Windows 10: Laptop closing down and restarting.

Discus and support Laptop closing down and restarting. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, [ATTACH] I went for a period when this was not happening until now again, previously the advice posted for the same problem was like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by grahamleo, May 2, 2020.

1. grahamleo Win User

Laptop closing down and restarting.

Hello,

Laptop closing down and restarting. bb3256f1-a86a-46d5-a546-773872fefcc9?upload=true.png

I went for a period when this was not happening until now again, previously the advice posted for the same problem was like reinventing the wheel, I did nothing.

What has been changed are my Power settings which I have changed again to trial

My Laptop works 24/7 and I make it work hard.

When I close my Laptop lid it does nothing which is the NEVER option while plugged in.

I have a suspicion the problem may lye with the Screen setting if it turns off after a period when the lid is closed

or when the the lid is opened it then restarts after it gives me a blue screen.

I don't want Tech advice of going into my machine.

I would like something like checking boxes or un-checking or if I am working my machine to hard.

I use the monitor full time to watch the status of the machine.

At the moment it closes down when the lid is closed and perhaps, at the opening of the lid,

Previously it has closed down when I have been working on the Laptop but not this time.

thanks and regards

:)

grahamleo, May 2, 2020
  2. asus2016 Win User

Safe to close laptop during restart?

This is an embarrassing question, that I'd think I could google a definitive answer for, but I can't:

Is it safe to close a laptop (in my case, an HP Probook 450 G5) while it's restarting?

The background:

It's been more than 15 years since I used a laptop extensively, but I got one that I keep at my office and use for my primary computer there.

I like to restart at the end of the day, so my computer is ready to go, fresh, the next day. This is easy with a desktop, but a laptop seems more "vulnerable" just sitting there open, so my preference is to close it.

Two days ago, I restarted it, closed it, then opened it immediately to see what was happening, and the shutdown/restart sequence was continuing, so I closed it.

When I got to work the next day, it appeared that I had to start it from scratch. Then the display was wrong, and could only be set to 1024x768, or 800x600. I eventually looked at Device Manager, there was a yellow caution triangle over my display, and a check for drivers found and downloaded and installed an updated one, which fixed the display. Cannot imagine how a month-old laptop would have had this problem, so I'm blaming it on my closing the laptop during restart.

So in addition to the initial question, I would also wonder:
    1. When is the optimal time to close a laptop?
    2. If a laptop is closed when not in use, when/how does it automatically get Windows updates?

asus2016, May 2, 2020
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, May 2, 2020
  4. Laptop closing down and restarting.

Laptop is suddenly closed down while working

Hi Ankit,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

• What is the complete error message that you receive?
    • How often does it close down?
    I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Place the system in Safe Mode and check if it works fine.

1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.

2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5
    for Safe Mode with networking.

I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit Enter.
    NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press
    Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Laptop closing down and restarting.

1. Laptop closing down and restarting. - Similar Threads - Laptop closing down

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarts after shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop restarts after shut down: Hi, my laptop will restart after shutting down, What is the cause of this issue and how to solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-restarts-after-shut-down/10cffe66-5e17-4326-be4b-03f550275d86
  4. Laptop won't restart or shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't restart or shut down: If I attempt to restart the laptop it shows the black screen with the dots rotating with the "restarting" text on it and nothing happens, If I try to shut down the same happens only with the "shutting down" text. I tried shutting down all programs before turning off and It...
  5. Laptop closed down in 1 minute

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop closed down in 1 minute: Hello Please show me how to fix my laptop Acer that is using windows 10 is always closed down screen suddenly in 1 minute after turning on. Thank you for your helping!...
  6. Laptop slows down on restart.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop slows down on restart.: My laptop slows down massively when I restart it. I think windows is deleting drivers. Last time this happened I reinstalled nvidia drivers and it fixed it but I don't want to have to do that every time I turn off my pc. Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz...
  7. Closing down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Closing down: When I click close, message says 'closing down' but then clicks back on a second later. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/closing-down/cb60a79a-1a5b-4c1c-ac1c-b7e46b5cac35
  8. Safe to close laptop during restart?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe to close laptop during restart?: This is an embarrassing question, that I'd think I could google a definitive answer for, but I can't: Is it safe to close a laptop (in my case, an HP Probook 450 G5) while it's restarting? The background: It's been more than 15 years since I used a laptop extensively, but...
  9. Unable to close down laptop after installation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to close down laptop after installation.: Hi there, *ConfusedMy laptop has been running windows 7 very successfully and after being prompted numerous times to install Windows 10, I went ahead last night. Had no problems with the installation, however, on attempting to close down, the laptop would only turn-off after...
  10. shortcut close down and restart windows

in Windows 10 Support
    shortcut close down and restart windows: in windows 7 and 8 I could place a shortcut on my desktop to either closedown or restart my PC which I found on the Windows 8 site. will this still work on windows 10? 8727