Windows 10: Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor

Discus and support Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Laptop: ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14 Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.264 Issue: When I connect an external monitor to my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CheasePM, Jun 10, 2020.

1. CheasePM Win User

Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor

Laptop: ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14

Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.264

Issue: When I connect an external monitor to my laptop using an HDMI cable, the laptop's screen's brightness is automatically set to the maximum. Adjusting the brightness with the slider in the taskbar panel does nothing. The numbers go up and down but the laptop's brightness doesn't change. Adjusting the brightness with the keyboard doesn't do anything. I also tried changing it through commands in PowerShell but that also didn't work.

All drivers are updated to their newest versions. I also tried rolling back the AMD Radeon Graphics driver under the Display Adapters in the the Device Manager and that didn't fix anything. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the laptop's built-in display shows up as Generic PnP Monitor but that does nothing.

Other things I have tried:

• changing the Power Plan for the laptop but that also did not do anything.
    • making changes to the registry which did not do anything.
    • uninstalling the hidden Generic PnP Monitor drivers

Here's a screenshot of what my Device Manager looks like if that helps at all

Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor 552de257-7f1e-484c-a589-a54bcb6b51af?upload=true.png

This ONLY happens when I plug in an external monitor. I tried two different ones and I get the same problem with both. As soon as I unplug one, I can change the brightness like normal. That leads me to believe the issue occurs with whatever piece of hardware/software deals with detecting input from the HDMI port. But I have no idea other than that.

I have been trying to fix this for hours and have gotten nowhere. I am losing my mind and am so close to just returning this laptop. I can't work like this

:)

CheasePM, Jun 10, 2020
  2. WiIfred P Win User

Can't change brightness on Windows 10 when plugged into a monitor

Hi Daniel,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor and an expert with Windows 10.

I understand your concern about changing the brightness of Windows 10 when plugged into a monitor.

Like what you mentioned that this issue only happens when you close the lid of the laptop. Actually the brightness control within the operating system would only work on the laptop's display. As for the external monitors that you attached on your laptop they
    have their own physical controls usually on the bezels or frame of the monitor. From there, you can control the brightness of each monitor.

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Jun 10, 2020
  3. External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off

I recently got an external monitor, Lenovo L24q-20, which I use with my HP Envy Laptop. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled with buttons on the monitor, and is by default set to 80/100. This is a bit too bright for me so I set it down to 50/100, and all is well. However, when my laptop/the monitor go to sleep, when I wake my computer back up the value has reset to 80/100. Does anyone know why this is and any fixes I could try. I've restarted the computer and updated the drivers so far.

ConceptEight, Jun 10, 2020
  4. Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor

monitor brightness?

Hi Tom,

To change your Windows 10 monitor brightness, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo; then, search for Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Choose Power Options.
    • On the next screen you should see brightness slider at the bottom of the Control Panel window.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor

1. Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor - Similar Threads - Laptop brightness stuck

2. Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in: Hello everybody I have such a problem that when I turn on my laptop without the second monitor plugged in it doesn´t turn on like it turns on but does not load anything just a black screen. But when I plug the second monitor I leave it a little time so then it works like...
  3. Auto brightness when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto brightness when plugged in: Recently re-set my computer back to factory, re-installed Windows 11, and now when I have it plugged in, if I change between a dark and light UI application, the brightness automatically adjusts. This does not happen on battery. I have checked everything possible and read...
  4. Laptop plugged into external monitor over HDMI, monitor stuck at lower resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop plugged into external monitor over HDMI, monitor stuck at lower resolution: The 2nd monitor is stuck at 640x480 even though it's 1080p. I've gone into the display settings and the display resolution option for the external monitor is greyed out. And when I plug the HDMI cable into the monitor, there's a box that pops up on the monitor that says...
  5. Laptop Brightness Stuck at 100% on Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Brightness Stuck at 100% on Windows 10!: One day, I was working on a project in Adobe Illustrator on my "330-15IKB (Type 81DE) Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81DE" laptop and then it automatically restarted and then laptop get stuck after typing login password. Then i forced shutdown my laptop, Now when i switched on my...
  6. External Monitor too bright

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor too bright: Acer external monitor on Windows 10 32 bit. There is no physical button on the monitor offering brightness control. There is no way of getting into the User option which you can move to but not change And Windows does not offer a brightness control/slider Help!...
  7. Brightness stuck at 100%

Brightness stuck at 100%: My laptop's brightness has been stuck at 100% for around a month now. It all started because I created a custom power plan. Even after I went back to the balanced power plan, my brightness hasn't been able to be changed. Even when I go to the battery icon and attempt to...
  8. Windows brightness stuck at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows brightness stuck at 100%: I updated my laptop 3 days ago and now my brightness is stuck. I tried changing it from the battery settings but the option has vanished from everywhere. Then I tried uninstalling the display drives NVIDIA 940M and still nothing after following the procedure from this...
  9. Screen Stuck at 100% Brightness

Screen Stuck at 100% Brightness: I recently bought a Lenovo ideapad 330 that came with Windows 10. Everything worked fine for the first two weeks until my screen is stuck at 100% brightness. I've looked around for a fix, and the one solution that everyone says should work (refreshing/updating my driver)...
  10. External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off: I recently got an external monitor, Lenovo L24q-20, which I use with my HP Envy Laptop. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled with buttons on the monitor, and is by default set to 80/100. This is a bit too bright for me so I set it down to 50/100, and all is...