Windows 10: Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes

Discus and support Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I mainly work on a laptop and have it connected to a monitor at all times. On my extended monitor I usually have Youtube, Netflix, or whatever media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kyto1984, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Kyto1984 Win User

Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes

I mainly work on a laptop and have it connected to a monitor at all times. On my extended monitor I usually have Youtube, Netflix, or whatever media platform playing. If I close the lid for whatever reason, the extended monitor's resolution changes, and all my work from my primary laptop monitor moves to the extended monitor.

This only started happening when I updated to Window's 10 build 19042.

I've already set the lid to "Do Nothing" when closed underneath the Power Options setting. Also, if I have the Display option windows up where I can see Monitor 1 and Monitor 2, if I close the lid I can see that my laptop Monitor 1 disappears completely. The same is true under Advanced Display Settings.

If I revert to a previous version of Windows this problem completely goes away, but when I update it simply returns.

Could you please direct me to what the build 19042 update changed that made this problem appear? Thank you.

:)

Kyto1984, Apr 8, 2021
  2. (MasonM) Win User

Close lid, extend display stays extended.

o I just got a small TV that I am using as a second monitor and have connected my Laptop to using an HDMI cable and want to make it so if I shut my lid the second monitor will stay extended instead of making it the primary display as if the laptop is
    not there anymore. I can get this to work some of the time, but most of the time if I close my lid it will act as if the secondary display is now the primary display. Plugged in I have the power setting set so if I close the lid nothing happens. I'm not sure
    why the sudden change and would love to be able to be able to close my lid as there is an obvious size/resolution difference between the two.

(MasonM), Apr 8, 2021
  3. ekeda Win User
    Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

Yep, it's on "do nothing", but this disappears when you use the hack since it basically kind of disables the lid functionality feeding it with the wrong driver.

It seems there is no easy workaround (maybe disable/enable the internal display driver on startup someone on another forum has suggested, but I haven't tested) for this if you want to use duplicate or extended display and you want to use the sleep function with closed screen.

But if you make your second display (the external monitor) your main and restart after that the lag is gone with Windows starting and applying this setting before loading its processes. I didn't restarted the first time because I thought it will instantly change with no lag, which is not the case.

So, the sum up for people ending up here in the future is this:
    1) If you want duplicate/extended display and ability to close/open the lid without laptop turning the screen off, but not being able to use the sleep function with closed screen -> use the hack
    2) If you want to use sleep with closed lid you have to use only the external display, making it your main (see picture below -> select "show only on") and restart after that

Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes expand-duplicate-monitors-windows-10.jpg

ekeda, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes

2nd display not detected when Laptop Lid is Closed.

Hi,

I am using an external monitor together with my laptop and I usually will extend the display to the external monitor. Usually when I want to watch videos or anything, I will bring the specific window to the extended display and close my laptop lid, and the
    computer will still recognise that there are 2 displays . But recently when I close my laptop lid, the computer does not recognise the multiple displays (only recognises my external display), and merges all the windows / the main screen to the external monitor.
    Only when I open my laptop lid then the computer will extend the displays. I've tried setting it to "Do Nothing" when I close the lid in the power settings, but it is still the same.

Anyone can help with this problem? Thanks.

jingkangah, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes

1. Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes - Similar Threads - Laptop Closing lid

2. Turn off laptop display on lid close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off laptop display on lid close: I want my laptop display to turn off when I close the lid with the power connected. This has always been the default, but with Win 11, I cannot find a way to enable this behavior. There is no option in the power settings to turn off the display; only Do Nothing, Hibernate,...
  3. Turn off laptop display on lid close

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off laptop display on lid close: I want my laptop display to turn off when I close the lid with the power connected. This has always been the default, but with Win 11, I cannot find a way to enable this behavior. There is no option in the power settings to turn off the display; only Do Nothing, Hibernate,...
  4. Display resolution on monitor changing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display resolution on monitor changing: When I use "Extend" when after pressing Win + P, my monitor resolution is fine. But then when I close the laptop lid or make it "Second screen only" the resolution becomes worse. Not really sure how it started or when but I am sure it wasn't always like this. I will attach a...
  5. Keep monitor on while laptop lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keep monitor on while laptop lid is closed.: Hello I have an Acer Swift 5 laptop connected to an HP monitor through HDMI to Vga connecting cable. Whenever I close the lid of my laptop the duplicated display on the monitor vanishes. I have tried the option mentioned below. But still, I am facing the same problem....
  6. Disable password when laptop lid is closed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable password when laptop lid is closed: Buna ziua. Vreau sa dezactivez parola din modul inchis sau repaus. Am incercat cu win+R dar am creat un cont nou si nici pe acesta nu mai stiu sa il sterg. Ajutor , va rog! Moderator Translated from Romanian: Hello. I want to disable the password in closed or sleep mode....
  7. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  8. Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.: I just bought a new monitor (LG 27"), and at the moment I have the screens duplicated. Both are showing resolution of 3840 x 2160, and life is wonderful. Occasionally I'd like to close the laptop lid, OR at least go to screen 2 only (neck issues - trying to train...
  9. Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid: Hi, I just bought some monitor to use with my Dell laptop and connected it through the HDMI port of the second graphics display. The problem is that when I close the lid, the laptop automatically turns off the laptop display and stops using the internal video card which...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...