Windows 10: Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10

Discus and support Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; From the command prompt, how do I set the default language of the interface? Thanks Bye 3813 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by balubeto, Jun 29, 2015.

1. balubeto Win User

Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10

From the command prompt, how do I set the default language of the interface?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Jun 29, 2015
  2. Shenan Stanley, Jun 29, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 29, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

5. Rafael Win User
    Hello all,

I'm having trouble installing the English language pack on my laptop.
    I live in Brazil and my computer's base language is Portuguese. I was running 8.1 in English but after updating to Windows 10, it only allows me to use the Portuguese display language. I followed the steps on here, downloaded the language pack, but keep running into the same problem. Windows tells me that "Only one language pack is allowed". I've set my region to the United States, set English as my default language, but still cannot set it as my display.

Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 [​IMG]

I went into my advanced language options and tried to do it through there, but got the same error message. "English is not available as a display language in this version of Windows". I have no idea why, since everybody seems to be able to install it just fine.

Finally, I gave in and tried to install the MUI Language Pack manually. I still ran into the same problem, telling me that "This language cannot be installed". I'm running Windows 10 Home so I figure that I should be able to get this working, but can't figure out what's causing the problem.

Can somebody help me out? I really want to fix this.

Thank you in advance!

Rafael, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Rafael Win User
    Hello again,

I just noticed I'm running Windows 10 Home Single Language.

Is there any way I can change the language or will I have to reinstall in English?

Rafael, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Hi, can I ask how did you find out that you were running Home Single Language?

cappuccino, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

The only way to get it in English is to reinstall using an English install media, or any other full language version and then install English language pack. A Single Language version cannot be upgraded to multilingual version.

9. Rafael Win User
    Cappucino, if you look at your PC´s information, it'll show you all your specs and what version of Windows you're running.

Kari, do you know where I can get an English install media? Do I have to buy a new version of Windows or will I be able to reinstall without a problem?

Rafael, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    Check this tutorial: Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

I am not sure if you can activate a normal full Windows 10 if your license is Single Language.

11. Paulr Win User
    Thanks for all the effort you have put into this topic, Kari. Very much appreciated.
    My interest is the Myanmar (Burmese) keyboard and language, but in particular, some of the characters in that set (U1000 to U109F) yet missing from the keyboard.
    Can a keyboard be modified? ie. how can I access codepoints 1060 to 1069?
    I'm sure there would be a lot of people wanting to use their unique dialect and facing a similar problem
    cheers

Paulr, Aug 8, 2015
  12. Hi there, Rafael.
    I have exactly the same problem, although my Win8.1 was originally in German, and well... my German is veeery poor.
    Did you manage to solve this issue?

Any help/tip will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Heferstion, Aug 11, 2015
  13. mertzi Win User

I have tried everything but EVERY time I reboot "SWE" pops backup in the system tray. I installed windows 10 from a US english iso and set my input to swedish, which I want. But everything else I want in English. I might be anal but this annoys me as hell. Windows is shown in English and everything is how I want it, except that this annoying language switcher in the system tray comes back every time I reboot despite Swedish being removed. I have tried bringing swedish back and remove it, then SWE disappears. But then I reboot and voila, it's back!

Edit: I found the cause. I used RDP from a Windows 7 PC and for some reasons the language preferences overruled the ones on the remote PC with windows 10.

mertzi, Aug 11, 2015
  14. Mpmh Win User
    I am having a similar problem here, however I don't use RDP to connect to this computer.

What happens/happened for me:
    I installed Windows 10 education from scratch, after having formatted my harddrive with windows 7 on it.
    The ISO I downloaded with the media creation tool from the Microsoft website, it seems to be a multilanguage ISO.
    I installed using English as display language, but set Dutch as my input language, as I'm from the Netherlands. In the Netherlands we use US keyboards, but for convenience reasons I usually set the keyboard to US International.

