Windows 10: lack permissions to my documents

Discus and support lack permissions to my documents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I moved the location of "documents" to a different drive, and that seems to work pretty well for me. so far, no problems. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shmu26, Jul 14, 2015.

1. shmu26 Win User

lack permissions to my documents

I moved the location of "documents" to a different drive, and that seems to work pretty well for me. so far, no problems.

shmu26, Jul 18, 2015

2. I jumped on the Win10 TP bandwagon at build 10074 and was fine until build 10166, at which point I lost access privileges to /Documents and /Games and possibly other directory locations. Any file edited in Word, for example, has to be saved to OneDrive because all my local files are locked as "read only." Going into Windows Explorer and manually changing permissions fails - everything reverts to "read only" immediately afterward.

I read elsewhere that this kind of problem can happen when a user profile is corrupted, so I followed Microsoft's official instructions for addressing corrupted profiles in Win8.1, hoping it would do the trick in Win10 (I am currently on build 10240 and still have the same inability to save files locally from within apps like Word or games that I am playing). Unfortunately, they require me to copy the contents of My Documents from the corrupted profile to a new profile, but I am entirely unable to open My Documents. Given that Win10 uses My Documents only as a symbolic link, which directories do I really need to copy to test whether the problem is just a corrupt user profile? Many thanks in advance for suggestions (including telling me that this should be opened in a separate thread; I'm often unclear when that is merited, especially when my problem seems highly similar to the OP's problem).

Cincinnatux, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

lack permissions to my documents

1. lack permissions to my documents - Similar Threads - lack permissions documents

2. Apparent "lack of appreciate permissions to access an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apparent "lack of appreciate permissions to access an app: I'm trying to open an app Fortnite from my Alienware laptop, but an issue persists "Windows cannot access the specified device ,path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I have tried giving permissions, and we'll that didn't work, so I...
  3. Apparent "lack of appreciate permissions to access an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apparent "lack of appreciate permissions to access an app: I'm trying to open an app Fortnite from my Alienware laptop, but an issue persists "Windows cannot access the specified device ,path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I have tried giving permissions, and we'll that didn't work, so I...
  4. Change permissions for mutiple document files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change permissions for mutiple document files: Dear all!!My Win 10 Laptop has just been assaulted by a ransomware virus that encrypted all my files to the filename extension ".WNCRY.aawt", all but the document files .doc .txt. docx.Of the latter, I can only access their content if I change the file permissions, which have...
  5. Change permissions for mutiple document files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change permissions for mutiple document files: Dear all!!My Win 10 Laptop has just been assaulted by a ransomware virus that encrypted all my files to the filename extension ".WNCRY.aawt", all but the document files .doc .txt. docx.Of the latter, I can only access their content if I change the file permissions, which have...
  6. Change permissions for mutiple document files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. can't modify file due to lack of permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    can't modify file due to lack of permissions: I am admin on my home PC and since i upgraded to 10 i can't seem to do a lot of things. In some cases i have been able to go into the file's properties and allow myself permission but in others not. Why is this? And how can i just have full control over everything? I can't...
  8. Access denied or lack permission on a private network

Access denied or lack permission on a private network: My home network consists of one laptop and one desktop. Same local passwords on both, and are registered with the same MS live account. There are no restrictions, and mutual access is without passwords. The laptop is version 2004 and this works well and the desktop is still...
  9. I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission.

I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission.: Hi, I bought this computer a few months ago and I installed it with Windows 10 Home Activated. Lately This week, when I download anything from the internet that contains a folder Like a .rar file I can't delete the folder, it says I need permissions from the administrator....
  10. lack sufficient permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    lack sufficient permissions: My user account refuses to allow me to be the administrator, tells me I lack sufficient permissions to change files. I am the only user. As a test user I can be administrator. Help. Adobe guys spent hours trying to make their apps let me import or export files. Nothing...