Windows 10: laptop boots up to desktop but then nothing-

Discus and support laptop boots up to desktop but then nothing- in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I fear that my question may be particularly difficult to solve. My Acer Aspire laptop has worked very well for me. I broke the screen a couple years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Palms_Calm, Jul 12, 2020.

1. laptop boots up to desktop but then nothing-

I fear that my question may be particularly difficult to solve.

My Acer Aspire laptop has worked very well for me. I broke the screen a couple years back which does not bother me because I use the TV as my screen and I use a USB wireless mouse and keyboard. I don't have to be near my laptop to do everything. The laptop has had troubles lately so I'm going to switch to a NUC so that I can still use the same set up, TV, wireless keyboard and mousse. My laptop is getting on in years and turns off pretty frequently and I have to restart from scratch....... so I press the power button more than ever turning it off and on until it boots up and the image appears on my TV and all is well.

Today there was a Windows 10 update and a screen came on advertising a new Windows Explorer, one of those that fills the entire screen and has no option but to "learn more" button. BUT nothing worked, the remote mousse and keyboard nor the laptop pad nor keyboard. I could do nothing but to press the power button again and turn the laptop off and then start over.

So, now it boots up to my desktop but I can do nothing. There is no cursor. When I remove the USB mini to reengage the wireless mousse and keyboard, I don't hear the nice little sound and nothing happens. My desktop is there on my TV with my pretty background and all my icons but I cannot do anything. No buttons on the laptop itself do anything either.

I think that part of the solution will entail pressing F8 when booting but since I do not have a laptop screen, I don't think that opening up into Safe Mode will work since I won't get far enough for the image to appear on my TVI use an HDMI cable,

Because I cannot get any controls to work, I cannot even go back to before this update to see if that works.

What to do?

I'm using a friend's laptop at the moment in order to search for solutions.

Help!

Jay

:)

Palms_Calm, Jul 12, 2020
  2. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jul 12, 2020
  3. PC wont boot up (No POST, No Video)

I recently installed a new Asus M5A99X Evo r2.0. The motherboard green LED lights up and the case and cpu fans spin. But there is no video when its hooked up to my monitor.

Steps that i have tried:
    "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist

Made sure all connections are properly connected.

Flashing the CMOS

Tested the PSU

Followed all steps in the user manual

If there are any links that you guys can point me to or suggestions that could help it would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Mrblack761, Jul 12, 2020
  4. laptop boots up to desktop but then nothing-

Windows Powershell auto opens when booting up

Hi Victor,

To stop Windows Powershell to start whenever you boot up your laptop, we suggest you to follow the steps listed below for selecting the services you want to run at startup:

• Search System Configurationfrom the taskbar.
    • Select the top result, System Configuration desktop app.
    • Go to the Startup tab on the System Configuration main window.
    • Uncheck the box next to Windows Powershell program.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Restart to restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

laptop boots up to desktop but then nothing-

1. laptop boots up to desktop but then nothing- - Similar Threads - laptop boots desktop

2. nothing boots up, windows 11 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nothing boots up, windows 11 laptop: My HP laptop windows 11 is stuck at the spinning circle after my friend trolled me into disabling all services from System Configuration app. I got it back working after factory resetting everything but the next day aka today when I woke up it was looping boot, I went to BIOS...
  3. nothing boots up, windows 11 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    nothing boots up, windows 11 laptop: My HP laptop windows 11 is stuck at the spinning circle after my friend trolled me into disabling all services from System Configuration app. I got it back working after factory resetting everything but the next day aka today when I woke up it was looping boot, I went to BIOS...
  4. Laptop not booting up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop not booting up: I have a Lenovo laptop it used to work fine a few days ago. It stopped booting up. When I click on the power button the screen brightens up and that's pretty much it doesn't reach the logo part. I thought it may work after a few days but it's been 3-4 days and it's not...
  5. Issue when I try to boot up laptop it says unmountable boot volume. Nothing works. Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue when I try to boot up laptop it says unmountable boot volume. Nothing works. Help: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Crispy_toast_frick [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/juubdh/issue_when_i_try_to_boot_up_laptop_it_says/
  6. Laptop not booting up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop not booting up: My HP laptop is not booting up. It shows me the manufacturer's logo and then all I have is a black screen What I think the reason is: Before this problem occurred, I had changed the Owner of my C: drive from TrustedInstaller to my own user account(which is an admin...
  7. Nothing Opens to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nothing Opens to desktop: Hi, I have a new (out of the box today) gaming pc with windows 10 pre-installed. It's setup, windows 10 screen is displayed but none of the windows are opening to the desktop. They will appear on the taskbar as pins & i can click from one to the other, but absolutely...
  8. nothing showing up in desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    nothing showing up in desktop: i turned on pc and nothing showed up on desktop but everythink else works normally thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nothing-showing-up-in-desktop/dcb74dbd-7f72-4fff-9f51-4950bceaca4b
  9. windows is not starting up or booting. nothing works

windows is not starting up or booting. nothing works: i have tried all recovery methods but my system is not starting. i have tried severally to reinstall windows but at a point it keeps saying windows 10 installation file is corrupted, contact vendor or administrator. please help me because important files in my pc only though...
  10. New Desktop Boot Up

New Desktop Boot Up: Hi I just got a new Acer desktop with windows 10 pre-installed on it from best buy, when I turned the computer on a little loading wheel with just a moment poped up on the screen it has now been about an hour and nothing has changed is this normal or should I restart the...