Windows 10: Korean IME Input Lost Between Apps / Active Window

Discus and support Korean IME Input Lost Between Apps / Active Window in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have several users that want to type in Korean without having to toggle their desired input method each time they click a hyperlink to go to a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MrsEsterhouse, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Korean IME Input Lost Between Apps / Active Window

I have several users that want to type in Korean without having to toggle their desired input method each time they click a hyperlink to go to a new web page or change browser tabs. So far this has been an issue in Chrome, IE, and Firefox.

The process is open a browser, toggle IME with Win+space, toggle Eng/Hangul, input characters for search or login, repeat the toggle for both IME and character when the next location is reached. The user may not even enter info into a webpage, if they had the setting ready to output hangul the click to open a desired link will break the setup.

I have tried numerous configurations going so far as to make Korean the only display and default language, registry edits, and several combinations of keyboard layouts.

My question would be is what I'm trying to accomplish even possible without using a native Korean version of Win10? Is the change that occurs when moving between active windows unavoidable? Seems as though even if the language settings do not appear to have changed in the tray, I have to manually toggle IME and character buttons to regain output in Hangul.

:)

MrsEsterhouse, Sep 9, 2019
  2. ironsand Win User

How to change default input language for Korean IME

Hello,

I'm using WIndows 10 Japanese edition, and I also use Korean IME.

When I change IME Japanese to Korean, Korean IME is in English input mode.

I have to change Korean IME state English to Korean(Hangul).

How can I make Korean input mode(Hangul) is default in Korean IME?

Thanks.

ironsand, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Difficulty with Korean and Japanese IME inputs

Apologies if this is under the wrong topic. Further apologies for the lengthiness of this question, this was the only way I could explain the entire issue. Let me know if further clarification is required.

I have recently purchased a Korean keyboard with Hangul written on each key, as well as a "한/영" (han/yeong) key. From what I can tell, the 한/영 key works
    almost the same as the Right Alt key, in that it changes the Korean input between Hangul and Latin.

However, I've been experiencing some issues with my Japanese input method, and I believe using the 한/영 key is causing these issues. Below I've outlined two scenarios to try and describe my experiences. The error is only with the Japanese inputs.

Scenario 1:

• I use the Korean input method, and swap between Hangul and Latin inputs by pressing
      Right Alt.
    • I press Left Alt + Shift to change from Korean to Japanese.
    • If I type "nihongo" with the Hiragana input, it results with にほんご ("nihongo" in Hiragana).
    • If I type "nihongo" with the Romaji input, it results with nihongo ("nihongo" in Romaji).
    This is what I expect/prefer, and I was also attaining these results with my old keyboard.

Scenario 2:

• I use the Korean input method, and swap between Hangul and Latin inputs by pressing the 한/영 key.
    • I press Left Alt + Shift to change from Korean to Japanese.
    • If I type "nihongo" with the Hiragana input, it results with みにくらみきら ("minikuramikira" in Hiragana)
    • If I type "nihongo" with the Romaji input, it results with ミニクラミキラ ("minikuramikira" in halfwidth Katakana).
    This is not the result I want. I believe this result ("nihongo" -> "minikuramikira") is from a "Kana" keyboard layout, but as far as I can tell, my settings have not been changed from the Romaji keyboard layout.

After a reboot, I experience the results from Scenario 1, as long as I only use the Right Alt key to swap between Hangul/Latin.

However, once I use the 한/영 key, it somehow affects the Japanese input methods and I'm stuck with the results from Scenario 2 until I reboot my computer.

Besides avoiding using the 한/영 key, is there any way to resolve this issue? Otherwise, any other insight on what could be happening would also be appreciated.

Cordelia S., Sep 9, 2019
  4. 한곤김 Win User

Korean IME Input Lost Between Apps / Active Window

Some problems in IME for Chinese and Korean

Microsoft IME for Chinese and Korean has some problem.

1. Touchscreen interface.

I use ChangJIe IME in touchscreen. ChangJie IME input is based on Chinese calligraphy and is not phonetic based. In most time, we can easily get only one candidate character. (For example, 倉=人戈日口, no other candidates). So, most time we don't need to select
    character from candidate list. In real keyboard, we press "Space" instead of press number to select character. But somehow, touchscreen keyboard "DOESN'T" allow me to use space key to select character so I need to touch character in the list (even there only
    one) and is very inconvenient. In Android or iOS uses "Space" to hit and select candidate key. If you understand some Chinese, try to see HK Microsoft community and many Hong Kong people complain this problem but seems they just say "We will improve"?

