components

Windows Server 2012 R2 Server Manager Failed to retrieve the list of roles and components while I'm trying to Add roles and features.

Also it doesn't give me a list from Windows Powershell (running as Admin): Get-Windows Features - ntProviderException.

sfc /scannow, RestoreHealth, SFCFix.exe
    did not help.

Help me, please!

ViktorDehterenko, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Server 2012

IF you want to try seizing the FSMO roles to see if it will help, here is a quick guide (this should be done on the DC you want to keep):

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ation-master-roles-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

Knowing that this is a DC now I'm really convinced that something is wrong with the AD account for this particular server. It's possible that the promotion to a DC didn't work correctly leaving you with a sort of broken DC.

A reboot is always worth a shot; has that been tried Ahhzz? If it has, then the next step would be to demote this DC and rejoin it to the domain. Once rejoined you can run DCPromo again. Microsoft best practice is to have at least 2 DCs for redundancy.

Wastedslayer, Oct 1, 2019
  4. djrabes Win User

Server 2012

Also don't forget to reset the account in AD Users and Computers to avoid any SID issues.

djrabes, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

1. KMS Server role on a desktop, is it even possible? - Similar Threads - KMS Server role

2. AD Domain Controllers with Certificate Server role

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AD Domain Controllers with Certificate Server role: Hello all, I have a question I am hoping to find a clear answer to. I am planning to install AD Certificate Server role. I have read opposing views on where to install ADCS. Should I install this on a DC or a separate server altogether? If I add the role to a DC, will it...
  3. Web Server IIS Role: configuration error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web Server IIS Role: configuration error: Hi There, I was trying to install the SharePoint 2016 in one of my Windows Server 2019. After running the Prerequisiteinstaller application file, it resulted with the "Web Server IIS Role: configuration error". I tried install .Net framework modules but it resulted with an...
  4. How to remove Roles and Features in Windows Server

in Windows 10 News
    How to remove Roles and Features in Windows Server: [IMG]IT admins can use the Server Manager on a GUI-based Windows Server to easily remove roles and features. In this post, we will walk you through the process of how to remove Roles and Features in Windows Server. Before we jump into the subject matter proper, below is the...
  5. Question about kms servers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about kms servers: So I want to activate windows 10 with a kms server key. I found this website that has an explanation and it seems legit but I just want to ask If anyone knows if this is legit/ if it works because it is so darned complicated to set up a kms server. Also could this install a...
  6. Reverting back to original KMS server

Reverting back to original KMS server: So... I had an unactivated copy of Windows 10 Enterprise on my laptop, and I wanted to use the personalization features that are only available on activated Windows. So I looked up ways to activate Windows for free (which I now realise was a very dumb thing to do). I came...
  7. Disconnect from KMS server?

Disconnect from KMS server?: So i activated windows 10 with a kms server with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GMErc8MBjw and i now want to disconnect from the kms server because i realized how possibly they could steal my data. Does anyone know how to disconnect from it ? submitted by...
  8. [KMS] How to remove kms server/dns records completely.

[KMS] How to remove kms server/dns records completely.: [ATTACH] I recently used kms activation to activate my office, but right now I am willing to remove all the settings and changes which were made to my machine while running that msguides script to activate office,...
  9. KMS Server role on a desktop, is it even possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KMS Server role on a desktop, is it even possible?: Hello, i was going back and forward trough many toutorials and tips and trics articles about using KMS licencing for office. And i am getting more and more confused. I would like to know if am i even on a good tracks. Long story short School i work at have 60 microsoft office...
  10. Troubleshoot KMS Activation on Windows Server

in Windows 10 News
    Troubleshoot KMS Activation on Windows Server: [ATTACH] KMS or Key Management Services is usually a Windows Server computer configured to be a KMS host computer by installing the Volume Activation Services role. When an Enterprise uses KMS keys to activate computers, it will need the KMS Host to [...] This post...