Windows 10: LAN connected (not shared) printer does not see Windows 10 desktop

Discus and support LAN connected (not shared) printer does not see Windows 10 desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi - I'm finally giving up and asking for help. My networking knowledge consists of some networking for end users and basic business networks.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaveW10, Dec 12, 2016.

1. DaveW10 Win User

LAN connected (not shared) printer does not see Windows 10 desktop

Hi - I'm finally giving up and asking for help. My networking knowledge consists of some networking for end users and basic business networks.

Computer: HP desktop, (LAN) Intel 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection, (WiFi) Qualcomm Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wireless Network Module.

Router: TP-Link WR841N v9, Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30880 std (11/14/16).

Printer: Canon MF4570dn connected to router by LAN

Problem description: The printer only sees the desktop (and will only work/interface) if the desktop's WiFi is enable/connected. If the WiFi is disabled and I am only using a wired LAN connection (to the router from the desktop), then the printer does not see the desktop. It doesn't matter if the printer is set to use "Auto IP" or if I use a static IP address - the symptoms are the same. It appears to be something related to the router as the previous routers (Netgear AC1700 and Airlink 101) did not have any problems. I have not had to change the network settings on the printer since for years.

I have been researching for a couple of months, but my phrasing of the searches always come up with "network printers" and the printer is not set up and has never been set up as a network printer.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. If more information is needed I will provide it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

:)

DaveW10, Dec 12, 2016

2. Win10 laptop cant get access to printer on Win 8 PC.

I have two USB laser printers (Brother & Canon) installed & connected to a Win 8.1 TV stick which I want to use as a printer server to make the printers network discoverable. The reason I'm doing this is there doesn't seem to be any 2 port USB printer network
    adapters out there which will do the job and this TV sick is more than capable to be used just for this and is low cost as well.

The Intel based Windows TV stick is connected to my router by Wi-Fi and a wired lan cable using a 3 port USB hub with ethernet lan connected to the USB port on the TV stick. The printers on the TV stick print OK directly as local printers and the TV stick
    is connected to my homegroup network. Printers are shared.

Also on my router (through a switch) my desktop Win 8.1 PC connects to both these 'networked' USB printers on the TV stick and were discoverable for set up. They work fine for either a test print or normal print.

Also on my router is a legacy Win 7 desktop PC which also had no problem adding these printers to, nor printing to.

However, my Win 10 laptop connected to the router by wi-fi &/or wired lan despite seeing the TV stick on the network (along with all other PC's or network devices) it cannot see these USB printers connected to the TV stick and obviously it wont connect or
    print to them. ALL computers share the same homegroup with the same password.

I have tried all available options to try and add either of these pseudo 'network' printers (via the TV stick) to the Win10 laptop printer but to no avail and it should also be pointed out that a genuine network printer a wi-fi HP5520 does work on this Win
    10 laptop.

That is the set up now here is the question - Why is it ONLY Win 10 that refuses to discover and add these 2 usb network printers when a Win 8.1 PC or Win 7 or Win 8.1 works fine ?

Mike_Spain, Dec 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10 losing access to network drives

Here is my network Architecture. Router is a Linksys EA6900 with Trendnet Gigabit switch connected to one LAN port, Desktop PC connected to another LAN port, another device connected to LAN port, Cisco cable modem connected to WAN port. Connected to the
    switch are two NAS boxes, HP printer, netbook with Ubuntu OS. Also have two laptops connected to router wirelessly one Windows 7 Home the other Windows 10 Home both 64 bit an Xbox One and a Smart TV. Desktop PC is also running Windows 10 Home 64 bit as I stated
    in the original post to this thread. All of the drive mapping that I've done has been through File Explorer under the This PC button not the Network button.

Since I've started using the \\IP address\share name method I have not had a problem with W10 seeing the NAS drives under This PC.

Slightly off topic from original thread but still applicable I believe, is this. When I select the Network button in File Manager on the desktop machine, I see my TV (multiple times) the printer, my W10 laptop if running and nothing else. I don't see the
    desktop PC as being a member of the network and I don't see the NAS boxes as part of the network.

On the W10 laptop when I select the network button in file manager, I see the router, both NAS boxes the laptop itself but not the desktop PC or the TV.

Neither machine apparently sees anything attached to the routers LAN ports nor the cable modem.

Router management page shows all connected devices both on and offline.

Are there settings that I'm missing that would allow both machines to see all network attached devices?

Robert Sullian, Dec 12, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Dec 12, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    Sorry but that printer probably is on a LAN/Local Area Network connection. The parts of a Network consist of a computer, a Router or Switch and a printer or other device. I have 2 printers connected by Ethernet cable to an 8-port Switch which is connected to a 4-port Router. I have 4 computers connected to the Router/Switch units along with 2 NAS drives, all using Ethernet cable. Then I have anywhere from 2 to 4 or 5 Notebooks connected to the Router via Wi-Fi for both Internet access and print use. I use Windows, Linux and macOS computers and any can print if I install suitable software and all can Map and access the NAS drives. All this is the LAN or internal Network, going out onto the Internet [Router outbound] is known as the WAN/Wide Area Network. Installing the software from disc or download gives the choice of Network, USB or Wi-Fi, even Wireless Direct. One printer is an HP Officejet and the other is an HP Laserjet.

Berton, Dec 12, 2016
  6. DaveW10 Win User
    Hi
    The printer is seen by the router and wireless devices (Android tablet, Android smartphone) can print. The desktop can print and the scanner can see the HP if I am scanning using the printer's buttons BUT only if the HP has the WiFi enabled and connected.

Yes, the printer is on a Local Area Network connection.

