Windows 10: laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

Discus and support laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop is laggy when selecting many desktop icons (Using the mouse right-click and then dragging the mouse over the icons with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mibaup, Nov 3, 2019.

1. mibaup Win User

laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

My laptop is laggy when selecting many desktop icons (Using the mouse right-click and then dragging the mouse over the icons with the blueish/transparent square). I don't think it's hardware issue because the CPU is Intel i7-5500u.

**What I mean by laggy is that while you draw that square over the icons it gets slow until you finish selecting.

Talking about that: (In that picture there are no icons, I just wanted to show what I mean by the blueish/transparent square)

laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons [​IMG]

:)

mibaup, Nov 3, 2019
  2. S WMARR Win User

Windows 10 desktop Icon resizing?

I found out how to resize desktop icons, see below ,

To change the desktop icons take the steps below:

· Right click on an empty area of the desktop

· Select ‘View’

From here we will have three options:

· Large Icons

· Medium Icons

· Classic Icons

When you select the options listed above the icons will change based on the size selected.

S WMARR, Nov 3, 2019
  3. Desktop icons are too large at the 100% setting.

Hi Peter,

To help you with your concern, please try to do the following:

• Right click on the desktop and hover your mouse on View.
    • You'll see three options (Large icons, Medium icons, Small icons)
    • Select your preferred option.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jericho Lap, Nov 3, 2019
  4. laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

1. laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons - Similar Threads - laggy performance selecting

2. Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons": I don't know if this already been discussed. But please, everytime i select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons" on view option. Windows Explorer for some reason crash itself. Please, i really frustate now trying to fix this....
  3. Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons": I don't know if this already been discussed. But please, everytime i select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons" on view option. Windows Explorer for some reason crash itself. Please, i really frustate now trying to fix this....
  4. Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Desktop icons - Can't see when selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons - Can't see when selected: When I click on a Desktop icon, I can barely see the "highlighting" or whatever it's called to show that it's been selected. How can I make the highlight color darker? I'm probably using the wrong terms but I don't know what they're officially called. I would appreciate...
  6. Desktop icons on right side is laggy + Laggy highlight box

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons on right side is laggy + Laggy highlight box: Im having an issue where when i hover over desktop icons on the right side of my screen, it skips over a few in the middle where as this doesnt happen on the left side. Im also getting an issue where when i make a highlighted box and continue to move my mouse, the box just...
  7. OS laggy when minimizing large game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS laggy when minimizing large game: Hi, so I've been working hard lately to improve the performance of my PC. All these issues started occurring when I installed a Windows update awhile ago. The core problem is when I try minimizing a large game Fortnite my OS lags/freezes, sometimes it works fast, other times...
  8. laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laggy performance when selecting large number of desktop icons: My laptop is laggy when selecting many desktop icons (Using the mouse right-click and then dragging the mouse over the icons with the blueish/transparent square). I don't think it's hardware issue because the CPU is Intel i7-5500u. **What I mean by laggy is that while you...
  9. laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    laggy desktop performance when selecting large number of desktop icons: My laptop is laggy when selecting many icons using the mouse (Using the mouse right-click and then dragging the mouse over the icons with the blueish/transparent square). I am not sure it's hardware issue because the CPU is Intel i7-5500u. Talking about that: (In that...
  10. Large Font on Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Large Font on Desktop Icons: Hi there, I can't get the fonts on the icons on my desktop to reduce in size, the icons are ok now but not the fonts. They are also too big in the menus on Outlook. I'm using a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. Have tried going into Settings, Display, Scale & Layout, no slider...