Windows 10: Laptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes...

Discus and support Laptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, long story. tried asking for help before to no avail but it's a huge issue. In short I did something stupid and deleted a One Drive folder...for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kitten-versus-world, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Laptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes...

So, long story. tried asking for help before to no avail but it's a huge issue. In short I did something stupid and deleted a One Drive folder...for some reason it deleted my entired desktop...I tried a restore point earlier, that failed and claimed it ran out of space and the amount of gbs left went down quite a lot despite there being nothing more on it before and after the restore point.

I.e., I think before the restore point I had 30 gbs, now I had 1000 mbs. I tried undoing the restore point--it failed and the 1000 mbs more than halved. What?? Before the chaos with deleting my desktop on accident I had about 15 gbs in the day before this debacle...it went up to 30 gbs after I removed stuff. The math hee isn't exactly but I'm just trying to illustrate that

Yes, I checked the folders. I counted them up. I don't understand what is taking up all the data. This is a laptop with barely 220-200 gbs in total. I only accounted for 109 gbs being taken by visible programs, data, system stuff, etc...and it doesn't appear to understand where the rest went.

What is going on?

:)

Kitten-versus-world, Mar 28, 2020
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CLaptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes... :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CLaptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes... :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Mar 28, 2020
  3. Compumind Win User
    Restore points being deleted

Hi.

If you have a complete backup image, I would clear all your restore points first.

The deletion of restore points are generally caused by any one of the following by-design conditions:

1) You run out of disk space on the system drive or on any one of the available non-system drives, and System Restore stops responding and stops monitoring your system.
    2) You manually turn System Restore off. (not in your case.)
    3) A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then deleted because 90 days is the default time to live.

To resolve this, adjust the maximum storage allocation. Follow the steps listed below:

1) Press Windows key + W on the keyboard to search Settings, type “System” in the Search box and then click System from the list of results.
    2) Click System protection in the task pane.
    3) Under Protection Settings click to select Local Disk (CLaptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes... :) (System) and then click Configure.
    4) Under Disk Space Usage, move the Max Usage slider to the right to increase the disk space usage for System Restore points.

Note: If the protection is turned on for additional drives you might consider increasing the Max Usage for those drives as well.

Does this help you?

*Think

Compumind, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Laptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes...

restore points

The default restore point space allotment in Windows 7 is 1 to 3% of drive capacity. Typically, this does not allow for more than a few restore points. In almost all cases, the computer
    is using a very small proportion of the space available. That makes it very practical to raise that 3% to say 8 to 10%. This strategy will yield far more restore points that will give you much more flexibility in recovering a bad situation.

To change the allotment, type create in the text box above the start globe. Choose Create a restore point. Click configure. Move the slide to the right as much as you see fit. Setting it at 50 Gigabytes will have no affect if you
    have a 500 Gigabyte drive and are only using about 100 or so, which is highly typical.

Canadian Tech, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Laptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes...

1. Laptop, after a failed restore point ran out of space, thinks has dozens of less gigabytes... - Similar Threads - Laptop failed restore

2. Ran out of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ran out of space: There is no space on my c: drive, its showing 161 mb free of 237 gb and i really dont know how to clear it up. I tried disk clean up, sfc scannow, and chkdsk. Chkdsk didnt work it said this when i tried it.Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may...
  3. Ran out of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ran out of space: There is no space on my c: drive, its showing 161 mb free of 237 gb and i really dont know how to clear it up. I tried disk clean up, sfc scannow, and chkdsk. Chkdsk didnt work it said this when i tried it.Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may...
  4. Restore point failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore point failed: Hello.i try to restore point after unistallation of asus armoury crate and the process stack for hours to restore windows registry.I have norton 360 and disable tamber protection...
  5. Restore point failed

Restore point failed: Hello.i try to restore point after unistallation of asus armoury crate and the process stack for hours to restore windows registry.I have norton 360 and disable tamber protection...
  6. windows10 failure after failed restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows10 failure after failed restore point: hello allany help would be greatly appreciated as I am going to sleep on this having had a day of blue screen doom. I pray someone may gave a magic answer.the problem:I am was running w10 pro on a dell with adequate spec. there seemed to be a problem with the nvidia driver...
  7. windows10 failure after failed restore point

windows10 failure after failed restore point: hello allany help would be greatly appreciated as I am going to sleep on this having had a day of blue screen doom. I pray someone may gave a magic answer.the problem:I am was running w10 pro on a dell with adequate spec. there seemed to be a problem with the nvidia driver...
  8. windows10 failure after failed restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Ran out of ONEDRIVE disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ran out of ONEDRIVE disk space: Ran out of 5gb of ONEDRIVE space. Don't need Office 365 nor 1TB for $6.99 per month. Any other economical options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ran-out-of-onedrive-disk-space/aabf157b-dd88-4699-8826-5e6556a491b2
  10. Restore point failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore point failing: Topic says it all. I am trying to restore to an earlier point and it never gets past “initializing” the VERY second it attempt to begin, the PC reboots and give me an error “could not restore from earlier point”My reason for doing this is I followed a guide that was suppose...