Windows 10: LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user

Discus and support LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everybody, I need to set permission on a shared folder on a remote computer on my network. In the said action, I need to add a local user of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by amomen, Oct 9, 2019.

1. amomen Win User

LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user

Hello everybody,

I need to set permission on a shared folder on a remote computer on my network. In the said action, I need to add a local user of that computer to the user list. I know that computer's local users' names but cannot add them. Looks like I don't have permission from that computer to fetch users list to do so. How can I do that? I appreciate your help!

Thanks

:)

amomen, Oct 9, 2019
  2. AndreTen Win User

How to share folders with a specific user on another computer

Desktop is protected folder (anti Ransomware in Windows defender).

Try make a share somewhere else...

Edit: tried here and I have no problem to write on another computer's Desktop.

When sharing folder on first cumputer (in advanced mode), did you follow all the steps? - add user / find / ...

And finally add User (your username - hope it is with administrator rights) that is the same on both computers.

LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user [​IMG]

And then follow the steps below:

LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user [​IMG]

AndreTen, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Mervil Win User

Thank you for all the help so far.
    Here is an update to my issue. It looks like I got basic sharing working again. The issue seems to have been Security permissions. I needed to enable security permissions for the shared folders, in addition to sharing them, to get the folders to share correctly.
    So, for the time being, I can give the Everyone user group access to folders. I can limit Everyone's access to read-only, or give full control. This works for any folder on any of my computers.

However, my initial issue--sharing with a specific user--is not working still. Though I have granted "Brendon" full control permissions via Sharing and Security, it is still only granted read-only access (most likely via the fact that the folder is shared with Everyone with read-only access). The sharing permissions and security privileges granted to the "Brendon" account does seem to be specific to the "Brendon" user account on the Desktop, as it is listed as "\\-PC\Brendon", and I can't specify it to share with "\\-LAPTOP\Brendon".
    Any ideas at this point on how to make sure that the "Brendon" user on my Laptop can get full control access to my E:\Music folder on my Desktop without mapping a drive? (though I suppose I might just have to do that). Are my user accounts set up incorrectly? Is there a certain setting in Sharing or Security that I need to adjust?

Mervil, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Mervil Win User

I'm not trying to share the desktop folder. I'm trying to share my music folder on my E: drive on my Desktop PC.
    Yes, I did all the steps in that tutorial. Ive done all the steps in ALL the tutorials (other than removing share access) to try to get this to happen.

Let's take a step back. If the Everyone share doesn't even work, I'm not certain the specific user share will work.
    You mention administration rights. Well, I have both of my user accounts (the one on my Desktop PC and the one on my Laptop) set up as administrators.
    However, every time I try to edit certain files or folders on my computer, Windows tells me I need administrator permssions. Sometimes I get the error message: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder."
    Usually, I can just hit continue, and it works. This was the case on my Music folder and files. If I tried to edit a file name for example, it told me I needed administrator permissions, but I just hit "Continue" and it worked. I got fed up with this, and Googled how to fix it. Basically, I "took ownership" of the Music folder via the folder properties > Security tab > Advanced options.

I feel like I'm missing something, or something is wrong with Windows 10 settings or my account settings.
    I granted "Everyone" full control/access to my Music folder, yet I cannot edit or write to that folder, only read. Something is clearly wrong. Any ideas where to start looking?

Mervil, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

1. LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user - Similar Threads - LAN computer set

2. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set permission in shared folder: Hi pls.I have trouble with set permisiion in the home directory. Home directory is shared folder in Windows 2019 server. I am user with full access to directory. I can create folder, but if I try set permission, the explorer return error Cannot enumerate object in container ,...
  3. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    set permission in shared folder: Hi pls.I have trouble with set permisiion in the home directory. Home directory is shared folder in Windows 2019 server. I am user with full access to directory. I can create folder, but if I try set permission, the explorer return error Cannot enumerate object in container ,...
  4. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shared folder permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared folder permissions: Hi,I use a laptop with a Microsoft Account like *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and so does a friend of mine. I have a local folder folder that I wish to share and give him modify permission we both use to use the same local network. When wanting to add him to...
  6. How to share folder to specific user on specific PC on the network

How to share folder to specific user on specific PC on the network: Hello, I have 3 PCs running Windows 10 (Home) and one of them is sharing a folder to the others. I shared the folder using Right click on the folder > Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Share this folder > Permissions > Everyone > Change (Or Full Access, depends what I...
  7. Share Folder Permission

Share Folder Permission: Hi, Here is my scenario. I used one of my computers to act as the main server with a shared folder available "everyone". I did connect 2 more work stations with the Administration account and I was able to map the shared folder easily. however, my company required to add...
  8. Sharing Folders with a specific User on Private Network

Sharing Folders with a specific User on Private Network: I need help in adding a specific user to the sharing of folders. The user is on my WIFI network on another Win 10 Home PC. My wife's PC is \\XPS8500\Bonnie but when I try adding it, it is not accepted. Can you help me figure out how to add her as a sharing partner on my...
  9. How to share folders with a specific user on another computer

How to share folders with a specific user on another computer: I've gone through the tutorials here on how to set up share folders. Very useful. I've done a fair bit of google searching as well. There does not seem to be an answer to my question. I have some folders on my desktop PC that I have shared on my network using the "Everyone"...
  10. "Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers

"Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers: I've got a LAN in my home/office with 5 machines now running Win 10 and I've not been able to transfer files between them due to "permission problems". These were all running Win 7 and sharing files with no problems but now I'm blocked. I've made every "advanced" change I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to share Folder with another Computer in LAN Network Computer Sharing