Windows 10: Laptop can't go to sleep mode, instead just shut itself off after a few minutes

Discus and support Laptop can't go to sleep mode, instead just shut itself off after a few minutes in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; It started when it takes super long to shutdown. I made sure nothing was running before shutting down and it still takes too long, the screen is off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/farrelarrayyan, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Laptop can't go to sleep mode, instead just shut itself off after a few minutes

It started when it takes super long to shutdown. I made sure nothing was running before shutting down and it still takes too long, the screen is off but the actual laptop itself isn't.. But this was fixed by disabling fast startup.

Now it does the same on sleep mode. Screen off, hangs there, can't wake it up, about 5 minutes later, off. Shut down. I can turn it back on no problem, everyday use is no problem too. It just can't go to sleep.

I made sure the settings were right. It's fine last week, and I haven't changed anything. I checked the "choose what closing the lid does" and it's set to sleep.

Anyone knows any fix? In the meantime I'm trying to install the latest updates and patches (I'm currently running 20H2).

submitted by /u/farrelarrayyan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/farrelarrayyan, Nov 23, 2020

2. Computer shuts down instead of going in to sleep mode

Since two weeks my Dell laptop is shutting down every time when:

• Closing the laptop
    • Pressing the power button short
    • Manually via the Start Menu
    All these options are set to Sleep Mode and not Shut Down.

EgonMeijers, Nov 23, 2020
  3. My laptop shuts down instead of sleeping

I have a new laptop MSI GS72 6QE-429 Stealth Pro with preinstalled WIN10 and recently I have updated my drivers via "The Booster Driver 4", but since then, I can not put it to sleep mode. It always shuts down (even that takes more than a minute, which is
    strange). I tried to look for BIOS settings and I found nothing, tried to look for some solutions but nothing worked so far.

It is not such a big thing, but it can be annoying when I want to start it up from the sleep mode and not from scratch every time. Thanks for suggestions.

RadoslavMičica, Nov 23, 2020
  4. El_Mayo Win User

Laptop can't go to sleep mode, instead just shut itself off after a few minutes

Is it alright to ALWAYS use sleep mode instead of shutting down?

I have a vista laptop
    i find vista and it's superior sleep mode very convenient.. but is there a downside to using sleep mode all the time?

El_Mayo, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

Laptop can't go to sleep mode, instead just shut itself off after a few minutes

1. Laptop can't go to sleep mode, instead just shut itself off after a few minutes - Similar Threads - Laptop can't sleep

2. How to make screensaver go into sleep mode after a few minutes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make screensaver go into sleep mode after a few minutes?: I have Windows 11 and I wanted to know if there was a way to set my screensaver to go on after x minutes and then x minutes after that, have my pc go to sleep? I like using the screensaver while I’m sitting at my desk on my phone and listening to music from my pc screensaver...
  3. How to make screensaver go into sleep mode after a few minutes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make screensaver go into sleep mode after a few minutes?: I have Windows 11 and I wanted to know if there was a way to set my screensaver to go on after x minutes and then x minutes after that, have my pc go to sleep? I like using the screensaver while I’m sitting at my desk on my phone and listening to music from my pc screensaver...
  4. Laptop Shuts Down Instead of Sleeping after few minutes when I Close the Lid.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Shuts Down Instead of Sleeping after few minutes when I Close the Lid.: Hi,I recently bought an Alienware M15 R7 Laptop. It is running Windows 11 Home. The issue I am facing is that, when I close the lid the laptop goes to sleep and when I open it it wakes up from sleep but when the laptop is left idle for few minutes after closing the lid, it...
  5. Laptop Shuts Down Instead of Sleeping after few minutes when I Close the Lid.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Shuts Down Instead of Sleeping after few minutes when I Close the Lid.: Hi,I recently bought an Alienware M15 R7 Laptop. It is running Windows 11 Home. The issue I am facing is that, when I close the lid the laptop goes to sleep and when I open it it wakes up from sleep but when the laptop is left idle for few minutes after closing the lid, it...
  6. PC crashes few minutes after going to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC crashes few minutes after going to sleep: Recently rebuilt my PC with new CPU/mobo/ram/storage and a fresh install of W10. Everything seems fine except after the system sleeps it also shutdown/crashes within a few minutes. event viewer shows:"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e...
  7. Can't stop laptop going to sleep mode after 15 minutes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't stop laptop going to sleep mode after 15 minutes.: I've changed the settings. Didn't work. Did some Googling and it said to go into RegEdit and make a change there. Which I did. But laptop still sleeps after 15 minutes idle. submitted by /u/Bradders33 [link] [comments]...
  8. Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes: I installed a new SSD into my Dell Insperon 13-7352, now the computer will randomly go to sleep every when it is being used. I've done some searching online and I thin the problem is similar to this one:...
  9. Laptop shuts down completely instead of going into sleep mode after latest update

Laptop shuts down completely instead of going into sleep mode after latest update: I installed the latest Windows 10 update two days ago. Ever since then, every time I set my computer to sleep, it shuts down completely. This has happened once before about six months ago. The support staff restored my computer to the pre-update version. Would someone be able...
  10. Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...

Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...: Does anyone know how to solve a problem I keep having on my laptop - every time I press sleep, it shuts down (meaning I lose everything I had open) and every time I leave it on for more than 10 minutes without use, it shuts down also - since I can't press the sleep button as...