Windows 10: Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

Discus and support Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My laptop is connected via an hdmi cable to a monitor. I was always able to power up the laptop with the lid closed. After a recent update was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AZNorb, May 14, 2022.

1. AZNorb Win User

Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

My laptop is connected via an hdmi cable to a monitor. I was always able to power up the laptop with the lid closed. After a recent update was installed, I no longer can power up the system unless I raise the cover. What changed?

:)

AZNorb, May 14, 2022

2. monitor not detected while laptop lid is closed

I have a two monitor setup using separate USB C to HDMI cables for each monitors. I change the settings in the power plans to do nothing when the lid is closed for both when plugged in and not plugged in. However, when I close the lid one of the monitors
    no longer displays and is not detected by my computer. It seems as though the power supply to the cable shuts off when the lid closes. It is strange because it seems that only one port of the three total I have on my laptop stays active when the lid closes.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Damien Lipsky, May 14, 2022
  3. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, May 14, 2022
  4. Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

monitor not detected while laptop lid is closed

I have a two monitor setup using separate USB C to HDMI cables for each monitors. I change the settings in the power plans to do nothing when the lid is closed for both when plugged in and not plugged in. However, when
    I close the lid one of the monitors no longer displays and is not detected by my computer. It seems as though the power supply to the cable shuts off when the lid closes. It is strange because it seems that only one port of the three total I have on my laptop
    stays active when the lid closes. The power setting is set to high performance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Damien Lipsky, May 14, 2022
Thema:

Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

1. Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed. - Similar Threads - Laptop connected monitor

2. Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.: My laptop is connected via an hdmi cable to a monitor. I was always able to power up the laptop with the lid closed. After a recent update was installed, I no longer can power up the system unless I raise the cover. What changed?...
  3. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  4. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  5. How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?: I have an external monitor setup with my win10 laptop and everything works fine and I want to press the laptop power button to power up and start windows with the laptop lid always closed. How do I do this? submitted by /u/cryptotentnew [link] [comments]...
  6. Closing the laptop's lid doesn't keep both the connected monitors "ON"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Closing the laptop's lid doesn't keep both the connected monitors "ON": So I have an Acer laptop to which I have two extended monitors connected: one directly via HDMI and the other through USBA-HDMI adapter (since there's only one HDMI port on the laptop). When I close laptop's lid though, I see both the monitors flickering and sometimes one of...
  7. Laptop lid close settings no longer working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop lid close settings no longer working: Recently, possibly because of a system update, my settings with an external monitor no longer work. I had my power options set to - plugged in, when i close my laptop screen -do nothing. And that worked, when I closed my laptop screen my external monitor still worked as a...
  8. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  9. Windows 10 laptop no longer sleeping when lid closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 laptop no longer sleeping when lid closed: My Lenovo Yoga 910, since updates in late 2018, is no longer sleeping when I close the lid. I'll pull it out of my backpack sleeve and it will be overheating from lack of airflow or the battery will be dead. I have power settings set to sleep when lid closed, display turn off...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...