2. Also touchscreen keyboard, why keystroke appears in the input box? Example, assume we input 倉= 人戈日口(OIAR) so we need press 人戈日口(OIAR) but this will appear in the input box not above touchscreen IME so I need to move my eyes from top to bottom(Example
    we use edge to try search something on the web so we need to type Chinese in the address bar) to see if there is any typo. In Android or iOS system keystrokes will appear at the top of the IME. This should be improved.

3. Why Chinese and Korean IME include English keyboard??

I understand most Korean and Chinese people can only speak one or two languages and their display language is also in either Korean or Chinese so therefore they don't need to frequently switch IME and they usually use "Shift" and "Left Alt" to switch English
    input instead of use "Windows + Space" to switch different IME. But why don't you make an option allows Chinese and Korean IME doesn't allow to input English? It is VERY INCONVENIENT when I switch to different language and start to type, it shows English instead
    of Korean or Chinese. in Mac OS, you know they use "Command + Shift" and each IME only has one language and doesn't have problem I just explained. I added "English" in language list to use English as displayed language so English IME also appears in the IME
    list. This makes me to feel I have "Three" English keyboard plus Korean and Chinese keyboard. I'm so sad when I switch to different language and use "Backspace" to remove wrong characters and use "Shift" or "Left Alt" to change language again but I already
    changed to different IME.

4. Character set for Changjie IME.

I was studying in Macau so I don't understand simplified characters at all but why those ugly simplified characters appear on the list of candidate keys? I found Microsoft Pingyin only shows Simplified Chinese characters so Changjie IME can eliminates simplified
    Chinese characters. Pleased don't include all characters in Unicode Set of Changjie input but try to eliminate simplified characters in the database or make option to remove simplified characters which are useless for me.

한곤김, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Korean IME Input Lost Between Apps / Active Window

1. Korean IME Input Lost Between Apps / Active Window - Similar Threads - Korean IME Input

2. korean IME documentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    korean IME documentation: i have noticed that recent updates to the korean IME input have had some issues for recent updates of windows 11. for a few updates, the extended hanja didnt display definitions and the full-width option was nonfunctional, along with other problems. they have since patched...
  3. korean IME documentation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    korean IME documentation: i have noticed that recent updates to the korean IME input have had some issues for recent updates of windows 11. for a few updates, the extended hanja didnt display definitions and the full-width option was nonfunctional, along with other problems. they have since patched...
  4. Korean IME in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Korean IME in Windows 11: HiThanks for your reply! I bought a new pc and found that Windows 11 does not install me a Korean IME. So, I cannot type Korean in my pc at all. I did follow all of guides to have done Korean as a default language and installed all the Korean language pack. After all, my...
  5. Korean IME in Windows 11

Korean IME in Windows 11: HiThanks for your reply! I bought a new pc and found that Windows 11 does not install me a Korean IME. So, I cannot type Korean in my pc at all. I did follow all of guides to have done Korean as a default language and installed all the Korean language pack. After all, my...
  6. Korean Microsoft IME not prioritized

Korean Microsoft IME not prioritized: So i have seen questions about this before and want to clear this up at this point in time.I have added korean keybard to my keyboards. Korean keyboard consists of 2 keyboards, english and korean. So i have 2 keyboards, swedish my main, and korean which has english and...
  7. Korean IME toggle between Hangul/English without clicking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Korean IME toggle between Hangul/English without clicking: I just recently updated my computer from Windows 10 to 11.I have English, Japanese, and Korean Keyboards installed.In the past I was able to toggle between Hangul/English with "Left-Alt" but now that I have updated it is not letting me do this. Everytime I want to type in...
  8. Korean IME toggle between Hangul/English without clicking

Korean IME toggle between Hangul/English without clicking: I just recently updated my computer from Windows 10 to 11.I have English, Japanese, and Korean Keyboards installed.In the past I was able to toggle between Hangul/English with "Left-Alt" but now that I have updated it is not letting me do this. Everytime I want to type in...
  9. Korean & Japanese IME

in Windows 10 Customization
    Korean & Japanese IME: why do i need Korean & Japanese IME ? I dont speak either one.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/korean-japanese-ime/127122fd-5d4f-4661-bf79-509407fdbd0b
  10. How to change default input language for Korean IME

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change default input language for Korean IME: Hello, I'm using WIndows 10 Japanese edition, and I also use Korean IME. When I change IME Japanese to Korean, Korean IME is in English input mode. I have to change Korean IME state English to Korean(Hangul). How can I make Korean input mode(Hangul) is default in...