Windows 10: Language Hotkeys Don't Work

Discus and support Language Hotkeys Don't Work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a friend who is bilingual who is trying to get the Korean language working properly on their computer, and asked me for advice. Before I helped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Skribs, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Skribs Win User

Language Hotkeys Don't Work

I have a friend who is bilingual who is trying to get the Korean language working properly on their computer, and asked me for advice. Before I helped them on theirs, I decided to install it on my computer to make sure I knew how language packs work. I installed the language pack fine, but whenever I use a hotkey, it says it changed from English to Korean on my screen, but I can only type in English.

I know the language pack worked, because I can go into individual applications, change the default language to Korean, and restart the application - at which point it works fine in Korean. If I use the hotkey to swap languages, it tells me it's in English, but I can only type in Korean. Same problem, the default language is the only one that works. In talking with my friend, it sounds like this is the same issue they're having.

My friend uses their computer for multiple things, some of which cater more to English-speaking people and some which cater more to Korean-speaking people, and they want to be able to swap back and forth. Other people who use the computer are multilingual and want to access even more languages. How can I make it work in Windows 10 that when I turn on the Korean keyboard, it types in Korean, without having to change default settings in the application I'm using and restart the application?

:)

Skribs, Sep 29, 2016
  2. ggabunia Win User

Language Hotkeys Keep resetting

I keep re-assigning and it keeps changing. I don't know what triggers it, but every once in a while I try to change the language with hotkeys and it doesn't work anymore.

ggabunia, Sep 29, 2016
  3. axael Win User
    Change language bar hotkeys in windows 10

I am happy to say, that Windows10 now has the gool old

Control Panel\Clock, Language and Region\Language\Advanced settings\Change Language Bar hotkeys where you can set the hotkeys for each Keyboard Layout separately.

Unfortunately setting a hotkey for a layout, build with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator does not work.

The hotkey have no effect - but this is an other bug

axael, Sep 29, 2016
  4. Skribs Win User

I know multiple people affected by this issue, so I can't be the only one whose run into it.

Skribs, Oct 1, 2016
  5. xtiankoe Win User
    I searched a bit to find the KB article I was just reading awhile back but cannot find it. But basically what I think happened is you installed the language pack after one of MS's updates (maybe even the anniversary update? hope not because this will be the first of many issues then...) and the KB stated you must re-run the update after installing any additional language packs. I know this may not help much but may help just enough.

xtiankoe, Oct 1, 2016
  6. Skribs Win User
    I do have the anniversary update. However, it looks like all my installed updates are newer than it, so I don't know which one to uninstall and reinstall.

I added the language pack very recently, so any updates I have would have been installed before then.

Skribs, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Language Hotkeys Don't Work - Similar Threads - Language Hotkeys Don't

2. Command Prompt, standard Hotkeys don't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt, standard Hotkeys don't work.: Regarding typing Input to the Command Prompt.Pressing ctrl+a just types "^A".Pressing ctrl+z just types "^Z".Seemingly no option to highlight text, as shift+ctrl+[left]/[right] or shift+[home]/[end] would normally....
  3. Command Prompt, standard Hotkeys don't work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command Prompt, standard Hotkeys don't work.: Regarding typing Input to the Command Prompt.Pressing ctrl+a just types "^A".Pressing ctrl+z just types "^Z".Seemingly no option to highlight text, as shift+ctrl+[left]/[right] or shift+[home]/[end] would normally....
  4. Windows11 switch language hotkeys win+space not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11 switch language hotkeys win+space not working: Hi, I just get my new windows11 on a new laptop. But it seems the win+space hotkey is not working. And I can't switch from alt+shift to that hotkey combination. The options are very limited.Also the shortcut for screenshot in windows 10 shift+win+s is also not working.Please...
  5. Windows11 switch language hotkeys win+space not working

Windows11 switch language hotkeys win+space not working: Hi, I just get my new windows11 on a new laptop. But it seems the win+space hotkey is not working. And I can't switch from alt+shift to that hotkey combination. The options are very limited.Also the shortcut for screenshot in windows 10 shift+win+s is also not working.Please...
  6. My language input hotkey doesn't work properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My language input hotkey doesn't work properly: I always use Left Alt + Shift To change my language Input but after updating Windows 10 latest I cant use it anymore so I upgrade to Windows 11 but it is still happens.when I tried to change language input on taskbar click on the Taskbar + Left Alt + Shift it changed 6 out of...
  7. My language input hotkey doesn't work properly

My language input hotkey doesn't work properly: I always use Left Alt + Shift To change my language Input but after updating Windows 10 latest I cant use it anymore so I upgrade to Windows 11 but it is still happens.when I tried to change language input on taskbar click on the Taskbar + Left Alt + Shift it changed 6 out of...
  8. Hotkeys for changing the language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hotkeys for changing the language: Is it possible to assign hotkeys to change the language, I want the "Russian and Ukrainian" language to change to the combination of keys ctrl + shift, and the "English" language to change to shift + alt ?...
  9. Hotkeys for changing the language

Hotkeys for changing the language: Is it possible to assign hotkeys to change the language, I want the "Russian and Ukrainian" language to change to the combination of keys ctrl + shift, and the "English" language to change to shift + alt ?...
  10. how to change hotkey for language swapping?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change hotkey for language swapping?: so I use " ` " as a hotkey for changing between 2 languages for a long time and my new laptop has a difference hotkey for changing("win+space") i'm very annoyed by having to press 2 keys at once so can anyone tell me how I can change the language changing hotkey?...