Windows 10: Lag when opening programs

Discus and support Lag when opening programs in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; --- revised 2/18/16 --- No further instances of lag (which can also stop macros from completing) since SUPERFETCH was disabled. However, some users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by borgus, Sep 6, 2015.

1. borgus Win User

Lag when opening programs

--- revised 2/18/16 ---
    No further instances of lag (which can also stop macros from completing) since SUPERFETCH was disabled. However, some users report occasional lag despite this measure, and the underlying problem is extant. It appears to have nothing to do with hardware, keyboard drivers, SFC or services other than SF.

-0-0-

After extensive testing and discussion with MS support, a manager pinned down the problem. It's a bug. Most folks don't use keyboard shortcuts so they're not likely to encounter it.

The lag occurs when STORE or CALCULATOR are running as a background process. MS has allegedly submitted the issue to developers.

-0-0- original post -0-0-

Click a program shortcut. The app launches immediately. Use shortcut keys and it takes four seconds.
    e.g. - Click the Quicken shortcut: immediate launch. Use the keyboard keys specified for that SC <alt|ctrl|Q>: program opens in four seconds. Why?

This did not occur in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, to my recollection. If shortcuts are deleted and reconfigured, the keyboard accelerators may work as they should - until a reboot or two. Then it's back to lagging.

START UP has relatively few programs. Both Program and Background settings for performance have been tested.

:)

borgus, Sep 6, 2015
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Computer Lags Badly When Opening Programs

Like what we've mentioned in our reply, the service that was affecting the performance of Mateo's computer may be different from yours. This is the reason why we're recommending you to disable the third party services first. This is also for us to verify
    if the issue will occur while the third party services are disabled.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Mateo103 Win User
    Computer Lags Badly When Opening Programs

The issue started when I built the computer, though it seems to have gotten worse recently.

No, there were no changes to my computer before the issue, other than me building it.

I performed a clean boot according to the instructions on the page you sent me and after a lot of trial and error, I found that the lag seems to be caused by one or more of the Microsoft services. I disabled everything and then enabled all of the non-Microsoft
    services and everything was lag-free. Then, I tried to enable the Microsoft ones and the lag came back.

I'm not sure which of the MS Services are essential to actually use my PC, so if you could tell me the bare minimum of the ones I need to be enabled to have all core functionality of my computer, that would be great. As long as I have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc...
    then I'm fine.

I would try to use process and elimination of the MS Services, but there are a huge amount of them and I have no idea what most of them do.

Thank you so much for the quick response

Mateo103, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

Lag when opening programs

1. Lag when opening programs - Similar Threads - Lag opening programs

2. Computer lags and stutter when I open specific programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer lags and stutter when I open specific programs: I was away for a month and when I came back, my computer started stuttering every time when I open faceit anticheat. Initially I thought it may be a faceit program problem so I wasn't very concerned, thinking the next update it will be resolved. But then I created a Plex...
  3. Computer lags and stutter when I open specific programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer lags and stutter when I open specific programs: I was away for a month and when I came back, my computer started stuttering every time when I open faceit anticheat. Initially I thought it may be a faceit program problem so I wasn't very concerned, thinking the next update it will be resolved. But then I created a Plex...
  4. Computer lags and stutter when I open specific programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC is lagging when opening apps

PC is lagging when opening apps: I don’t know why and how it happened but my PC started lagging when I try to open apps. I went to the task manager to check what was going on and saw that the disk is completely full 100%....
  6. Windows 10 LAGS when I startup the windows and when I am open an program .

Windows 10 LAGS when I startup the windows and when I am open an program .: Mostly when I startup the Window 10 it lags and then starts working ok the again i move my mouse and it start laging again and when i open a program it lags terribly How can a Windows lag so much in the start ? After a good 12 -13 minutes it works good. But the lag is not...
  7. Windows lagging, not opening programs

Windows lagging, not opening programs: I was doing a project amd had many programs running but shut them down then opened a pdf in google chrome. I then went to open word and that's where the problems started. I tried clicking word but it wouldn't open in any way. I then had to power off my computer with my power...
  8. Lag in system when a program is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lag in system when a program is closed: After updating my system to 1803 Build 17134.48, I've noticed that the whatever program that the system is running sputters/freezes for couple of seconds whenever another program is closed. This includes dialog boxes, the Edge browser, the Start menu basically whatever is...
  9. Lag when opening programs/application

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lag when opening programs/application: Hi, i have a problem where windows lags whenever i open a newly installed or updated program/applications that are on another drive than my OS. This mostly happens when i download and install games through Steam(Cuz i do that very often), but it also happen to League of...
  10. 3-second lag when launching programs

in Windows 10 Support
    3-second lag when launching programs: UPDATE: Well, I suffered with this for a number of months, but the recent major update (2015/11/11) seems to have fixed it, so case closed. Hi, I'm an ex programmer and I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. I have a desktop with an Intel i5, and a Gigabyte motherboard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc lags when opening programs