DaveW10, Dec 12, 2016
  7. DaveW10 Win User
    Sorry, I meant to say that it has not been set up as a 'shared' printer.

DaveW10, Dec 12, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

I didn't have to Share the printers, they are for all intent and purpose stand-alone printers meaning any particular computer does not have to be running for other computers to use the printers. The NAS drives make things simple for storing data which allows any computer to access it whether Windows, Linux or Mac OS X/macOS.

Berton, Dec 12, 2016
  9. DaveW10 Win User
    Update: Tried an Asus RT-N12/D1 N300 router. And it worked correctly. No changes to printer's network settings.
    Reflashed the firmware on the TP-Link router back to the factory firmware and it is working normally. It appears there is a problem with the DD-WRT firmware (or a setting that is incorrect). I will mark as solved.
    Thanks for the quick responses!

DaveW10, Dec 12, 2016
  10. DaveW10 Win User
    Solution found!
    The problem was with the router (firmware?). After completing the following the issue is resolved:
    1) log in to your router IP. "192.168.1.---"
    2) on DD-WRT GUI, select ADMINISTRATION
    3) select COMMANDS
    4) in commands box enter the following code (make sure there are no spaces at the end):
    swconfig dev eth0 set enable_vlan 1
    swconfig dev eth0 set apply

5) below the box click RUN COMMAND
    6) If this runs without error, then lastly click SAVE TO STARTUP.

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

DaveW10, Dec 29, 2016
  11. It's been a little over a year, but I'm wondering if DaveW10 would explain his post above in manual steps? I used your solution and would like to be able to configure same manually instead of a startup command every time. Thanks for the fix!

I had a similar problem, posted it on the HP support forum, then used your solution & posted it there:

Wired M451dn won't connect to setup software; Airprint OK, downloaded & installed online firmware OK

Options

‎02-23-2018 11:13 PM
    Product Name: LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP basic printer drivers can't find my wired LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451dn. It's got it's correct IP address, shows up on my DD-WRT router (TP-Link TL-841N) as active, and DHCP client (has static DHCP reservation). LaserJet's Airprint is working OK, even downloaded & installed online firmware through printer menu & LAN no problem. Computer is online fine, as is printer; they just can't see each other when installing drivers.

Used auto-search, IP address, MAC address, host name: no dice.
    Uninstalled drivers & updated firmware, then tried drivers install again: no dice.
    Shut off every device: cable modem, router, switch, computer, printer: no dice.
    Changed ethernet port from switch to router: no dice.
    Wiggled all ethernet cables: no dice.
    Installed print & scan doctor: no dice.
    Running Norton Internet Security, disabled firewall: no dice.

All OS software updated & current.

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard
    Intel Core i7 4790K CPU (OC 4.6 GHz)
    16GB RAM
    Using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    (Triple-boots 64-bit versions: Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview.)

driver: v. 15.0.15188.1840 10-27-2015, file: LJM351_M451_Series-15188-drv_installer

Help a brutha

airspeed400, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. LAN connected (not shared) printer does not see Windows 10 desktop - Similar Threads - LAN connected shared

2. Share WiFi connection to LAN AcessPoint

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share WiFi connection to LAN AcessPoint: I want to share my internet connection I receive via WiFi with my access point, which is connected to my PC via LAN. When trying to share my connection via "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections"-Properties-Sharing-Allow other network users to connect through...
  3. no printer sharing in lan windows10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no printer sharing in lan windows10: i am using 3 windows 10 pro machines in home. two printers are attached to a system and both are shared. all 3 systems are connected via wifi internet router. adding network printers is impossible, tried many fixes including registry edits, nothing works. wiped and...
  4. no printer sharing in lan windows10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no printer sharing in lan windows10: i am using 3 windows 10 pro machines in home. two printers are attached to a system and both are shared. all 3 systems are connected via wifi internet router. adding network printers is impossible, tried many fixes including registry edits, nothing works. wiped and...
  5. no printer sharing in lan windows10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Sharing Problem: Desktop sees Laptop, but Laptop does not see Desktop

Sharing Problem: Desktop sees Laptop, but Laptop does not see Desktop: I have desktop and laptop on same workgroup and same router. Desktop is ethernet cable attached, laptop via wifi. Both systems are at the same level of Windows 10 Pro X64 - 20H2 19042 Shares were created via "Give Access" in file explorer. The desktop sees the laptop and its...
  7. How To See/Use A Printer Across the LAN?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To See/Use A Printer Across the LAN?: Build 1903 18362.1016 I have an HP laserjet wired into a computer on the Lan here by usb wire. It is a pretty old office type - a 3015. I'd like to access that printer from another computer on the Lan. Went to HP for help but didn't get any yet. Tried a few googled sites...
  8. Internet Connection Sharing works but the shared NIC can't see LAN nor LAN can't see the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet Connection Sharing works but the shared NIC can't see LAN nor LAN can't see the...: Windows 10 Home Hi, My PC has Wireless connection to the Internet and LAN thru a router, and it has 2 Ethernet that are free. I connect my NAS to an Ethernet port on my PC and and I share the internet connection with the Ethernet 2, then I can connect from my PC to the NAS...
  9. share printer connected other PC on LAN

share printer connected other PC on LAN: My office LAN is p-p LAN, every time i want to use the printer connected other PC on LAN, i must enter credentials to connect, how to disable it? Both 2 PCs are Winows 10 Pro, turned off password protected sharing and turned on file and printer sharing. I greatly appreciate...
  10. Win10 does not see USB Printer connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 does not see USB Printer connection: HP 1512 all in one printer only has a usb connection (not wireless) It was connected and worked in Win 7 but would not work in Win 10. Win 10 does not recognize the connection during installation. I followed the directions in the printer help, disconnected and...