Windows 10: Lag issue between home office and work

Discus and support Lag issue between home office and work in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a remote connection issue with severe lag between my home office computer and my work. The lag opens a window and that is about it on my work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JeremyPyle1, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Lag issue between home office and work

I have a remote connection issue with severe lag between my home office computer and my work. The lag opens a window and that is about it on my work computer. The computer with the lag problem has a Ryzen 5 3600 processor, 32GB ram running Windows 11 Pro. My MSP had me test my connection to my work network on another computer from my house and the connection works great except for this machine. They recommended updating the BIOS, which I did yesterday. The motherboard is an ASUS STRIX B550A mother board. The connection speed on the home network is 476/31. Last note, I had the same

:)

JeremyPyle1, Dec 19, 2021
  2. Jose Est Win User

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Dec 19, 2021
  3. Greg U. Win User
    File browsing lag in Windows 10 with OpenVPN drive and MS Office

Hi All,

This is the most complicated and weird issue I've come across in a long while. There are a lot of variables here so let me list them all.

First of all the issue description:

When I browse files on my network drive there's a considerable (3-6 second) lag if I single left-click a MS Office file or if I right-click an MS Office file. This is the baseline. Imagine that you see the list of files/folders in Explorer (or in Total Commander)
    and you just click on a MS Office file, highlighting it, and you can see at the bottom of the Explorer window that it takes 3 seconds until the click is acknowledged. If you right-click the file then it is an additional 3 seconds until you get the option list.
    All MS Office files seem to have a set lag - meaning a particular file will always lag 3 seconds, the other one will always lag 5 seconds and so on. I can see the lag in the task manager looking at the Ethernet performance, as a huge 500-600kb lag spike can
    be seen for the whole duration.

Variables:

You may be wondering why I specify that MS Office file in the issue description: because the lag only happens with MS Office files. If I click or right-click a PDF file - no lag, if a text file - no lag, if any other file other than MS Office - no lag.

This issue only happens if I have Windows 10 installed, with the Office 2013 and 2016 (have not tried earlier Office versions).

The network folder is a Rackspace dedicated CentOS Linux server sharing with Samba and the office PCs use OpenVPN with certificates to access the drive. My Windows 7 pro PCs don't have this issue - only W10.

Another interesting thing to note:

The lag only happens with MS Office files if I actually have MS Office installed. I've tested a clean install of W10, OpenVPN and no Office and I didn't have any file browsing lag of any network files. As soon as I installed Office the lag started.

You also may be wondering if the problem is with the OpenVPN: if I copy a "laggy" file to an FTP server that is also very remote (it is across the Atlantic) then there is no lag.

What I've tried to fix:

Every usual thing you can think of and nothing helped. Also, please assume that I know what I'm doing and try not to suggest things like drivers or checking file integrity. The problem happens on clean install too. With or without IPv6 enabled. It has nothing
    to do with context menu (used ShellX to view/disable them). It doesn't depend on our internet connection as I was able to replicate the issue from home too. Does not depend on antivirus or firewall setting as disabling either or both didn't help (using built-in Windows
    Defender).

The symptom basically feels like MS Office is trying to do something with its own files preemptively (before opening) - like a pre-scan of a file of some sort. Since I've never seen such behavior I'm asking here to see if anyone may have. Thanks for reading
    through my lengthy description.

Greg U., Dec 19, 2021
  4. Johan45 Win User

Lag issue between home office and work

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Dec 19, 2021
Thema:

Lag issue between home office and work

1. Lag issue between home office and work - Similar Threads - Lag issue between

2. Network between home computers Windows 11 ISSUE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network between home computers Windows 11 ISSUE: I have 2 identical HP laptops. Both were on Windows 10 and I had the home network setup so that I could transfer and send files back and forth. NO problems.for some stupid reason I Upgraded 1 to Windows 11 and now>>>From the Windows 10 I can still send easily files to the...
  3. Changing screens when traveled between home and office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing screens when traveled between home and office: Dear fellow digitals,Due to the covid thingie we now have the possibility to work one day at home and anohter at the office.The setup I use contains a laptop, a docking station USB-C for laptop + 2DP for two screens and two additional screensMy setup in office is always like...
  4. Changing screens when traveled between home and office

Changing screens when traveled between home and office: Dear fellow digitals,Due to the covid thingie we now have the possibility to work one day at home and anohter at the office.The setup I use contains a laptop, a docking station USB-C for laptop + 2DP for two screens and two additional screensMy setup in office is always like...
  5. Changing screens when traveled between home and office

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows 11 Lagging in between

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Lagging in between: So the only problem is whenever i use my win 11 laptop, it always lags in between. In that time period, the audio sounds corrupted and everything freezes. It comes back to normal after a few seconds but then again freezes. I am really getting frustrated by this and I want it...
  7. Windows 11 Lagging in between

Windows 11 Lagging in between: So the only problem is whenever i use my win 11 laptop, it always lags in between. In that time period, the audio sounds corrupted and everything freezes. It comes back to normal after a few seconds but then again freezes. I am really getting frustrated by this and I want it...
  8. Lag issue between home office and work

Lag issue between home office and work: I have a remote connection issue with severe lag between my home office computer and my work. The lag opens a window and that is about it on my work computer. The computer with the lag problem has a Ryzen 5 3600 processor, 32GB ram running Windows 11 Pro. My MSP had me test...
  9. Lag in-between startup screens

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lag in-between startup screens: I've faced this issue ever since I got this HP 15s laptop.My problem is that once I'd start my laptop from sleep, hibernate or shutdown regardless, I'd get the splash screen with the time and stuff fairly quickly, I'd press the space bar to pull up my login screen to put my...
  10. Office Home & Student 2016 not working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Office Home & Student 2016 not working: Hi, I purchased this laptop in Jan'18 for my daughter who is a student. Have bill. Laptop had pre-loadedOffice Home & Student 2016. She suffered a hard disk crash recently and got it replaced. Now when she is trying to use her Office it is asking for product key. What do we...