So to reiterate:
    Display: English
    Input: Dutch
    Keyboard: US International

This has worked fine on Windows 7 before, and because I only had one option for every setting, the Language button on the taskbar was hidden. I couldn't switch anyways.
    Now in Windows 10 however, it keeps offering me new settings I didn't ask for all the time. I am not sure if this happens after rebooting though.

First the language switch button showed up because it suddenly offered me both Dutch and English as an input language, both with the US International keyboard. I went to check whether it had installed any new language settings, but when I got to the Language settings, there still was only the one option I did set up myself. I added a secondary option, namely English as input language, with US international keyboard, then moved the new option up in the list, and removed the Dutch input / US Int keyb combination.

For a while this went well. The language selector disappeared from the taskbar. After some time I noticed the button returned though, this time with yet another change: It suddenly offered English twice, but the difference being one with US international, and one with US keyboard. Again I checked the settings in the Language section through the control panel, and again the new option was not visible in the list.

This all happened in the 2 days I'm using Windows 10 on this computer by the way.

My question is where is this coming from? Why does windows 10 not just stick to what I tell it to do? And why are the new options it keeps pushing to me not even visible in the settings? Right now I have to add new languages to be able to remove anything, because only one set is on my list at a time, even though the language selection button on the taskbar would suggest otherwise!

[edit]
    It would seem the updates KB3081448 / 449 / 451 that got installed this week fixed my problem (I believe the OOBE improvement one, it said something about language packs.)
    [/edit]

15. Maestro Win User
    Question... so I have everything selected as my home being Canada, Format: Canada, Language Canada... everything English (Canada)... its also set as my default display language... however when I check... it says my display language is English (United Kingdoms) is this normal?

Maestro, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Language Add Remove

2. Add a new language to Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add a new language to Windows: Hi all, I'm using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 and I'm trying to create a keyboard for my language, the Venetan (spoken in the Veneto region of Italy). Unfortunately I have no way to choose the language Venetan because it does not exist, and choosing the Italian and...
  3. Language Removing

Language Removing: Hi, I had a problem with removing US keyboard from my windows 10. one of the solutions said " add another US keyboard like Canada the remove United state keyboard then remove Canada" I did it and it works with me till I restart my Computer, now I have 3 English keyboards "...
  4. add new language

add new language: Hello i'm bilingual and i would like to add a new language to my keyboard not only English it is possible ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-new-language/ef988f1f-8461-4a3d-89de-de3734b81d33
  5. Windows automatically adds new languages

Windows automatically adds new languages: Every time, after I play any game, Windows automatically adds EN-US and EN-UK languages. But when I open language settings, I don't see those new languages, I only see those, that I added by myself, so in order to get rid of new ones, I have to add them manually and then...
  6. I cannot add, change or remove languages

I cannot add, change or remove languages: [ATTACH]A few days ago I added Japanese and it took over my OS. The other language (Italian), no matter how many times I select it, is switched back in second place as soon as I close or change the tab. I've also tried to add English and then change back to Italian, but when...
  7. Windows 10 Can't change interface Language/Add a new language keyboard.

Windows 10 Can't change interface Language/Add a new language keyboard.: Hello. I've got this problem where I can't change my interface language or add a new language keyboard too, this all happened when I added the Russian Keyboard and forgot to Untick the " Set as interface language " box. It changed to Russian and can't switch back to English...
  8. Remove a Language from Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Remove a Language from Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows has supported multiple languages from the start. Now, it even lets you have multiple languages installed on your PC. You can use one for display, while other can be used to type, and so on. That said, Windows 10 [...] This post Fix: Cannot remove a Language...
  9. Windows 10 adds keyboard language as System Language

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 adds keyboard language as System Language: Hello, I have this issue... the system language is set to French, the region is set to France. The Keyboard layout is german (i have a german keyboard). The German language is automatically added to the Language Bar. [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] Thank you 65361
  10. Add, Change, and Remove File Property Details in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add, Change, and Remove File Property Details in Windows 10: I forgot that I could modify some of the detail on certain files. I'm going to start doing this on my video and music files 93210