Windows 10: Laptop Account Security When Going to Repair Shop

Discus and support Laptop Account Security When Going to Repair Shop in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop that needs a new powerport (receptacle where power cord plugs into laptop). Bringing it to a local shop. Although there doesn't... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by BIC, Oct 5, 2020.

1. BIC
    BIC Win User

Laptop Account Security When Going to Repair Shop

I have an HP laptop that needs a new powerport (receptacle where power cord plugs into laptop). Bringing it to a local shop. Although there doesn't seem to be any need for it, they asked for the password.

I created a new local user account with a password for the shop. Does this provide sufficient security for data on other accounts?

Should I wipe laptop and reinstall Win10 before releasing for repair? Windows has been acting up anyway and a fresh install would probably help. Windows has not been reinstalled in the three years or so since purchase. WinVer is 1903 (laptop has been sitting unused for over a year). Thanks.

:)

2. robin834 Win User

Limit Microsoft account for repair shop

I need to ship my laptop to a repair shop due to a hardware issue.

On my laptop I have installed Windows 10 and using my Microsoft account as Windows account.

I want the repair shop to be able to sign in to Windows using my account to be sure that they are seeing the exact same issue as I do to avoid having the laptop returned without the issue being resolved due to lack of access.

How can I restrict the repair shop from using my Microsoft account for anything else than accessing the laptop while it's in their possession?

/Robin

robin834, Oct 5, 2020
  3. Laptop Repair

googling the laptop and hitting shopping shows only one place other than ebay to buy it. The one on ebay is listed at $104 and the one at a site that accepts paypal was $179 for a new one.

sneekypeet, Oct 5, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Oct 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Laptop Account Security When Going to Repair Shop - Similar Threads - Laptop Account Security

2. HP laptop messed up by repair shop, please help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laptop messed up by repair shop, please help!: Split from this thread. I need your expertise, since I did something stupid by bringing my HP laptop to a tech at ubreakifix. I had some update from Windows 10, next thing I know, a blue screen with a sad character does not let me past the hp black screen with a spinwheel....
  3. HP laptop messed up by repair shop, please help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laptop messed up by repair shop, please help!: Split from this thread. I need your expertise, since I did something stupid by bringing my HP laptop to a tech at ubreakifix. I had some update from Windows 10, next thing I know, a blue screen with a sad character does not let me past the hp black screen with a spinwheel....
  4. HP laptop messed up by repair shop, please help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to protect personal data when having Win 10 laptop repaired at a computer repair shop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to protect personal data when having Win 10 laptop repaired at a computer repair shop?: I am thinking about taking my win 10 laptop to diagnose and fix a charging problem with my Win 10 laptop suspected mother board issue. How can I protect my personal data if I need to have it repaired without trying to erase all of it?? Is there a way to download my OS from...
  6. How to protect personal data when having Win 10 laptop repaired at a computer repair shop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to protect personal data when having Win 10 laptop repaired at a computer repair shop?: I am thinking about taking my win 10 laptop to diagnose and fix a charging problem with my Win 10 laptop suspected mother board issue. How can I protect my personal data if I need to have it repaired without trying to erase all of it?? Is there a way to download my OS from...
  7. How to protect personal data when having Win 10 laptop repaired at a computer repair shop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Keeping my user admin account secure while laptop is being repaired.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Keeping my user admin account secure while laptop is being repaired.: Hello- I am taking my HP Envy laptop in for a CPU fan replacement. My question is.... I do government contracting work and have to keep my user folder admin level secure. I created a local non-admin account for them to use if they have to start up the laptop. My question...
  9. When sending your pc/laptop to a repair shop,is it enough to encrypt your hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When sending your pc/laptop to a repair shop,is it enough to encrypt your hard drive?: I know that most technicians don't care about your files/folders/history ect.Tbh my laptop works fine but i want to be prepared if something goes wrong.I have seen a video where you can password protect your login and still you are able to acces the hdd folders/files via a...
  10. My Laptop keeps going into repair mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Laptop keeps going into repair mode: I just asked a question about my laptop's keyboard and touchpad not working and probably found a solution but now my computer keeps going into auto repair and i can't get to windows to sign in or anything....