Windows 10: kWindows Explorer and Office documents

Discus and support kWindows Explorer and Office documents in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since the Windows 10 update 1-15-20, I am unable to open Office documents from Windows Explorer. I can open Office documents from the Office app Word,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CarolynWebb1, Jan 24, 2020.

1. kWindows Explorer and Office documents

Since the Windows 10 update 1-15-20, I am unable to open Office documents from Windows Explorer. I can open Office documents from the Office app Word, Excel, etc. Windows explorer will open other files, such as PDF's and photos. I have just checked that Windows is up to date, and tried repairing Office. I have a Geek Squad plan but they have been unable to resolve the problem. Any help appreciated.

:)

CarolynWebb1, Jan 24, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Links in Open Office documents doesn’t connect to web

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that links created in Open Office documents doesn’t connect to Web. However, it would be great if you can help us with the details requested below:

• What happens when you click on the links in Open Office document?
    • Do you receive any error message/code? If yes, what is the error message/code?
    • Which browser are you using as default?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the articles on
    Using hyperlinks
    and
    Hyperlinks and URLs
    and see if that helps.

You may also want to try resetting the file association for HTTP and HTTPS files to default and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Apps and select
      Default apps
      from the left pane.
    3. Click on Choose default apps by protocol.
    4. Look for HTTP and HTTPS in the list and makes sure that the protocols are associated with
      Internet Explorer.
    5. If you do not see Internet Explorer associated, click on the application name and select
      Internet Explorer from the list.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Open Office Documents online from File Explorer

Is there a way to change the default action for double clicking a file type?

My specific context is that I use Office Online and OneDrive in Windows 10. Double-clicking on an office document from the OneDrive file explorer window is set to "Open" the document. Since I don't have a licensed version of Office installed on my machine,
    the document just opens in Office with a big prompt that I need to buy office before I can use it.

When I right click on the document in file explorer, however, there is an option to "View online". Selecting this option opens the document in Office Online and allows me to start working with it right away.

kWindows Explorer and Office documents dbd9ae43-486d-467c-8585-2401ac10d0d1.png

So, I'm looking for a way to change the default action for double clicking Office files.
    I want to change the default action from "Open" to "View online" (saving me the step of having to right click first).
    How do I do this?

NomadicYeti, Jan 24, 2020
  4. John Fer Win User

kWindows Explorer and Office documents

documents

Hi Richard,

To sort your documents in your File Explorer by date, we suggest following the steps below:

• Type File Explorer in Cortana search box to open File Explorer.
    • Go to the folder that you want to sort.
    • Click on View that is located on the top part of the window.
    • Click on Sort by.
    • Choose Date.

Your files should be sorted by date with this option.

Let us know if this works for you.

John Fer, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

kWindows Explorer and Office documents

1. kWindows Explorer and Office documents - Similar Threads - kWindows Explorer Office

2. Office Document listed in OneDrive Web not listed in in File Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Office Document listed in OneDrive Web not listed in in File Explorer ?: Is there any problem when Document listed in OneDrive Web is not showing in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-document-listed-in-onedrive-web-not-listed/5f956cdf-36dc-42db-b4c2-f760a0f41ef1
  3. Office Document listed in OneDrive Web not listed in in File Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office Document listed in OneDrive Web not listed in in File Explorer ?: Is there any problem when Document listed in OneDrive Web is not showing in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-document-listed-in-onedrive-web-not-listed/5f956cdf-36dc-42db-b4c2-f760a0f41ef1
  4. Office Document listed in OneDrive Web not listed in in File Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. ms office documents

ms office documents: why i cannot open ms office documents from whatsapp web or email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-documents/4fa25b34-6482-4e8d-aaa9-79b9f9d8a251
  6. File Explorer hangs when trying to interract with Microsoft Office documents

File Explorer hangs when trying to interract with Microsoft Office documents: I have had this problem before, but it went away on its own and now it has reappeared again. Any excel or word document in my folders cannot be interacted with. I cannot even delete them, when I press on them with right click, try to move them anywhere or try to open them...
  7. Windows Explorer and Office documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer and Office documents: Since the Windows 10 update 1-15-20, I am unable to open Office documents from Windows Explorer. I can open Office documents from the Office app Word, Excel, etc. Windows explorer will open other files, such as PDF's and photos. I have just checked that Windows is up to...
  8. Office 2016 - no preview of Excel documents in File Explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 - no preview of Excel documents in File Explorer: Brand new laptop with freshly installed Office 2016 (Windows 10 version 1903). I cannot get Excel docs to preview in File Explorer (no problem with all other Office documents and PDFs). Looking online, I've seen that this is a relatively common problem. I've tried all the...
  9. difference in onedrive documents and office live documents

difference in onedrive documents and office live documents: Been using Office 365 for years. also using win10home. What is the difference in "OneDrive Documents" and "office live documents"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-in-onedrive-documents-and-office-live/cc1f969f-c535-4a02-8cfa-c92be6adaa5e"
  10. Saving office documents

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Saving office documents: I have just created a new word document. When I try to do a "file", "save as" it tells me I don't have permission to save in that location and to contact the administrator to obtain permission. I am the administrator as mine is the only name in the users. Has anyone else come...