Windows 10: KVM Hosts with newer kernels and Sound on Windows Guests - Sound fixed

Discus and support KVM Hosts with newer kernels and Sound on Windows Guests - Sound fixed in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there If you are having trouble with Sound on Windows Guests when using KVM with recent kernels then install the gst-plugins-good as libvirt changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 15, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

KVM Hosts with newer kernels and Sound on Windows Guests - Sound fixed

Hi there
    If you are having trouble with Sound on Windows Guests when using KVM with recent kernels then install the gst-plugins-good as libvirt changed a bit.

For Arch / Manjaro :
    sudo pacman -S extra/gst-plugins-good (or simply sudo pacman -S gst-plugins-good) and then reboot / power on the guest.

For other distros use your package manager.

Working fine now with kernel 5.10.16

Cheers

Jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Windows guests no sound using VMWare on Linux Hosts after alsa update

Hi folks

Can't get any sound on Windows Guests (XP/W7/W10) on Linux Hosts after latest alsa (sound) / kernel updates.

Sound on Host working perfectly, Windows VM's running on KVM also sound working perfectly on them too.

Kernel is 5.10.13-arch1 Vmware workstation release 16.1.0.

rolling back alsa libraries - then it works but that's usually not a good idea - you should keep host properly updated whatever OS you are running.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

Hi folks
    for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to guests - Windows 10 runs fine -- just follow steps in this link

Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough s Blog

It certainly is a lot easier and more flexible than HYPER-V and it doesn't need Windows PRO to run - so any machine with a Linux distro -- go for it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Example of Windows 10 Running on KVM (Hypervisor) on Linux Host

Hi folks

Here's a recent build of Windows 10 running on the Linux HYPERVISOR (equivalent to Windows HYPER-V) KVM -- it's built into the kernel so all the extra packagres are available to run this. The main problem is to create a network bridge (equivalent to HYPER-V external switch) which you need - otherwise your VM won't have access to anything else on the network other than VM's on the same network.

KVM Hosts with newer kernels and Sound on Windows Guests - Sound fixed [​IMG]

However follow this and it's easy enough (similar on other distros such as ubuntu as well)

Install and Configure KVM (Bridge Net Interface) on CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 – tuxfixer.com

The only other thing left to do is to add the equivalent of VBOX additions etc to optimise video / sound / i/o.

Install the virtio-win package from Fedora and also download the .iso. Attach the .iso to the windows guest and install within the windows guest-- "Seeemples ...."! You need to install both on host and guest - the iso has signed windows binaries.

No probs with sound / networking or adding usb devices.

I'm running this as a test -- the HOST OS is booted from an external SSD via USB, the VM is on another external SSD via usb so not the best way and I've still to add the additions - but the Guest is snappy enough so far.

I'll probably create some more Windows VM's this way as I can probably run a lot more VM's with KVM than using VMWARE workstation

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

1. KVM Hosts with newer kernels and Sound on Windows Guests - Sound fixed - Similar Threads - KVM Hosts newer

2. Extend C drive of Windows guest VM in KVM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extend C drive of Windows guest VM in KVM: Dear Team,We are using Windows server 2019 Evaluation Trial license -180 days as a KVM based virtual machine. In this VM we are trying to expand the C drive but it's grayed out in "Disk Manager". And I went trough some of the links over internet which says that its been...
  3. Extend C drive of Windows guest VM in KVM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend C drive of Windows guest VM in KVM: Dear Team,We are using Windows server 2019 Evaluation Trial license -180 days as a KVM based virtual machine. In this VM we are trying to expand the C drive but it's grayed out in "Disk Manager". And I went trough some of the links over internet which says that its been...
  4. Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM: Hi folks Two ways -- pass the pci device of say the SSD or whatever to your Windows Guest - then use Native file system If you can't pass the pci device then create a virtio disk - then before booting up change the xml for that disk to : <disk type="file" device="disk">...
  5. Windows guests no sound using VMWare on Linux Hosts after alsa update

Windows guests no sound using VMWare on Linux Hosts after alsa update: Hi folks Can't get any sound on Windows Guests (XP/W7/W10) on Linux Hosts after latest alsa (sound) / kernel updates. Sound on Host working perfectly, Windows VM's running on KVM also sound working perfectly on them too. Kernel is 5.10.13-arch1 Vmware workstation release...
  6. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  7. VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around

VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around: Hi folks I know some here run Host Linux systems and run Windows VM's using VMWare. On some distros with kernel 5.7.9 vmware won't install properly --this is because on some distros the kernel headers are back level to the 5.7.7 kernel. However upgrading to the development...
  8. KVM Linux VPS Hosting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    KVM Linux VPS Hosting: Is there any best KVM Linux VPS hosting providers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/kvm-linux-vps-hosting/d176f644-031c-4867-888f-1ad7a5a47130
  9. Fixing sound

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fixing sound: I' still have trouble i have tried to update my windows 10 laptop, i waited for it but then it came back that it couldn't do it so i still have no sound https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fixing-sound/439ccf27-1a9e-47b0-8a36-53b76060ad05
  10. Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM): Hi folks for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to guests - Windows 10 runs fine -- just follow steps in this link Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough s...