Windows 10: KVM better than vmware workstation and Esxi and NON PROPRIETARY

Discus and support KVM better than vmware workstation and Esxi and NON PROPRIETARY in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there. I got esxi running but not really satisfied with performance and the hassle of controlling VM's from a remote computer. So I decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Apr 16, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

KVM better than vmware workstation and Esxi and NON PROPRIETARY

Hi there.

I got esxi running but not really satisfied with performance and the hassle of controlling VM's from a remote computer.

So I decided to re-visit using KVM (can be considered Linux's equivalent to HYPER-V). KVM is free of course (it's part of most Linux distros - but RHEL (and Centos naturally) has this down to a fine art so install documentation is really good.

It turned out surprisingly easy from a CENTOS 7 HOST and I/O performance is STREETS ahead of both VMWARE workstation and the VM running under Esxi.

The other nice thing is that you can also control the VM's on the LOCAL HOST. PCI passthru works fine and you can use "paravirtualisation" if you want to install specific hardware drivers on the VM to extract even better performance.

VMware esxi VM's can be converted easily enough - or re-installing the Guest OS is a doddle anyway.

(Note - you have to enable VT-X in the BIOS on intel CPU's --usually all done by default these days -- for AMD there's an equivalent but don't know what it is).

Very happy with this solution -- you can install a minimal Linux system and control everything via a CLI if you don't want a Linux GUI. I'd recommend doing it from the GUI for beginners.

For those playing around with Linux Hosts who want to try other ways of running Windows Guests I'd recommend having a look at KVM -- it really is surprisingly easy -- AND STABLE !!!. Also being able to control the VM's from a local host is a great advantage for "Home user" who don't need Enterprise type solutions.

Install KVM (QEMU) on CentOS 7 / RHEL 7

Note -- there is a bug you can't use a PHYSICAL ISO to create the VM - an Image iso (disk based iso) works fine.

This works for most other common distros too --opensuse, Ubuntu, Linux Mint etc.

Have fun

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 16, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 vs Remote NDIS - Ethernet USB/Gadget not recognized

I extended my tests.

1st Setup: Windows 10, GE, 64 bit, no patches, not registered. Guest on ESXI 5.5 server with VMware workstation 10> FAIL

2nd Setup: Windows 10 GE 64 bit latest patches, not registered. Guest onVMware workstation 11> FAIL

3rd Setup: Windows 10 En 64 bit latest patches, registed. Guest on Visual Box > OK

4th setup: Windows 10 EN 64 bit, latest patches, registed. Dell latitude > OK

Conclusion: Is there an issue with Windows 10 guest OS and VMware?

Could you confirm this?

Jochen Steinhilber, Apr 16, 2016
Thema:

KVM better than vmware workstation and Esxi and NON PROPRIETARY

1. KVM better than vmware workstation and Esxi and NON PROPRIETARY - Similar Threads - KVM better vmware

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  4. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  5. Anything better than VMWare Workstation?

Anything better than VMWare Workstation?: I thought it's the best, I tried it the other day and found it not very user friendly. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to access files that are on my computer in the VM and even the drag/drop file function didn't work as it had a stop sign sign Is there a better...
  6. Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation

Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation: Hi there @johnnyZ Here's a screenshot of an Arch Linux system running as a VM on ESXI 5.7 (Esxi is the HOST OS) with the arch linux kernel at 5.3.11 and this VM running VMWare workstation -- so in theory your VM's could easily use any VMWare VM images from USB devices while...
  7. Any VMWare esxi users here

Any VMWare esxi users here: Hi folks. Any ESXI users here -- interested particularly how Windows VM's performs on it. Would prefer people using either at home or in small tests rather than Enterprise shops at work say. Would also be interested if one can manage VM's decently with the Free ESXi version...
  8. Configure VMware Workstation

Configure VMware Workstation: Hi, Based on a scenario, I have queries as following. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop. As guest OS, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are installed in VMware Workstation. I have to do a setup for networking...
  9. VMWare Workstation 10.4

VMWare Workstation 10.4: VMWare Workstation 10.4 is on the street. Up and running, and at the moment haven't had any problems running any OS. 2753
  10. vmware workstation 12.5.2

vmware workstation 12.5.2: Hi folks If you are running Linux Hosts this version of VMWARE workstation (and similar release of vmplayer) seems to have fixed problems of "wobbly mouse" etc -- also when scrolling inside the GUEST in windowed mode --I.E Windowed mode WITHIN the guest the scroll is...