Windows 10: Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.

Discus and support Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I’m done working for a bit I put my computer to sleep and close the lid. For some reason every Windows 10 laptop I have owned has always woken my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MastermindGames, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.

When I’m done working for a bit I put my computer to sleep and close the lid. For some reason every Windows 10 laptop I have owned has always woken my from sleep even when their lids are closed. This causes them to get hot and the fans to scream when it’s not really supposed to be on in the first place!

I’ve tried so many things:

1) changing the internet type to metered mode. 2) changing all peripherals to not wake on LAN 3) changed power mode and laptop lid to hibernate when closed. 4) turn off all apps that might interrupt sleep 5) turn off automatic update 6) update all drivers 7) turning off background apps

Nothing I’ve done on any laptop, and any brand seems to fix the issue. I’m afraid that letting it continue to happen will wear down my laptop faster. I could certainly shut it down every time but I don’t feel like I should have to do that.

Any help would be much appreciated!

submitted by /u/MastermindGames
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MastermindGames, Jan 2, 2020

2. Laptop tries to wake from sleep while lid is closed.

Hello,

I have a Gateway NV53A with Windows 10 Home installed. When I close the lid, it goes to sleep normally for a few hours, but after a few hours it will start to get caught in a never ending "wake up loop" i.e. the laptop will try to wake itself up before quickly
    realizing that it can't because the lid is closed. The DVD drive will continuously start to spin up each time. This happens every two or three seconds. The sound of the DVD drive trying to spin up every three seconds is annoying and it also wastes battery.
    Normally, I have to hit a key on the keyboard to wake up the laptop after opening the lid again, but when it's in one of these wake up loops, it successfully wakes itself up upon opening the lid (evidence suggesting it's indeed trying to wake itself up.)

I've tried using the command line to see what devices are permitted to wake up the device, but none were listed. I've also disabled wake on LAN.

The only clue I've been able to find is an error in the system log that reads: "The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance."

However, I'm not sure this pertains to the specific issue I'm having.

TaylorPinkham, Jan 2, 2020
  3. tolcso Win User
    Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally
    put it to sleep), or to closing the lid again.

The problem only occurs if the sleep was triggered by closing the lid. If I press the power button or choose the sleep option from the Start menu, it works properly, even if the lid was closed after it went to sleep.

It's an Asus GL502VM. I used to have similar issues occasionally when it wouldn't wake up from hibernation properly, the screen stayed black. Pressing the power button or closing the lid to send it to sleep and waking up again solved the problem. Now it
    doesn't react to anything and it happens every time I close the lid.

tolcso, Jan 2, 2020
  4. ScrappyD Win User

Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.

Laptop wakes while lid is closed, stays on

With my current laptop (and several other Win10 laptops I've had), I will sleep the system by closing the lid and sometimes come back to it hours later to find the system has turned back on (lid still closed). Often the system is running pretty hot and has
    remained in that state for a long time.

There are no external peripherals (so no external keyboard or mouse event is involved). From looking at wake sources, it usually appears to be that it woke checking for updates.

I've seen some online tips on how to completely prevent the laptop from waking up on its own. But that seems to me to be the wrong question. Checking for updates is fine. The real problem is: why hasn't it gone back to sleep? My power settings are configured
    to go into sleep after 30 minutes, and under normal conditions (lid open, stepping away from the system for a while) it does. But if it wakes on its own, it will not go back to sleep.

Thanks!

ScrappyD, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep.

1. Laptop + closed lid keeps waking during sleep. - Similar Threads - Laptop closed lid

2. When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.: I want the laptop to stay awake when I close the lid, so I can listen to Spotify with the lid closed. So I have the option set to "Do nothing" for when I close the lid. I press the power button to put the device to sleep. It goes to sleep. Then I close the lid, it wakes up...
  3. Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed

Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed: Airplanes can catch fire from Microsoft Hibernate or Sleep because more recently, Sleep and Hibernate are not working. You put your laptop in a backpack with LID CLOSE TO HIBERNATE or Sleep that worked before for 10+ years on old Windows versions. 20 times in recent weeks I...
  4. Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed: Airplanes can catch fire from Microsoft Hibernate or Sleep because more recently, Sleep and Hibernate are not working. You put your laptop in a backpack with LID CLOSE TO HIBERNATE or Sleep that worked before for 10+ years on old Windows versions. 20 times in recent weeks I...
  5. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  6. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  7. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Hello, hope you can help me when my Asus laptop lid is closed using an outside keyboard and screenand I put it to sleep. when I wish it to wake up, I must open the lid to do so.is there a way to wake it up without open the lid?when it sleeps it does not respond to the outside...
  8. External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed.

External Monitor wont wake from sleep, laptop lid closed.: Hi All, I have a setup where I have my laptop on Windows 10 connected through USB C onto a DP port of an external monitor. I keep the lid of the laptop closed Action when Lid is closed is set to nothing already. So essentially the only screen I have is the external monitor....
  9. How to wake Windows laptop from sleep with lid closed?

in Windows 10 News
    How to wake Windows laptop from sleep with lid closed?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Laptops are great devices; they have essentially transformed the way we use Windows. But if you are rather looking for an arrangement where you want to use your portable laptop as a desktop connected to a monitor, you are going [...] This post How to wake...
  10. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally put it to sleep), or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop sleep lid keeps waking

2. windows 10 keeps waking from sleep when laptop is closed