Windows 10: Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10

Discus and support Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Question... so I have everything selected as my home being Canada, Format: Canada, Language Canada... everything English (Canada)... its also set as my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by balubeto, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Kari Win User

Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10

Officially Windows 10 only knows two versions of English, the so called English International (also known as UK English) and English (also known as US English). This screenshot from the download site:

Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 [​IMG]

In your case it seems that you have installed the English International version. If you want to change it to US English you can download and install the English (US) language pack, to get words like Colour and Personalisation in settings to be Color and Personalization instead; the only difference between these two English versions is the spelling of a few words and the defaults in time / regional settings (US English uses imperial measurements, Fahrenheit & 12 hour clock by default instead of metric, Celsius and 24 hour clock which are defaults in UK English version).

As all defaults can be changed by the user, the only difference that remains is the spelling. That can't be changed, Settings app for instance in US English version will always say Personalization where the UK English says Personalisation.

The above put very short: it's not a big deal *Smile

2. Mpmh Win User

I'm guessing you have everything set up as Canadian, except display language.

You mentioned:
    Location (where you are)
    format (the way numbers are written, currency, dates, etc)
    input language (spell check)
    keyboard layout (so keys actually type what is written on them)

and then there's also Display Language, the text in menus and windows.
    You can set this one by going to:
    - Control Panel (type "control" in start menu to find it, or use the search on the taskbar)
    - Clock, Language, and Region
    - Language
    - Advanced Settings (left side menu)

Here you see a dropdown at the top that sets the Display Language. You might want to force it to Canadian. Also click the blue text below it to: "Apply language settings to the welcome screen, system accounts, and new user accounts".

Click Save at the bottom of the window. (I'm not sure, but a reboot might be necessary to apply changes)

3. Mpmh Win User
    When I add a new language I can pick English (Canada) from the list. It notifies me the Windows Display Language is available for download. Unless this ends up still being the English US display language, it does seem to be available!

4. Kari Win User

I meant that as install languages you can only choose between English and English International. Later on you can donwload and install various English language packs, but for installation only the two major versions are available.

5. Mpmh Win User
    Oh I understand now, haha

So Yes, it is normal.
    And Yes it can be resolved, by changing the settings afterwards. Just follow the steps I posted above if you really want it changed.

6. Maestro Win User
    So if I understood correctly... there is no display language for English (Canada) it's either US or United Kingdoms?
    These are my current settings

Maestro, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    Your last screenshot is a bit confusing; as far as I know and can see, there is no English (Canada) language pack available. You can only download speech engine and handwriting recognition for English (Canada) but not Display Language (language pack).

8. Maestro Win User

Sorry for shattering your beliefs *Smile

Maestro, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    No, you didn't shatter them: I know that a Canadian language pack is not available, that your de facto display language is either UK or US English, whatever your settings say.

10. Maestro Win User
    If you go add language pack and select english it's listed there....

Maestro, Aug 28, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    I am using Build 10525 which has no language pack for Canadian English. My apologies that I did not check other builds first.

I have now checked and can confirm that a Canadian English language pack is available in RTM build 10240 and again in build 10532 but it is not available for build 10525.

Compare the screenshots, first from build 10525, no language pack:

Then build 10532, language pack available:

12. Maestro Win User
    I probably shouldn't really worry about it... it just seems weird that Canada doesn't have a display language... or at least one thats working...

Maestro, Aug 28, 2015
  13. dekho Win User

Hi everyone,

I upgraded win7 to win10 and found out, that highly useful option "different input language for each thread" (quoting "Switching to a different input language is done on a per-thread basis; you can have two different input languages in two different applications" from Input Language, Keyboards and IMEs ) is missing from Win10.

Either they have put it somewhere deep in the Options, or they just completely missed it out, but for a person which has a multi-lingual work (in 5 languages) this lack of feature is highly disturbing - for example, I need English layout in IDE, French or Russian in Browser, Belarusian in Skype, etc.

So, the question - did anybody notice anything about this feature? Is it just unlucky me so I can't find it, or the problem is really there?

dekho, Sep 4, 2015
  14. lfxlfs Win User
    hey ,what have u done to solve this problem?I'm facing with the same problem in win10 pro 10565 my PC can't install chinese language package Could u give me some advise?Thx : )

lfxlfs, Oct 12, 2015
  15. tfwul Win User
    I hope, one day, Microsoft will drop this silly 1 language only license. They should sell their products without any limitations to a specific language, i.e. they key should be valid for the PROGRAM only, not the program+language. At the point of installing users should be able select they they wish to install.

A genuine English version is different from e.g. a German version with an English language pack, specifically in the event log messages.

If all the different languages don't fit, then allow users to create a new usb/dvd (media creation tool) and select the language there.

=

tfwul, Nov 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Language Add Remove

2. Windows 10 adds languages by itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 adds languages by itself: Hello, I have been experiencing this bug for years now where I want to use just two languages with specific keyboard layout -> Slovak QWERTY default for Slovak is QWERTZ but I'm too used to QWERTY and I don't really see a point switching between different layouts since i use...
  3. Language Keyboard, cant add, cant remove

Language Keyboard, cant add, cant remove: Hi gurus not sure where went wrong. but language bar is missing. and keyboard layout is not able to add or remove. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-keyboard-cant-add-cant-remove/f21a4df6-862c-4fb9-bbe3-8de2329d553b
  4. Add an input language in Windows 10

Add an input language in Windows 10: my laptop has only one language to use(English)… how to install another language to write with. thank you. * Moved from msn ***Original Title: how to add another language to my pc***...
  5. Add keyboard language that can change only in language bar.

Add keyboard language that can change only in language bar.: Hi, Currently, I use English and Thai keyboard as the main language and switch between it with a grave accent. I'd like to add a Chinese keyboard, but not interfere with my grave accent button, because I use it much less. Is there any way to set it to appear in the...
  6. I cannot add, change or remove languages

I cannot add, change or remove languages: [ATTACH]A few days ago I added Japanese and it took over my OS. The other language (Italian), no matter how many times I select it, is switched back in second place as soon as I close or change the tab. I've also tried to add English and then change back to Italian, but when...
  7. Windows 10 Can't change interface Language/Add a new language keyboard.

Windows 10 Can't change interface Language/Add a new language keyboard.: Hello. I've got this problem where I can't change my interface language or add a new language keyboard too, this all happened when I added the Russian Keyboard and forgot to Untick the " Set as interface language " box. It changed to Russian and can't switch back to English...
  8. Remove a Language in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove a Language in Windows 10: How to: Remove a Language in Windows 10 How to Remove a Language in Windows 10 In Windows 10, you can keyboard layout. This tutorial will show you how to completely uninstall a language for your account in Windows 10. Here's How: 1. Open Settings, and...
  9. Add a Language in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add a Language in Windows 10: How to: Add a Language in Windows 10 How to Add a Language in Windows 10 In Windows 10, you can add different languages to install and use for the keyboard layout. See also: Language packs | Windows Support This tutorial will show you how to add a language to use...
  10. Windows 10 adds keyboard language as System Language

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 adds keyboard language as System Language: Hello, I have this issue... the system language is set to French, the region is set to France. The Keyboard layout is german (i have a german keyboard). The German language is automatically added to the Language Bar. [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] Thank you 65361