Windows 10: laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

Discus and support laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop is laggy when selecting many icons using the mouse (Using the mouse right-click and then dragging the mouse over the icons with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mibaup, Nov 3, 2019.

1. mibaup Win User

laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

My laptop is laggy when selecting many icons using the mouse (Using the mouse right-click and then dragging the mouse over the icons with the blueish/transparent square). I am not sure it's hardware issue because the CPU is Intel i7-5500u.

Talking about that: (In that picture there are no icons, I just wanted to show what I mean by the blueish/transparent square)

laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons [​IMG]

:)

mibaup, Nov 3, 2019
  2. S WMARR Win User

Windows 10 desktop Icon resizing?

I found out how to resize desktop icons, see below ,

To change the desktop icons take the steps below:

· Right click on an empty area of the desktop

· Select ‘View’

From here we will have three options:

· Large Icons

· Medium Icons

· Classic Icons

When you select the options listed above the icons will change based on the size selected.

S WMARR, Nov 3, 2019
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Nov 3, 2019
  4. laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

1. laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons - Similar Threads - laggy desktop performance

2. laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons: My laptop is laggy when selecting many desktop icons (Using the mouse right-click and then dragging the mouse over the icons with the blueish/transparent square). I don't think it's hardware issue because the CPU is Intel i7-5500u. **What I mean by laggy is that while you...
  3. laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons: My laptop is laggy when selecting many desktop icons (Using the mouse right-click and then dragging the mouse over the icons with the blueish/transparent square). I don't think it's hardware issue because the CPU is Intel i7-5500u. **What I mean by laggy is that while you...
  4. Large Font on Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Large Font on Desktop Icons: Hi there, I can't get the fonts on the icons on my desktop to reduce in size, the icons are ok now but not the fonts. They are also too big in the menus on Outlook. I'm using a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. Have tried going into Settings, Display, Scale & Layout, no slider...
  5. Desktop Icon doesn't show as large

Desktop Icon doesn't show as large: I have a 64 and 96 px sized icon file (.ico) that refuses to show as a large icon on the desktop - they show up as medium icons in Large icon view. Any ideas why this is happening? 94577
  6. when is the desktop not the desktop

when is the desktop not the desktop: apparently when one moves the folder - which I did to the D drive by changing the Location. The desktop under THIS PC works fine. The one under Quick access does not. If I chg the location back to C drive it again works. Chg again to D and it does not work. Sounds like a...
  7. Remote desktop crashes when right click icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop crashes when right click icon on desktop: Hi friends i have 2 computers one is laptop and the other is desktop.Both are on windows 10 with genuine windows license and 100% updated. I am having a weird problem and it started recently. When connected to laptop via remote desktop, if i right click on any icon then the...
  8. Desktop icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop icon on desktop: Hi, A desktop icon suddenly appeared on my desktop.. If I delete it, the whole desktop is also deleted... The desktop folder on the drive, does not contain that icon. Does anyone has any experience with this scenario? *Smile 5511
  9. Desktop too large for screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop too large for screen: I've just bought a NUC PC and started setting it up as a Media PC. However, the desktop and any other screens are two wide and to high to fit in the monitor. The Monitor is my SAMSung TV. The Windows start icon is too far to the right, the bottom task bar only shows 50% of...
  10. Icons on Desktop move when saved

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on Desktop move when saved: Hi This might seem like a trivial problem compared to some of the others on this site, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix my icon problem. I have icons for certain files - word and excel, that I arrange in convenient places on the desktop. If I edit these then...