Windows 10: Laptop boots from wrong drive

Discus and support Laptop boots from wrong drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I got an SSD for my HP Envy dv6 and installed Windows 10 on it. When I did it I only had the SSD connected to my laptop, and before adding back the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AmirBejaoui, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Laptop boots from wrong drive

I got an SSD for my HP Envy dv6 and installed Windows 10 on it. When I did it I only had the SSD connected to my laptop, and before adding back the HDD, I had no problem with the boot up.

I connected back the HDD with Windows 10 on it. This created a problem where no matter what the priority is in the BIOS it will always boot from the HDD.

So at every start of the laptop I needed to press F10, not change anything the order is already to boot from the SSD first and save and exit for it to boot from the SSD.

Even after accessing the legacy boot and changing it too, it still boots from the HDD first.

So I formated the HDD to only use it as a data drive.

Now when it boots up, it still tries to boot from the HDD and tries to repair the disk. I get these two screens.

Laptop boots from wrong drive e4868750-9533-424a-abd4-9719981c3a9e?upload=true.jpg

Laptop boots from wrong drive 03a590bd-0a2d-4f04-aeda-d89587a7c9f4?upload=true.jpg

I can choose to continue to windows 10 as displayed on the second screen and then it will boot up from the SSD.

I tried disconnecting the HDD and use the SSD only and it works perfectly.

How do I get it to boot from the SSD and still have the HDD connected as a data drive?

:)

AmirBejaoui, Mar 19, 2020

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Mar 19, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Laptop boots from wrong drive

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Laptop boots from wrong drive :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

Laptop boots from wrong drive

1. Laptop boots from wrong drive - Similar Threads - Laptop boots wrong

2. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows booting from wrong drive: When I re-built my PC in 2021, I installed an M.2 drive and a fresh version of windows 10 but I also left the original C: drive in the PC and have never bothered to format it an oversight I know. For the last 3 years, I've had no issues with windows running off the new M2...
  3. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows booting from wrong drive: When I re-built my PC in 2021, I installed an M.2 drive and a fresh version of windows 10 but I also left the original C: drive in the PC and have never bothered to format it an oversight I know. For the last 3 years, I've had no issues with windows running off the new M2...
  4. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  6. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  7. Boot Sector on Wrong Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Sector on Wrong Drive: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  8. Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot manager booting to the wrong drive: Hello, Awhile back, with the help of this community, I was able to reimage my computer from an older SSD to a new M.2. The older SSDs were fine, I just wanted to update to a M.2. I would now like to format the old drives and use them as storage. I've read that I can do this...
  9. PC Booting from wrong drive since update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Booting from wrong drive since update: I just installed the new windows 10 update but now my PC is booting from my C drive when it was usually going from my D drive so all my user setting and files are still on the D drive. They are accessible but it is a bit annoying that everything has changed around and all my...
  10. Windows tries to boot from wrong drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows tries to boot from wrong drive: Good morning! A few months ago I replaced my original HDD with an SSD, which is now called Drive C: and contains the OS (Win 10). When I first did this I simply disconnected the HDD and Windows always booted from the new SSD without an issue. Recently I decided to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows boots wrong ssd