Windows 10: LAN - 1 Gb/s on VM, 100 Mb/s on W10 HOST (HYPER -V)

Discus and support LAN - 1 Gb/s on VM, 100 Mb/s on W10 HOST (HYPER -V) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; HI there particularly @Kari as you are the resident expert on HYPER-V here !!!! HYPER -V have 2 physical identical INTEL NIC 1Gb/s Wired Lan... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

LAN - 1 Gb/s on VM, 100 Mb/s on W10 HOST (HYPER -V)

HI there

particularly @Kari as you are the resident expert on HYPER-V here !!!!

HYPER -V have 2 physical identical INTEL NIC 1Gb/s Wired Lan connectors -- VM gives me 1Gb/s, Windows Host only 100 Mb/s ???

Have switched NIC's and cables --same result.

Since I'm using the VM more I'm happy it's THIS way around (VM networking faster !!) rather than the other - would have thought HOST should have better LAN performance on wired LAN !!! but am confused as to why.

Have I hosed up the HYPER-V switch ??

Host --Windows 10 x-64 PRO

VM's 1) CENTOS 7
    2) UBUNTU 14

Note these VM's I ran individually same Network connection speed reported via LAN.

VM

LAN - 1 Gb/s on VM, 100 Mb/s on W10 HOST (HYPER -V) [​IMG]

W10 Host

LAN - 1 Gb/s on VM, 100 Mb/s on W10 HOST (HYPER -V) [​IMG]

I know it's OK as the hardware LED's on the Nic's indicates GREEN when LAN is 1Gb/s and Yellow for 100 Mb/s

Any ideas ???

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 17, 2016

2. Windows Fall Creators update

The answer was that I had installed Hyper-V, and even though I have no VM's running this was having effects on services I hadn't anticipated. I have temporarily disabled hyper-v and all the unexpected cpu useage has disappeared (2.5% now).

[BTW - not a criticism, having a VM-Host as a built in is great, not quite sure why it needs so much resource, but very useful for O/S experimentations.]

StuartCCTV, Oct 17, 2016
  3. Win 10 Virtual Machines

Win 10's VM client is IMHO better and it is called Hyper-v. You can of course create multiple Hyper-v machines after you upgrade.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 17, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Hyper-V virtual NICs emulate gigabit NICs. Of course, as this is only emulation, the real max speed for external traffic is then the max speed of the host physical NIC.

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Both physical NICs are 1 Gb/s - Yellow led indicates 100 Mb/s, Green Led indicates 1 Gb/s
    Am using separate Nics on VM and HOST.

Linux driver using physical Driver for the Nic (Nic 1). Windows using physical driver for Nic 2.

Intel normally has the most reliable and installable Nic drivers !!!!!. Wifi is another issue but I'm not using that on this machine at all.

Running Linux on HOST machine BOTH Leds are Green (indicating 1 Gb/s)

Native Windows on Host without HYPER-V -- still indicates Yellow Led (100 Gb/s). I physically carried server to Router and attached small piece of LAN (0.5 metre) directly to Router. -- Router indicates 1 Gb/s while LED on Nic adapter was only 100 Mb/s so definitely something wrong with driver / hardware compatibility. I tried BOTH NIC's (2 physical NIC's on Host) - same result so it's not just 1 NIC being defective.

I think it must be a HOST driver issue -- am looking further. !!

Thanks for the info.

Curious -- 99% of my problems on Windows seem to be with Networking in one area or another !!!!!.

I tried restoring both a W7 image and XP image individually (to HOST machine) - Lan adapter Led immediately switched to GREEN at 1 Gb/s for BOTH OS'es so definitely W10 doesn't like my driver or there's some hidden / obscure settings I need to change.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 18, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Kari

Found the problem !!!!

I had some leftover stuff from VMWARE workstation release 12.5 (some virtual nic service which was still running at startup).

Totally removed and now both NIC's at 1Gb/s (green Leds).

Funny though because this didn't happen after I'd uninstalled previous release of Vmware workstation 12.1 to run HYPER-V.

Obviously something with both VMware workstation and latest Windows updates -- still I'd have thought vmware should have a better uninstall.

I'm happy with HYPER-V and networking works properly now on both HOST and HYPER-V.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 18, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    As an avid Hyper-V fan I am happy to notice you have found Hyper-V *Smile. I remember you having some reservations earlier.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. LAN - 1 Gb/s on VM, 100 Mb/s on W10 HOST (HYPER -V) - Similar Threads - LAN 100 W10

2. HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host: Hi folks particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!! I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I was wondering would es RDP from the host to the VM enable me to get sensible resolution on the vm - Needs a bit of fiddling on...
  3. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  4. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  5. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  6. HYPER-V won't install properly on W10 HOST

HYPER-V won't install properly on W10 HOST: Hi there I can't install HYPER-V properly on a W10 HOST -- gets message about something in BIOS not enabled. Installs fine on W8.1 . On W10 the boxes are greyed out. Cheers jimbo 2284
  7. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...
  8. HYPER-V Exclusive mode -- stop Host messages appearing on VM

HYPER-V Exclusive mode -- stop Host messages appearing on VM: Hi there Is it possible to stop messages from the HOST being sent to the VM when using HYPER-V and VM on same LOCAL machine -- i.e possible to "emulate" VMWARE's "Exclusive mode" where a user can be prevented from switching out of full screen and back to Host system. User...
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. Quirk Logging in to a Hyper-v W10 vm

Quirk Logging in to a Hyper-v W10 vm: tiptoed into hyper-v before but this lasted build I find myself having to enter the guest login password twice. Windows guest password is entered on a seaside background it then switches to a mountainscape background asking for the password again. Any ideas how I can fix...