Windows 10: KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

Discus and support KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Apr 18, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

Hi there.

It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running.
    One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze.

I'm currently playing with this -- it looks like some modules from QEMU need to be updated -- and one needs to use IOMMU to get any sort of decent I/O throughput - even on SSD's.

I'll post back when I've got some better results -- note I haven't a CLUE about AMD CPU's . I think also getting USB and SOUND on to the second level VM could be a problem. PCI passthru is pretty easy from the KVM Host to the Windows VM (ist level) but passing that to the second level VM is proving somewhat problematical.

(HOST --CENTOS 7 with KVM, ist level VM W10 pro with HYPER-V enabled, second level VM W7 ultimate -- all x-64 machines).

I believe also performance can be improved by switching from Full virtualisation to "Para virtualision" on the guests -- easily enough done with settings in KVM - but then passthru gets a bit ????.

Anyway I've got some time to play with all this --when I'm done I'll post a guide. It should work also for most other common Linux distros capable of running KVM.

Tip - don't use the libvirt manager GUI as a console for your VM's as once in Full screen you can't always get back to Windowed mode -- might be my mouse etc. Use RDP / VNC instead -- no problem connecting to VM's even if you are running the VM's on your local machine.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 18, 2016
  2. RFT OB1 Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, Apr 18, 2016
  3. joerayner Win User
    Secure file share with between host and hyper-v guest

I have a windows 10 host running hyper-v. I want to share the files that are on the host securely with a hyper-v vm without having to copy the files, i.e. the file share is on the host not the guest.

Current method is to set up a file share on the host and disable authentication for ALL file shares, this is so that I do not need to store the host account
    credential on the VM which would be a risk. I then set up a internal virtual switch in hyper-v and disable files sharing protocal on ALL other network interfaces on the host. I not sure this is secure but its defiantly not very elegant for such a seeming
    simple problem.

I can see it causeing problems in the future when we need another files share on the host for a differnet reason.

Is there a simpler, less invasive way to do this?

joerayner, Apr 18, 2016
  4. indu119 Win User

Hi.

I'll be trying something similar out.
    With Hyper-V on Ubuntu 14.04
    Need some help to get it working.

Can you please mention the modifications/updations that are needed?
    The guide would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    indu.

indu119, Apr 22, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'll have a go with this over the weekend -- not doing much else this weekend so I've got a bit of time.
    It should work on UBUNTU as well -- note enable VTX on your CPU or it won't work.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 22, 2016
  6. lberteau Win User
    Hi,

I would be interested in your guide too.

I have KVM with nested virtualization enabled running on Ubuntu 14.04, and a Windows Server 2012 R2 guest.
    But in the guest, the command line
    Code: wmic cpu get VirtualizationFirmwareEnabled[/quote] returns false

Thanks.

lberteau, May 3, 2016
  7. Hi,

I would also like to try this on Ubuntu 14.04
    Can you please let me know how to get it working.
    You mentioned that some modules of QEMU needs to be updated.
    Any details on how to get this working will be helpful

Regards,
    Sagar

sagarnikam, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting) - Similar Threads - KVM Host W10

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  5. HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host: Hi folks particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!! I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I was wondering would es RDP from the host to the VM enable me to get sensible resolution on the vm - Needs a bit of fiddling on...
  6. HYPER-V run VM in background question

HYPER-V run VM in background question: Hi there @Kari (sorry but you seem to be the acknowleged expert in this) If I have a HYPER-V VM running but I want to sign out (not logoff just sign out as a particular user) of Windows (the HOST) can the VM still run in background mode so other people can log on to it or...
  7. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  8. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  9. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...
  10. Quirk Logging in to a Hyper-v W10 vm

Quirk Logging in to a Hyper-v W10 vm: tiptoed into hyper-v before but this lasted build I find myself having to enter the guest login password twice. Windows guest password is entered on a seaside background it then switches to a mountainscape background asking for the password again. Any ideas how I can fix...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wmic cpu get VirtualizationFirmwareEnabled kvm