Windows 10: KVM Switching Causes Monitors to be Rediscovered - Win10

Discus and support KVM Switching Causes Monitors to be Rediscovered - Win10 in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi all, this is my inaugural post into tenforums so thanks in advance for entertaining my issue. I hope I'm covering all the bases here but let me know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by imcintyr, Nov 14, 2018.

1. imcintyr Win User

KVM Switching Causes Monitors to be Rediscovered - Win10

Hi all, this is my inaugural post into tenforums so thanks in advance for entertaining my issue. I hope I'm covering all the bases here but let me know if I need to provide more info. I did complete my PC specs page with most of the info but I can get more specific if needed.

The main issue is that my Win10 Pro 64bit machine 'reconnects' to my monitors each time I switch back from my Win7 Ent 64bit laptop. 'Reconnects' = The Win10 PC makes that sound like a peripheral is being unplugged and plugged back in. This moves all windows to the primary display. Will I live? Yes. But I'd really like to fix it since it never happened before I switched from Win7 to Win10 and doesn't currently happen on my Win7 laptop connected to slot 2 on the same KVM. Additionally, it started happening a while after I switched to Win10, then stopped for a couple of days after I installed a monitor driver, and then began again.

What I have done so far is search the Internet for anything remotely similar to my issue. I was unsuccessful on an exact match. Then I did a clean install of monitor drivers and GPU drivers to no avail.

For the problem machine, the monitors are both DVI connections to the KVM and the KVM is connected to the Win10 machine with DVI > DP cables (Link below).

The Win7 laptop has no issues with the same set-up.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, any recommendations?

KVM
    https://www.amazon.com/ConnectPRO-Master-UDD-12A-KIT-UDD-12A-PLUS-KIT/dp/B00PK2JO3M

DVI > DP Cables
    Win10 > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725Y782P/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KVM Switching Causes Monitors to be Rediscovered - Win10 [​IMG]

:)

imcintyr, Nov 14, 2018
  2. KVM PRO Win User

KVM switch with win 10

I don't think it is Windows 10 caused the issues but the design concept of the KVM switches with those cases. I had using ConnectPRO Plus serial KVM switches with Windows 10 systems for a long time, and I never experienced the resolutions resizing issues.

Most of KVM switches in market are designed with emulation-base technology in devices sharing including for sharing the monitor, so when the more advanced OS, like Windows 10, is upgraded to those emulation-base KVM switch will have difficult in emulating
    /fitting the timing to the systems upgrade to Windows 10 which monitoring the I/O hot-plug and connected devices' status all the time.

I don't like to give suggestion of just changing the KVM switch and find a KVM switch based on DDM technology, but looks like there is no other solution then using more advanced KVM switches based on the DDM technology (Dynamic Device Mapping). Of you
    may want to using an EDID emulator putting it between each connected PC/system and your old KVM switch to keep feeding the EDID of your monitor to the Windows 10 PC/system.

KVM PRO, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Jon Doe Win User
    Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch

Hi,
    When using Win10 with my monitor it correctly sets the resolution to 1360x768.
    When I use my KVM switch it changes the resolution to 1024x768 which looks all wrong. I try to manually change the resolution but 1360x768 is not on the list. I have unchecked the "hide modes" in the advanced monitor setting but still no 1360x768.
    The other PC connected to the KVM switch is running XP and that works fine on 1360x768 so I know the KVM is capable of using this setting.
    How can I fix this?
    I was thinking there must be a way of manually setting and locking the resolution or turning of the auto monitor detection.

I did some googling and found a program which looked like it would help but not for the Intel chipset (using on board graphics).

Many thanks

JD

Jon Doe, Nov 14, 2018
  4. jim85213 Win User

Good KVM Switch for Gaming

Does anyone have a suggestion for a gaming KVM switch. I have a system I do all my standard computing on and I'm currently building a gaming system. I want to get a KVM switch because I don't have the money or space for a new monitor. Are there any KVM switches that work exceptionally between standard and gaming systems, without losing video quality and performance???

jim85213, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

1. KVM Switching Causes Monitors to be Rediscovered - Win10 - Similar Threads - KVM Switching Causes

2. Optimizing Battery Performance When Using KVM Switch with External Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optimizing Battery Performance When Using KVM Switch with External Monitor: I am currently utilizing a KVM switch to connect two laptops to a single external monitor. However, I encounter issues when toggling between laptops, especially when one laptop's lid is closed. To address this, I've adjusted the lid settings to prevent the laptop from...
  3. Optimizing Battery Performance When Using KVM Switch with External Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optimizing Battery Performance When Using KVM Switch with External Monitor: I am currently utilizing a KVM switch to connect two laptops to a single external monitor. However, I encounter issues when toggling between laptops, especially when one laptop's lid is closed. To address this, I've adjusted the lid settings to prevent the laptop from...
  4. Issue with a KVM switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with a KVM switch: Hello, This is an odd one. I am currently using a KVM switch. Both computers are running Windows 11. Here is my set up: Monitors are 2 4K monitorsMonitor 1: M28U Monitor 2: Asus Predator something Computer 1: Desktop Graphics Card 3080 TIComputer 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop...
  5. Issue with a KVM switch

Issue with a KVM switch: Hello, This is an odd one. I am currently using a KVM switch. Both computers are running Windows 11. Here is my set up: Monitors are 2 4K monitorsMonitor 1: M28U Monitor 2: Asus Predator something Computer 1: Desktop Graphics Card 3080 TIComputer 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop...
  6. KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor: I have a kvm for my work laptop and home desktop. When I switch to home desktop pc2, the monitors work fine. When I switch to the work laptop pc1, one of the monitors occasionally doesn’t register it’s always the same monitor that does not register. Typically, unplugging...
  7. KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor

KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor: I have a kvm for my work laptop and home desktop. When I switch to home desktop pc2, the monitors work fine. When I switch to the work laptop pc1, one of the monitors occasionally doesn’t register it’s always the same monitor that does not register. Typically, unplugging...
  8. Duel Monitor KVM Switch - Keyboard not being recognized on one of the computers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Duel Monitor KVM Switch - Keyboard not being recognized on one of the computers: I have a dual monitor KVM switch PWAY HDMI 2.0 KVM Switch 2 port that I use to switch between work and my personal computer; both are running Windows 10. I upgraded my keyboard recently from a razor gaming keyboard to the new Steelseries APEX PRO keyboard which utilizes a 3.0...
  9. Windows 10 / 7 disabling monitor autodetect for a two monitor setup with a KVM switch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 / 7 disabling monitor autodetect for a two monitor setup with a KVM switch: Hi. I just got a new desktop computer to replace my 10 year-old desktop and I'm having the same autodetect problem in Win 10 as I did with Win 7 many years ago. I have two monitors with a DVI KVM switch and when I switch away from my Win 10 computer, the windows and icons...
  10. Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch: Hi, When using Win10 with my monitor it correctly sets the resolution to 1360x768. When I use my KVM switch it changes the resolution to 1024x768 which looks all wrong. I try to manually change the resolution but 1360x768 is not on the list. I have unchecked the "hide...