Windows 10: Laptop at 100% disk, services.msc, settings and start menu won’t open, slow in safe mode

Discus and support Laptop at 100% disk, services.msc, settings and start menu won’t open, slow in safe mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; HP laptop very slow with 100% disk. Can’t access services.msc to disable Windows Search. A Powershell admin error message came when I tried to access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Coquelicote, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Laptop at 100% disk, services.msc, settings and start menu won’t open, slow in safe mode

HP laptop very slow with 100% disk. Can’t access services.msc to disable Windows Search.

A Powershell admin error message came when I tried to access start menu, settings also doesn’t work.

Disabled superfetch, little improvement. Laptop is slow in safe mode too.

:)

Coquelicote, Oct 24, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Oct 24, 2019
  3. Unistack Service constantly at 100% disk usage

Hello Ruben,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you tried check if the issue occurs in safe mode\clean boot?

If not, I suggest you to follow the steps suggested to boot into safe mode and check.

If the problem does not exist in safe mode, try to perform a clean boot (from the
    link you have provided) and check.

Do update us with the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Oct 24, 2019
  4. od63 Win User

Laptop at 100% disk, services.msc, settings and start menu won’t open, slow in safe mode

can't open start menu or settings and disk space at 100%

Disk usage in task manager has been at 99 or 100% for hours (though disabling Norton antivirus has started to alleviate that problem). In addition, my start menu suddenly will not open, and when I try to open settings by hitting window key + i, the settings
    window opens briefly, is completely blank except for the "wheel" symbol over a blue background, and then the window closes completely after about 2 seconds.

If I open a web browser, disk usage percentage spikes and if I try to do anything online, it also spikes, completely freezing out everything. Since disabling norton, the disk usage is staying around 0-15% until I open a web browser, either chrome or firefox,
    and then it spikes again and everything slows down until it crashes.

This has been happening for the past 5 hours and I have been searching every which way I can online to solve it but nothing is working. Still have no start menu, still can not access settings, still having disk usage issues. Please help! My computer is essentially
    useless and I am bored and frustrated. Thank you

Thema:

Laptop at 100% disk, services.msc, settings and start menu won’t open, slow in safe mode

1. Laptop at 100% disk, services.msc, settings and start menu won’t open, slow in safe mode - Similar Threads - Laptop 100% disk

2. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk utilisation slowing laptop: 2021 HP with i7 processors and Windows 10Have carried out HDD checks and all state its fine.Need help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-utilisation-slowing-laptop/c5cbafc6-17fe-41ed-8f47-4989ec37cc83
  3. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk utilisation slowing laptop: 2021 HP with i7 processors and Windows 10Have carried out HDD checks and all state its fine.Need help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-utilisation-slowing-laptop/c5cbafc6-17fe-41ed-8f47-4989ec37cc83
  4. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start menu won’t open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu won’t open: Im in windows 10 and my start menu won’t open for som reason and I can’t update windows. submitted by /u/iHateCollageAlot [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mhb722/start_menu_wont_open/
  6. Laptop Incredibly Slow and Disk at 100%

Laptop Incredibly Slow and Disk at 100%: My wife's laptop is slow to the point of unusable and the disk is constantly at 100%, even start from bootup. I have removed everything I can from start-up and disabled all non-Microsoft services as you can see from the below: https://i.imgur.com/hHCL45T.jpg I am at a loss...
  7. 100% Disk Usage leak when opening Start Menu

100% Disk Usage leak when opening Start Menu: Opening the start menu provokes a massive spike on the disk usage, staying at 100% for several minutes. No processor seems to stand out on the Task Manager. I've literally tried every trick I could find online from the MSI one to killing superfetch & Windows Search, stopping...
  8. Windows 10 laptop at 100% disk, so slow, apps and start menu won’t open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 laptop at 100% disk, so slow, apps and start menu won’t open: My HP laptop has been extremely slow thanks to a 100% disk. Before I saw the 100% disk Google Chrome wouldn’t open links, the loading icon would just keep spinning, then it wouldn’t open at all. Same with firefox but Edge would work. Now laptop is practically unusable....
  9. 100% disk usage and unable to open .msc, e.g services devicemanager

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% disk usage and unable to open .msc, e.g services devicemanager: Hi, Just need some help Basically i am unable to open any applications that end in .msc such as services or device manager, it comes up saying that i cant to open mmc.exe even though i am administrator, would really like some help and can specify more thoroughly if needed....
  10. Start Menu Glitch in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Glitch in Safe Mode: Start Menu is completely unusuable in Safe mode on Windows 10. I'm not asking for a fix because I know there isn't one. Microsoft releases an operating system without confirming if its basic functions "Safe Mode" even work. This is quite disappointing. I've been a...
Tags: