Windows 10: Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

Discus and support Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by lightlybakedman, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted.

I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I never enabled Bitlocker so I do not have the key stored in my Microsoft account. As this is a refurbished laptop I think it may have had Bitlocker encryption previously enabled.

What can I do about this?

:)

lightlybakedman, Dec 8, 2020
  2. pj04 Win User

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

pj04, Dec 8, 2020
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Shafeeq,

Please find my answers to your questions below:

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key? - Yes, I am unable to even start my laptop unless I enter the recovery key.
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer? Nope
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key? Yes. I have a microsoft account and am able to login usually. But i am unable to login when I try to find the bitlocker recovery key.
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional? Windows 10 Home

When I on my laptop, there is a blue screen that asks me for bitlocker recovery key. I have tried asking my laptop company (Lenovo) and my institution both but no one has any answer to this. I have my bitlocker recovery ID number if that can help me find
    the recovery key.

Waiting eagerly for a response.

Thanks, and regards,

Shweta

Singh Shweta Rajkumar, Dec 8, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

Xylee Del, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

1. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key - Similar Threads - Laptop asking Bitlocker

2. My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery: My laptop started asking for a Bitlocker recovery key every time I start up the computer. This started after a recent windows update. I was able to find the key but it is just frustrating that I have to enter it every time I use the computer. How do I stop this from...
  3. My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery: My laptop started asking for a Bitlocker recovery key every time I start up the computer. This started after a recent windows update. I was able to find the key but it is just frustrating that I have to enter it every time I use the computer. How do I stop this from...
  4. My laptop is asking for a Bitlocker recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My laptop asked for the bitlocker key and i went to into the recovery key section and it...

My laptop asked for the bitlocker key and i went to into the recovery key section and it...: I've waited and nothing happenedTraceID: VCmgp0xn5EOBvBc/.26.77It also had this there and i don't really know what it means https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-asked-for-the-bitlocker-key-and-i-went/789e9de1-052d-43e2-aebe-e61f6282f6c8
  6. Laptop keeps asking for BitLocker recovery key and still will not load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps asking for BitLocker recovery key and still will not load: Why does laptop keep asking for BitLocker recovery key instead of loading. Screen is black with hp sign and never loads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-keeps-asking-for-bitlocker-recovery-key-and/316d9372-4b37-40ba-a626-1160f7dd456f
  7. Laptop keeps asking for BitLocker recovery key and still will not load

Laptop keeps asking for BitLocker recovery key and still will not load: Why does laptop keep asking for BitLocker recovery key instead of loading. Screen is black with hp sign and never loads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-keeps-asking-for-bitlocker-recovery-key-and/316d9372-4b37-40ba-a626-1160f7dd456f
  8. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  9. asking for Bitlocker recovery Key everytime i boot the laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    asking for Bitlocker recovery Key everytime i boot the laptop: i have the very long recovery key but it is very inconvenient to enter every time my Dell Inspiron 7773 boots? i disabled bitlocker on all the drives but still being prompted to enter during the start up. please help...
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...