Windows 10: Laptop Blazing Hot But Sleep Report Says 7h of Modern Standby

Discus and support Laptop Blazing Hot But Sleep Report Says 7h of Modern Standby in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; As per the headline, I arrived home to my Lenovo C940 rather hot to the touch more than warm... and the fans whirring like mad. I couldn't wake it up;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mike302, Jan 20, 2020.

1. mike302 Win User

Laptop Blazing Hot But Sleep Report Says 7h of Modern Standby

As per the headline, I arrived home to my Lenovo C940 rather hot to the touch more than warm... and the fans whirring like mad. I couldn't wake it up; I had to hold the power button to turn it off then on again. I produced a sleep report cmd powercfg /SleepStudy. The report confirms the laptop was in "Modern Standby" from 10:00:41 until 17:43:27 --- 7h:42m. See image below.

How do we explain this? How do we get to the bottom of it? I can't force the problem to happen again, but I strongly expect it will. I don't know what other investigation I can do though.

Further hardware/software details:

Windows 10 1909, repair installed the OS just a week ago, and new system board installed 2 weeks ago because the laptop would consistently not wake from sleep.

Laptop Blazing Hot But Sleep Report Says 7h of Modern Standby be49bfe9-c60b-4da7-8a5d-006947c0e71f?upload=true.png

Laptop Blazing Hot But Sleep Report Says 7h of Modern Standby 193d5a58-3bde-41ea-a5f7-7e37202f2738?upload=true.png Laptop Blazing Hot But Sleep Report Says 7h of Modern Standby 17b4d451-683c-4a46-bfe4-efc7aa272535?upload=true.png

:)

mike302, Jan 20, 2020

2. Best Buy says all Windows 10 PC support Modern Standby now, Is this true ?

Good day!

Microsoft does not sustain a list of laptops or devices that support Modern Standby.

You will also find that Modern Standby is usually not listed on a specs sheet or features sheet.

The only way to tell is to type "powercfg /a" into a command prompt. If "S0 Low Power Idle" Is listed, then you get modern standby.

To be honest, I would say to not trust best buy. If you want to ask about the surface and other Microsoft products, you should live chat/call Microsoft and ask them as they know best. Best Buy is there to sell you products and they will usually try to tell
    you what you want to hear.

You could, however, go into best buy and run the command yourself to test it.

For what it is worth, laptop mag says "Many laptops — including many brand-new, premium systems — don't support Modern Standby"

https://www.****/articles/how-to-use-m...

Hope this helps

Zackary Vanosdol, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Which Laptops support Modern Standby ?

I have been using my new Dell XPS-13-9370 and one of the featured I did not expect until a friend showed me is its ability to go into and resume from "Modern Standby". The sleep state in the older model was S3 but in this new model it is S0i3, which Microsoft
    refers to as Modern Standby and Intel calls S0 Low Power Idle.

So, with this feature enabled, I can wake the XPS 13 from Sleep by saying "Hey Cortana". This even works with the lid down.

I think this is a great feature but I was surprised I did not know about it until after I purchased my laptop.

How can a consumer buying from retail know which system support this capability ?

Paul.Review.2020, Jan 20, 2020
  4. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

Thema:

1. Laptop Blazing Hot But Sleep Report Says 7h of Modern Standby - Similar Threads - Laptop Blazing Hot

2. I hate microsoft with a blazing hot passion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hate microsoft with a blazing hot passion: The intrusion, the lies, the bull, the "fake" support that never does what you ask, that puts more **** on your computer, the actual stopping computers and touch screens from working which is illegal without putting more of your intrusive **** on a computer, allowing access...
  3. I hate microsoft with a blazing hot passion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I hate microsoft with a blazing hot passion: The intrusion, the lies, the bull, the "fake" support that never does what you ask, that puts more **** on your computer, the actual stopping computers and touch screens from working which is illegal without putting more of your intrusive **** on a computer, allowing access...
  4. I hate microsoft with a blazing hot passion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report: Hi,I've disabled on one of the laptops all possible sleep settings that it can be. Laptop still goes into sleep at a random times when lid is closed.Sleep report shows ENTER REASON0x101 Transition To SleepWhat is that code or how to find out reason why laptop enters sleep.If...
  6. Unable to connect in RDP when my laptop sleeping Modern Standby active

Unable to connect in RDP when my laptop sleeping Modern Standby active: Im in Windows 1909. I dont know why I am unable to connect in RDP to my laptop when is sleeping. Modern Standby S0 low-power idle is enable.With Modern Standby, RDP is not supposed to keep working when the laptop goes into sleep ??The settings "Allow Network Connectivity...
  7. Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC: Greetings, I am wondering if anyone knows how to create a sleep shortcut for a PC on 20H2 in modern standby. The old S3 shortcut and variants do not work with modern standby. rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 etc I'm aware of the PlatformAoAcOverride key to...
  8. BLAZING HOT PEN-DRIVE !!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BLAZING HOT PEN-DRIVE !!: I have a SanDisk OTG Pen-drive, if I use it for example more than 3mins, and some writing is going in it, it becomes Blazing hot. It's so hot you can't even put your fingers on the USB area for more than a sec after removing it safely form the computer. So the thing I wanted...
  9. modern standby problems entering to sleep

modern standby problems entering to sleep: Laptop Dell XPS 7590 Windows 10 2004build. I press the power button, laptop starts going to sleep, then if i was lucky enough when i close the lid after some time laptop stops responding to ping. But in most cases laptop just not going to sleep at all. Then if i look to...
  10. 20H1 Sleepstudy report does not show modern standby

20H1 Sleepstudy report does not show modern standby: I have a few laptops that support modern/connected standby S0 Low Power Idle but after upgrading them to 20H1 OS Build 19041 I realised that the sleepstudy report no longer shows connected standby but instead it shows sleep instead. I need the sleepstudy report to analyse the...